Flooding schedule for Falls and Jordan impoundments

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Flooding schedule for Falls and Jordan impoundments

Postby JrCoach_Lou » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:26 am

Just curious whether anyone knows the flooding plan for the impoundments at Falls and Jordan this year?

I know in years past that the flooding schedule has been published in the Game Lands book, I don't recall seeing it in there this year. Are there any impoundments that are going to remain un-flooded this season?

Thanks,
Lou
JrCoach_Lou
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:46 am

Call up the guys over at the Butner Depot and ask. I have never talked to them, but my buddy always calls before his permit hunts to find out what species of ducks are using the impoundments. He said those guys are real nice.
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby JrCoach_Lou » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:19 am

Mr. Taxidermist wrote:Call up the guys over at the Butner Depot and ask. I have never talked to them, but my buddy always calls before his permit hunts to find out what species of ducks are using the impoundments. He said those guys are real nice.

Thanks for the suggestion - I left them a message yesterday, but figured the information may already be "common knowledge" and of interest to a lot of folks, so I figured I'd post the question as well. When I find out, I'll reply and let everyone know.

Lou
JrCoach_Lou
hunter

Postby Gopack » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:23 pm

I was there today scouting and there was a note on the office door that they wouldn't be back till Friday. Also the flooding is determined by water levels(mainly Flat River)in feeder creeks arounfd impoundments. I know last year even thoug it was pretty dry they didn't start putting the boards in till week before season opener.Today there wa some water in some ditches but nothing close to hunt. Usually Flat River and parts of Butner Depot impdmt tend to fill quicker than others. Today Flat rive rlooked to have plenty of water. I'll be in touch with those guys too and any info I have I'll be sure to pass it along.
Gopack
hunter

Postby JrCoach_Lou » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:03 am

Gopack, thanks for the update. If you speak to the depot folks, could you please ask whether they intend to leave any Jordan or Falls impoundments totally dry this year. I believe there are several impoundments at both areas that are left dry for a season on a rotating basis. For example, if memory serves me, I think hwy 98 was not flooded at all last year. I'd like to focus my scouting on the areas that I know will have water this year.
Thanks,
Lou
JrCoach_Lou
hunter

Postby lvduckhunter » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:45 pm

I was at the 98 impoundment this week, assuming I knew what I was looking at, it was pretty dry. There was a little water next to the highway but not very much further down stream.
It is nice to be important, but more important to be nice.
lvduckhunter
hunter

Postby JrCoach_Lou » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:08 pm

I received a return call from the Butner Depot folks today.

Jordan impoundments 2, 3, 5, and 7 will be flooded this year.

Butner-Falls Patterson Road impoundment will NOT be flooded this year, also "lower" Brickhouse Road will be flooded, "upper" will NOT be flooded.

Lou
JrCoach_Lou
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting