Yadkin River System

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Yadkin River System

Postby Thom-ass » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:20 pm

Hey I'm from salisbury, nc and i go to NC State too. Seems to be a trend around here. Anyway I've been a shotgunner (skeet, etc) for about 10 years. I've done some small game hunting like squirrel and rabbit, but i've never been duck hunting. I'm lookin at some gamelands down on Tuckertown. I got some waders and a duck jacket and a reliable pump shotgun. Heck i even built a little 12 foot boat, but that was more out of just wanting to build something and not just for duck season. It's not close to NCSUducker's caliber though. Good job on that man. So i'm pretty much set, but i was wondering about what kind of birds are around there other than wood ducks. I just got a dozen mallard decoys by Flambeau. Should i return them? Any advice for the rookie would be great.
Thom-ass
hunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:34 pm

Mallard dekes are great. There are a few spots around TT that are accessible by land but don't always produce...of course what always produces on the yadkin :laughing:

Couple of suggestions for just starting out. Get to the spot you want to be early, especially if you're walking in. Early being 3 or 4 at least. If you crossing gamelands I suggest you take an orange hat in your bag for your trek out. Don't set up close to other hunters, its not a dove shoot so a minimum of 150 yards is pretty good. Don't sky bust...i,e. know your limit. If you're not that good on a call don't use it that much...rig yourself up a jerkstring and stay well hidden. Let the movement do the talking for you. If you're at State there are some areas around Jordan that are easy walkin spots but be prepared for crowds and yahoos. On the yakin we commonly get mallards, teal, woodies, mergansers, ringers with the occasional other species tossed in. Since you're a state man give me a shout and I can possibly get you in on a hunt at sometime...at the very least I'll pass along a few spots... (not my honey holes :cool: )

Ducker
A good friend will bail you out of jail...A TRUE friend will say, "Damn that was fun!"
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Thom-ass » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:40 pm

Appreciate the tips. Don't worry I'm not looking to limit out on somebody's honey hole. I just like being out there whether it's hunting or fishing. One duck would be enough to justify all my money spent. But........a full bag would be nice
Thom-ass
hunter

Postby THIN MAN » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:34 pm

Ditto on the mallards, there your bread and butter decoy. As far as Tuckertown goes it's more of a wood duck hole than anything. Yes there is a few spots to walk in but you'll need that boat to access the better places. Also if you don't have much exp with being on the water at T-Town navigate carefully from bald mt. to the dam. That lake is very dangerous!! It doesn't get the massive rafts of crap floating down the lake like High Rock but it's what lies beneath the water that will get ya. I don't have the exp as DUCKER but next time your in town give me a holler and I too will try and help you out. :thumbsup:

THIN MAN
For we were born yesterday,and know nothing,
because our days on earth are only a shadow.

JOB 8:9
THIN MAN
hunter

Postby greenheadhunter7 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:55 pm

Send me a PM. I live in the Salisbury area right by the river. Might be able let you tag along on a few trips with our crew. :thumbsup:
greenheadhunter7
Banned

Postby Thom-ass » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:40 am

appreciate the invite. I'll let yall know when i'll be back from raleigh during the season
Thom-ass
hunter

Postby NCSUGolfer » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:35 pm

Thom-ass

I live in Lexington and just graduated from NC State this past spring. Drop me a PM and I can tell you of several spots on Jordan Game lands you can walk to, short walks of course and some long but you can hunt these spots and get back before a 9 oclock class on Mon and Wed.. These places are great for a wood duck limit in the morning and maybe the occasional goose or mallard. Did well last there after four years of doing it. There like a 20 25 min drive from Tryon street where I lived.
Good luck to ya and I'll get back to ya shortly

Rodney Thomas
NCSUGolfer
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting