Wake County Spread

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Wake County Spread

Postby lvduckhunter » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:56 pm

Started going through my decoys from the recent move to Wake Forest. Occurred to me that I may not have what I need for this area. I am currently running Greenhead and G&H mallards at 3 dozen and a dozen teal for effect. I have some floater honkers but rarely brought them out. Any suggestions or additions? I have never seen a wood duck and have no idea if I should get decoys.

My big concern is weights also, I have been using tangle free about 4 ft. but don't know if I should go longer or shorter for the lakes in this area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
It is nice to be important, but more important to be nice.
lvduckhunter
hunter

Postby THIN MAN » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:00 pm

A good start with those species. Definately use the geese theres a ton of resident birds around here. I would add a dozen or so coots and ring necks and maybe some buffies for hunting inland lakes. On the wood duck subject, some guys use and some guys don't. I have them and used them but i've shot more woodies over all mallard decs. Not saying they don't work just my exp. As far as decoy line I too use the tangle free with depth adjusters on my puddle ducks. I run about 7ft of line and never had a prob since that stuff sinks so well, I feel that much cord helps gives me more options with my spread. Just my .02

THIN MAN
For we were born yesterday,and know nothing,
because our days on earth are only a shadow.

JOB 8:9
THIN MAN
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:12 am

If you're planning on hunting Falls Lake, you are fine on dekes. Ringnecks will lay into the mallard dekes with a vengance. I've never seen where wood duck dekes make a difference. I've always found with woodies, its best to be where they want to go.
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby smokinquacknc » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:06 pm

i would for sure add some divers probably ringnecks, if for no other reason just to put some white on the water.
smokinquacknc
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting