My boat project

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

My boat project

Postby Thom-ass » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:32 pm

So i got some plans from Gatorboats.com out of SC. I worked on this thing for a few hours 4-5 days a week all summer weather permitting. It's nothing special and it probably looks horrible compared to NCSUducker's. But hey i built it with my own hands and i'm proud. I started with the plans from gatorboats but then did my own custom thing. It's not done. Planking, a front deck/cabinet, bench seats, and gunwales are still to come. Don't forget a nice camo paint job. I got it in the water as you'll see. Scoot along the water real nice even just paddling. Don't know if a motor is in the future. OK here goes

http://ncst.facebook.com/album.php?aid= ... d=11816372

Lemme know what ya think
Thom-ass
hunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:36 pm

Looks great! I'd be dang proud for a first boat as a young man. :thumbsup:

Ducker
A good friend will bail you out of jail...A TRUE friend will say, "Damn that was fun!"
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

nice

Postby lvduckhunter » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:12 pm

always wanted to build my own, but don't have a ton of time. Nice boat, good luck
It is nice to be important, but more important to be nice.
lvduckhunter
hunter

Postby Thom-ass » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:18 pm

i did that boat maybe 2 hrs a day. and not everday because it was so hot outside when i was epoxying that the pot would set in literally 2 minutes. I worked at my job 10 hours a day so it was too early in the morning to be running saws and too late at night for the same thing when i was home. no garage. if you really wanna do it, give it an hour a day. gatorboats has some really easy plans. mine was a pirogue which was like a cajun canoe but i modified it to a square transom.

I didn't think i could pull it off either. cost me 72 bucks for building supplies like wood and screws. epoxy is expensive though
Thom-ass
hunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:24 pm

Thom-ass wrote:epoxy is expensive though

Where were you getting your epoxy? I'm guessing it wasn't US Composites since you said it was kicking in "2 minutes". I use soley US Composites and love it. A heck of a lot cheaper than West, Raka, System 3, MAS, etc... Haven't had any problems out of it either. I even used some fast hardener on the hottest days we had this summer.

Ducker
A good friend will bail you out of jail...A TRUE friend will say, "Damn that was fun!"
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting