Right boat for Piedmont Duck Hunting?

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Right boat for Piedmont Duck Hunting?

Postby lvduckhunter » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:30 pm

Recent transplant, I got the game land book that was recommended. I have taken a look at Falls Lake and am going to have a peek at Harris this week. I have an 11 ft. john boat with an electric motor. I am thinking that I am going to have to get an outboard, only problem is that it is only rated for 5 h.p. I like small boats and have fished and hunted out of it for 10 yrs. Will this configuration be adequate for the lakes around this area, or should I be looking for another boat?

Also, quick question I haven't been able to answer from my reading....Are all of the impoundments on Falls Lake a special hunt draw? I thought I saw some that were not in the special hunt opportunities. Thanks for help.
It is nice to be important, but more important to be nice.
lvduckhunter
hunter

Postby THIN MAN » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:55 pm

I would definatly look for something bigger, for me 11 ft is just too small. Don't get me wrong you can def use it just as you have, but you'll be restricted in more ways than not. Try to find something 15-16' and you'll probably be much happier not to mention ALOT safer! :thumbsup:
For we were born yesterday,and know nothing,
because our days on earth are only a shadow.

JOB 8:9
THIN MAN
hunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:58 am

I would definitely look for something larger. Most of the lakes around Raleigh Durham enough to kick up some heavy chop when the wind is up, enough so that I wouldn't feel comfortable in an 11' boat.

Ducker
A good friend will bail you out of jail...A TRUE friend will say, "Damn that was fun!"
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:54 am

That boat with a small outboard is perfect for getting into some of the creeks and such around Falls... A canoe is better, but what you've got will work. I'm with the rest of the guys...I'd go with a bigger boat if you're going out on the lakes themselves.
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby lvduckhunter » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:04 am

Thanks. I hadn't thought about chop. I'll get a boat before season. I checked out craig'slist.com There were a lot of boats for sale in this area, and reasonably priced.
Last edited by lvduckhunter on Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is nice to be important, but more important to be nice.
lvduckhunter
hunter

Postby uncduckman » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:47 am

get a 16 ft carolina skiff and paint it ...that is a good boats for those lakes
uncduckman
hunter

Postby JrCoach_Lou » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:00 am

lvduckhunter,
check your PM's, I sent you one about Falls Lake. Not all the impoundments require a permit, several are open to all hunters all season - but of course that leads to more crowded conditions. Pay attention to the regs - you can't hunt ducks every day on every lake and some require you to stop hunting by 1pm. You have to check the specific regulations for each game land in the "game lands" section of the regs digest.

One thing that I'm not sure was mentioned is that on both Falls Lake and Jordan Lake the NCWRC rotates the flooding of impoundments from year to year. Some of these are "green tree" impoundments which means they want to keep the trees alive (green) so they only flood them for part of the year and some years they don't flood them at all. I haven't checked this year's game lands book yet, but in the past, they've printed the flooding schedule in the game lands book. One additional source of excellent information about current conditions is to speak with the NCWRC folks based in the Butner Depot. These are the guys who run the pumps, plow the fields. Their number is 919-620-0089.

Boats are great, but I tend to agree with Mr. Taxidermist that a canoe is also a useful craft for Falls. I'm talking about the headwaters, up into coves, and up into feeder creeks for jump shooting. I've explored a bunch of them in my 16' canoe, but still have a lot to check out!

Maybe the best way is to buy that bigger boat then make friends with a person who owns a canoe? :-)

Good Luck,
Lou
JrCoach_Lou
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting