Falls of Neuse Lake Duck Hunting

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Falls of Neuse Lake Duck Hunting

Postby lvduckhunter » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:01 pm

I am a new resident to your State (absolutely love it here) and am having difficulty getting reliable information about Falls of Neuse Lake Duck Hunting opportunities. I have found that you can put in for the special permit hunts... how about other public land opportunities on the lake? Can you hunt there and is it worth it?

Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.
lvduckhunter
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:17 pm

Go to your local Wal-Mart and get a gameland map book. You can hunt alot of the lake and many of the creeks and swamps around the lake with no permit. The problem is that there are 3-4 times as many hunters as there are ducks. Pressure is heavy and you are almost certain to have someone set up on top of you. I have hunted the swamps for the past 5 yrs, but I am probably going to give it up because I'm tired of getting out there at 4am and every yahoo in the world is lining that creek and skyblasting ducks. By the time they get to your hole, they are wise and won't even give your dekes a second look. With all that being said, I have had some good hunts out there. One morning 3 years ago, 3 of us killed 14 ducks (10 mallards, 1 pintail, 1 gadwall, 1 wood duck, and 1 black duck)!
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby lvduckhunter » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:27 pm

Thanks,

I have a small jon boat and an electric motor. Is getting on the lake away from people possible?
lvduckhunter
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:04 pm

If you have a small boat w/ outboard, you can find some nice spots on the Flatt river. The good spots on the lake will be crowded... If you go during the week, its alot better than saturdays.
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby lvduckhunter » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:45 pm

kh
Last edited by lvduckhunter on Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lvduckhunter
hunter

Postby uncduckman » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:03 am

please read the post on cyberscouting. Get to know some of the guys on here and shoot them a pm. MAYBE they will help you.

Welcome to NC. it is an awesome place with alot of hunters and few ducks.
uncduckman
hunter

Re: Falls of Neuse Lake Duck Hunting

Postby scoobycarolan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:33 am

Hey y'all, I'm new to wake county too. I called the depot, but just keep getting the machine. So you can't hunt the impoundment Sioux a permit after November 1, but the areas above the water are considered game lands so that means I can set my dekes anywheres on Falls lake? As long as I'm on the right days, game lands permit, 100 yards and all that?
scoobycarolan
Newb

Postby EastBound&Down » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:05 am

There are areas on the lake that are state park that you can not hunt. All this can be found online under the game lands book.
Please clarify what you mean by the 100yds?
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby scoobycarolan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:24 am

I meant a 100 yards from buildings & basically just following general game land regs.

I've looked at the maps. So if it's "open water" aka unrestricted I'm good to go?
scoobycarolan
Newb

Postby quackedout » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:20 pm

The whole surface of the lake is gameland I believe so you can basically hunt where you want from the boat. Also, there is a lot of the shoreline that is gameland. It is very crowded and I think it sucks personally.
quackedout
hunter

Postby scoobycarolan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:39 pm

I'm sure it's crowded. But its 20 from my house so I'll be able to get in almost every open morning before work.
scoobycarolan
Newb

Postby berudd » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:30 am

scoobycarolan wrote:I'm sure it's crowded. But its 20 from my house so I'll be able to get in almost every open morning before work.

If you can do that it would be a good plan. You may already know this but it is restricted to only certain days of the week so check that regs before heading out. My experience has been that you won't find many birds early in the season except for some woodies.
berudd
hunter

Postby RugerandMe » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:17 am

I live right beside the lake and all I can say is, plan to have someone set up within 50 yds of you unless you hunt during the week. Saturdays are a joke and if you try to hunt a walk in spot, 5 groups of guys will be right behind you.

We hunted a creek last year and walked in. A guy snuck in alone right at LST and sat down on a bucket 40 yds down from us. He had no waders, decoys, or light. First duck that flew within 75 yds he shot at, we cussed him out, and he decided to leave. Still have no clue what the guy was thinking. That same morning, a group of high school kids walked in on the other side of us. They were nice though and we asked that if they were going to hunt, to move down the creek at least 100 yds. They did. However, they only had a couple decoys and one guy didn't even have waders, I did overhear him say his shoes were water resistant though :fingerhead:

Fun times on Falls!!!
RugerandMe
hunter

Postby scoobycarolan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:40 am

Thanks for the tip. I'm considering using my canoe now that I know how busy it is!
scoobycarolan
Newb

Postby JWH15 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:53 am

RugerandMe wrote:I live right beside the lake and all I can say is, plan to have someone set up within 50 yds of you unless you hunt during the week. Saturdays are a joke and if you try to hunt a walk in spot, 5 groups of guys will be right behind you.

We hunted a creek last year and walked in. A guy snuck in alone right at LST and sat down on a bucket 40 yds down from us. He had no waders, decoys, or light. First duck that flew within 75 yds he shot at, we cussed him out, and he decided to leave. Still have no clue what the guy was thinking. That same morning, a group of high school kids walked in on the other side of us. They were nice though and we asked that if they were going to hunt, to move down the creek at least 100 yds. They did. However, they only had a couple decoys and one guy didn't even have waders, I did overhear him say his shoes were water resistant though :fingerhead:

Fun times on Falls!!!

I feel your pain. It has become a joke, use to be able to have some good hunts about 6-10 years ago pretty regularly. Now not so much. Seems like there are more and more highschoolers hunting there every year. I usually don't bother going anymore but sometimes I still get the itch to give the ol faithful holes a try but usually not very successful.
JWH15
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting