Cedar Island ducks

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Cedar Island ducks

Postby DuckMauler » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:17 am

Did anyone hunt Cedar island last year??? If so were there many birds, Im tryin to find a descent place to go kill some duck on the coast during my Christmas break this year, every year we have no success, but if someone could please give me some suggestions i would greatly appreciate it..
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby TooTall » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:57 am

We hunted out of Cedar Island with Goodwin's guide service for the youth hunt. Shot a couple of bluebills. We had a couple bunches of pintails work, but stayed too far out. We also saw a flock of brant and a few mergies.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:03 am

thanks for the info man, what boat ramp did yall put in at if you remember?????
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:03 am

If you're trying to go down there and hunt on your own, I say forget it. Hire a guide... They know where the bait is and also where the ducks are. As far as duck numbers, it can be hit or miss in my experience. I have hunted with Buddy Goodwin and had some decent success. Ira Day can put you on the Bluebills and buffleheads. There is another guy named Steve (Goodwin I think)...I've heard he's good, but haven't hunted with him. If you've never been, get Buddy to take you over to Portsmouth. We saw literally 1000s of redheads, pintails, buffleheads, and brant there year before last. Last year, we hunted with Dallas Goodwin Jr. (now deceased). The ducks just weren't there when we were. We killed a couple of scoters and a beautiful GW teal over in the Swash. If you need more info, I can hook you up. My wife's family lives down there and I know alot of folks in the area.
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

thanks for the info

Postby DuckMauler » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:42 pm

Hey, im tryin to stay away from the guide thing, i have only had success one time with a guide, me and my partner went out with Cpt. Jennett with Jennetts guide service, and we shot a limit of scoters, the hunt was really good, but danged if im gonna pay his price this year, it went up a third, i just wanna know whats legal, i looked on a map of cedar NWR, and if you put in at on hwy 12 you can go out towards cedar island, but you can only hunt the right side i believe. Im just curious about this area bc i went out with a guide one time at cedar island and we saw literally thousands of ducks, but we had a sorry guide, i just wanna know whats legal. Any other info will be greatly appreciated.
DuckMauler
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting