Blinds in Carteret County

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Blinds in Carteret County

Postby mfetter » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:38 pm

I am confused about the blind laws in Carteret County. If I understand correctly the large majority of islands are considered to be public land. If the island has a blind on it but no one occupying the blind can you hunt the island? Or....If there is a random blind in the water near land and it is not occupied can you hunt with-in 500yds of that blind?

:huh:
If you cant find the duck you hit find someone with a DD.
mfetter
hunter

Re: Blinds in Carteret County

Postby wstober » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:54 pm

Not trying to be difficult but you really need to read the post "POACHERS" currently running. Read all 5 pages and you will get the best answer you can without talking to a game warden.
wstober
hunter

Postby steelslinger » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:14 am

wstober wrote:Not trying to be difficult but you really need to read the post "POACHERS" currently running. Read all 5 pages and you will get the best answer you can without talking to a game warden.

And probably enough answers to not want to hunt the area :hammer: :biggrin:
If you hunt WITH your children today, you won't hunt FOR them tomorrow
Put "em in the woods and keep 'em off the streets
gangrig25 wrote:SO YOU WANT A PAT ON THE BACK OR WHAT :huh:
steelslinger
Capt. Obvious

Postby mfetter » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:46 pm

Looks like I need to talk with the game warden.......Not a good clear answer in 5pgs.
If you cant find the duck you hit find someone with a DD.
mfetter
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:00 am

mfetter wrote:I am confused about the blind laws in Carteret County. If I understand correctly the large majority of islands are considered to be public land. If the island has a blind on it but no one occupying the blind can you hunt the island? Or....If there is a random blind in the water near land and it is not occupied can you hunt with-in 500yds of that blind?

:huh:

If those islands are in the Game Lands program, have at it. Doesn't matter if an open water blind is less than 500 from you. But i'm guessing those islands are not in the program so you'd have to find out autual "ownership" and get permission from them. Probably either state owned or under the rules of the nearest municipality.

If the islands you speak of are part of the Cape Lookout National Seashore, it's a whole different ballgame, you'd need to look up their r and r's.(I don't think a permanent blind can be built on them, however.)

And "occupancy" of a blind has no bearing with blind laws. As long as any structure that meets the state's def of a blind is within 500 or less of where you want to set up, you will be considered in violations of the law, occupied or not.

Your biggest chore will be to find out who the actual owner of those islands are and getting permission to hunt them.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:53 pm

Cape Lookout National Seashore has a drawing for temporary blinds every fall. You need to check with them in late summer. That is a good start. Even though many do not agree with the Carteret/Pamlico law, it is the Law. Most of the complaints seem to stem from those that do not have a blind, nor have taken to the time to locate a spot to build a blind, or are not ready to invest hundreds of dollars to build and maintain a blind.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting