Any Help For a California Boy?

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Any Help For a California Boy?

Postby Cfeldheim » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:44 pm

Hello from California! I'm wondering if you guys can help me out. I'm an avid waterfowl hunter and waterfowl biologist (I did my graduate work through Delta Waterfowl on their large scale predator removal project in North Dakota, I worked about 3 years for my local waterfowl association, CWA, and about 3 years for Cal Fish Game under the flyway rep; I spent a lot of time studying spinning winged decoys, and I've gotta say it kills me that state after state uses "California data" to ban them, but I've still got them in my state!). But that's not what I need help with...My wife's sister lives in Elizabeth City and has a house in the Outer Banks, in Corrolla. I'll be there visitng her about the second week in October. My wife knows me well enough that if we travel in October, I'm hunting (my son was born the day before duck season opened, after an emergency c-section and 20+ hours of labor, I left the hospital at 4:00 am, shot my limit and was back to the hospital before 9:00 am, she didn;t even know I was gone!).

I'm wondering if you guys have any advice on guides in that area? I'd love to hunt something different (e.g. sea ducks), but would also like to simply experience some different habitat and hunting traditions. Any thoughts? Thanks!

P.S. if any of you are ever out here, I can likely set you up with a good quality hunt!

Cliff
Cfeldheim
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:53 pm

Sea ducks will likely be your only choice at that time. There are special regs on them since other duck hunting during that time is closed. I'm not sure how many sea ducks are here then. Maybe some of the guys can help you out. Also, check over at the fuge.

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/forumdisplay.php?f=60
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:31 pm

regular ducks will not be in it appears.
Monroeduck
hunter

Postby pamlicohunter » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:59 pm

The only duck season that will be in at that time is sea ducks, and at that time there might not be a lot of birds around. What little sea duck hunting I have done has been in Dec. and Jan. I will be in Ocracoke the 8th - 15th, if you are going to be in the area at that time and want to do some offshore fishing we always have room for another as long as you are willing to split the gas.
pamlicohunter
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:19 pm

I'd probably shoot for a fall fishing trip. There should be some really good fishing about the time you're here. You won't need a license, but do book a guide.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby Cfeldheim » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:10 pm

pamlicohunter,

thanks for the offer! I should be near there during that time. I'd love to do some fishing and see something different (what kind of fishing?); gas money is not a problem. No need for a fishing license?? Perhaps, we can talk more through email (cfeldheim@cnlm.org)? I should have a date nailed down this week. Thanks again,

Cliff
Cfeldheim
hunter

Postby pamlicohunter » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:30 pm

We will be mainly fishing offshore for kings, tuna, and whatever else bites. Also during that time of the year the large red drum will be heading back into the ocean from the sound. We will be there the entire week and will be planning our fishing trips with the weather. Shoot me a PM around the first of Sept. and we can possibly set something up.
pamlicohunter
hunter

Postby DarkThirty Killer » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:01 pm

According to some of the guides, last year the scoters were thicker than the mosquitos all of Oct. But who's to say they will be there this year during that time. PM me if you want someone who could problally hook you up. one bad thing, if you want one to mount, they will not fully plumed out yet.
There is no such thing as a cripple being too close!!! If so, you might never see it again. I'm not going to take that chance!!!
DarkThirty Killer
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting