blind location question

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

blind location question

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:00 pm

There is a perminate blind (built 5-8 feet off of the shoreline) on one of the lakes that I hunt. It is on a point where the lake slits into two coves. The cove on the right hand side continues for about a mile with only a few homes at the end. The cove on the left continues about 500 yards with houses on the outer side. Here is the problem. There is a boat dock to a house located at the 7 o`clock position from the front of the blind (if you were looking out the front of the blind) The house is 70-90 yards away. We had been seeing alot of ducks go up into this cove. We decided to get to this blind early as it`s first come first serve. As we pulled up to the blind at 4:30 in the morning I did notice a small what looked like a chem light on the bank next to the dock. Figured it was a marker for the people that owned the dock. About 10 minutes after legal shooting hours the ducks sure showed up. I dropped a green head at first shot. As ducks were still coming in I heard someone yell " Your hunting in a baited area". I turned and saw a gentelman standing next to that green light that I had seen. He repeated his statment and I asked how he knew that. Apparently this guy feeds ducks off of that pier and has placed a sign reading no hunting, baited area. Hense the green light. Hell you have to pull up and be 10 ft away to read the sign. I honestly didn`t know what to do so I apoligized and we left. By the way, there were ducks all over us. They were decoying as we where picking up the decoys. And to make matters worse, the motor wouldn`t start and we had to paddle. So what is the rule on this situation? If it is legal should we return to the blind chancing another run in?
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NCSUDucker » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:06 pm

I'd give the GW a call and explain the situation and get his take. There's probably not a lot that can be done and a lot of homeowner's bait so that they can keep people from hunting an area. Which to an extent could be considered harrasement but probably not.

Ducker
A good friend will bail you out of jail...A TRUE friend will say, "Damn that was fun!"
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Re: blind location question

Postby Monroeduck » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:02 am

stumpjumper wrote: We had been seeing alot of ducks go up into this cove. As we pulled up to the blind at 4:30 in the morning So what is the rule on this situation? If it is legal should we return to the blind chancing another run in?

Not to be a smart arse but if you saw a bunch of ducks using a cove in the piedmont that should have been your first sign that something wasn't right. If you got there at 4:30 and there wasn't anyone there yet, that should have been your second sign that something wasn't right.

If the area is baited, you never said if you checked but based on your comments I would think it was. If the area is baited no it isn't legal to hunt there. If the homeowner put out bait to keep people from hunting then personally I wouldn't run the risk of another run in. If he calls the warden and the warden finds bait you are toast. Around here it would be very easy for the warden to use your comments above against you to say you should have known bait was there. Ignorance to bait isn't enough. I know someone will reply that you have to prove a hunter knew there was bait there, well the homeowner told you, but even then in this section of the state if the birds are dropping in like bombs then something isn't right.
Monroeduck
hunter

Postby THIN MAN » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:49 pm

Talked two diffrent wardens about this very subject. One said they have to prove you baited or knew it was there. The other said if your within 100 yds your up shat creek. So obviously its a judgement call on there part and I wouldn't trust their's on this subject! I have got a definant answer on this though, if someone is baiting to " frame hunters", if they are caught their penalty is much steeper than those hunting. There was a woman on High Rock caught doing this.

THIN MAN
For we were born yesterday,and know nothing,
because our days on earth are only a shadow.

JOB 8:9
THIN MAN
hunter

Postby watrswatr » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:42 pm

What ol' mister wardeno will do is write the ticket and let the judge sort it out.
watrswatr
Banned

blind location question

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:22 pm

Hey Monroeduck it`s cool. To clearify the baited issue. The gentalmen feeds the ducks off of his dock. There is NO bait placed at the blind. Alot of people do this to try to keep hunters away. There is bait in the area if that`s what you want to call it. He doesn`t dump bags of corn either. He simply feeds the ducks. I did talk to a GW when my daughter was taking her hunter saftey course. He said it was legal to hunt there. That alot of people feed ducks on the lake and it would basicaly be impossiple to consider this a baited area. As for the ducks coming to the cove, I have hunted around 250 yards away on an outcrop where you can still see the mouth of that cove. Ducks don`t always flock to it. There are days when you see alot and some days none at all. As for arriving at 4:30 to the blind, this is the normal time I arrive and I as of yet have had anyone beat me to a location. Most of the guys get to the ramp at 4:30. I`m already at my blind by then putting out decoys. I know this is a sticky situation and I don`t want to bring added attention to me or fellow duck hunters. But if you live on the lake, duck hunter are something you are going to have to deal with. I have a 100 acre field in front of my house and have to deal with dove, goose, and crow hunters. Shot rains down on my house. It`s part of living in the country. Some times your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Re: blind location question

Postby NCSUDucker » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:44 am

stumpjumper wrote:Hey Monroeduck it`s cool. To clearify the baited issue. The gentalmen feeds the ducks off of his dock. There is NO bait placed at the blind. Alot of people do this to try to keep hunters away. There is bait in the area if that`s what you want to call it. He doesn`t dump bags of corn either. He simply feeds the ducks. I did talk to a GW when my daughter was taking her hunter saftey course. He said it was legal to hunt there. That alot of people feed ducks on the lake and it would basicaly be impossiple to consider this a baited area. As for the ducks coming to the cove, I have hunted around 250 yards away on an outcrop where you can still see the mouth of that cove. Ducks don`t always flock to it. There are days when you see alot and some days none at all. As for arriving at 4:30 to the blind, this is the normal time I arrive and I as of yet have had anyone beat me to a location. Most of the guys get to the ramp at 4:30. I`m already at my blind by then putting out decoys. I know this is a sticky situation and I don`t want to bring added attention to me or fellow duck hunters. But if you live on the lake, duck hunter are something you are going to have to deal with. I have a 100 acre field in front of my house and have to deal with dove, goose, and crow hunters. Shot rains down on my house. It`s part of living in the country. Some times your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Arriving early at 4:30 :eek: you don't hunt High Rock any then do ya....there would be 20 trucks in the lot at 4:30:toofunny: In all seriousness good response. How old a fella are you? I'm originally from Gold Hill and know a right good many people down around the Richfield/New London area.

Ducker
A good friend will bail you out of jail...A TRUE friend will say, "Damn that was fun!"
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

blind location question

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:53 pm

Hey there NCSUDUCKER. Yes I do hunt High Rock at times. But I have a 14 ft Jon boat with a 9.5 motor. Take the motor off and you can put in in alot of different little creeks. Just throw in your gear and re-attach the moter and away we go. Save traveling 6 miles by water. Little sneaky. But seriously I hunt on HR maybe twice a year. As for my age, I`m 39 years old. My family has lived in Albemarle for around 22 years. But I only attended Albemarle HS for to years. My dad was a lifer in the Army. Then I joined. I`ve lived permanetly in New London for 11 years now. And LOVE it. So does my wife and daughter. I`ve only been duck hunting for 5 years now and learned by trial and error and reading books. My daughter and best friend duck hunt with me and rely on me for info. They don`t know it but I suck. I haven`t had the oppurtunity to learn from others. But hey, we kill ducks. Education by the school of hard knocks works for me.
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NCSUDucker » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:52 pm

We probably know a few of the same folks then! Good luck and I'll probably see you around this season. If you see a "odd clump of brush" being pushed by a Mud Buddy surface drive motor, say hello!

Ducker
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

blind location question

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:05 pm

We probably are trying to beat each other to the same blind. :laughing: If you see a 14 footer with a old 74 9.5 painted cattail camo stop and say hi. Good luck to you and send em my way.
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fish&fowl loco » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:15 pm

I know the place your talking about I fished the pier were the guy baits, it looks like a corn truck wrecked on the pier. No it's not high Rock, BTW that pier is good for a keeper :getdown:
If mergansers were pintails I would be a happy man
fish&fowl loco
hunter

blind location question

Postby stumpjumper » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:31 pm

So fish&fowl loco are you saying that it`s legal in your opinion to hunt that blind? To tell you the truth I`ve never been that close to the pier to actually know if the guy was dumping bags of corn or not. Thanks for keeping the location a mystery. To be honest if the guy is dumping loads of corn at the end of the pier and then placing baited area signs there and yelling at anyone within earshot to leave, wouldn`t that be somewhat wrong. He is dileberatly trying to keep LEGAL duck hunters away or calling the warden to have them ticketed. I have alot of other ares to hunt. But it angers me that this guy thinks that those ducks are his. Again I DO NOT want to bring undue attention to myself or other duck hunters but where do we as hunters draw the line. We lose acre after acre every day to developments. I~m just tired of others thinking that they dictate our way of life.
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NCSUDucker » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:45 pm

I'm pretty sure he was saying its a good spot for a "keeper" meaning big bass :salude:

Ducker
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fish&fowl loco » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:38 pm

I would even come close to hunting that blind, It's just not corn on the pier but all around the bank. I don't need to kill a duck that bad, even if the guy did not bait I would'nt hunt it to close to houses for me.

Ducker is right about the bass :salude:
If mergansers were pintails I would be a happy man
fish&fowl loco
hunter

blind location question

Postby stumpjumper » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:12 am

Well I figured that the place was a bust. Oh well. Thanks for the info. Hope you have a great season. :salude:
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby smokinquacknc » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:44 am

im not sure where you are talking about but it sounds a lot like a place ive hunted some on tillary, ive hunted it and had some really good luck without anyone stopping me. if it is the same spot the back of that creek is a hell of a woody swat in the first season. i talked to a GW about a similar situation, he told me that the laws about hunting baited areas are different sometimes from county to county but he said that if the person baiting the ducks is keeping you from being able to legaly harvest game then they can get a ticket for hunter harrassment. if i were you i think i would try hunting in the back of that creek before i would sit right in front of the corn.
smokinquacknc
hunter

Postby Pot Hole » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:37 am

There are days when you see alot and some days none at all. As for arriving at 4:30 to the blind, this is the normal time I arrive and I as of yet have had anyone beat me to a location.

If other hunters find out that the blind is legal to hunt and there are that many ducks coming to it, 4:30 won't be nearly early enough to get there. Trust me. :cool: [/quote]
Pot Hole
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting