Jordan Lake.

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Jordan Lake.

Postby Treydu22 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:17 pm

I noticed Jordan is really low haven't been out on it in about 3 weeks. not sure if there is any water in the swamps. Anyone hunted Jordan yet?
Treydu22
hunter

Re: Jordan Lake.

Postby damarshall7 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:12 am

Don't bother hunting or scouting it.
damarshall7
hunter

Postby WBH » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:04 pm

I generally hunt it Every Wednesday and Saturday of season and I have not been on the lake in over a month ;-(
WBH
hunter

Postby hercdrvrwo » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:06 pm

I have gone several times--here are my thoughts:

1. If you don't mind hoping out of the boat and floating it for ~400yds, its cool! I like it actually, no one is around. If you hunt where I do, you can always hop out and do a little jump shooting near some beaver dams.

2. There are still a ton of spots to hunt, just treat it like the big open water it is and use about 5 dozen or more decoys and make sure your boat is brushed up real damn good!

3. Bring your 30.06 -- You'll bag a big ol buck even if you don't see a single duck all day--TRUST ME!!

4. If you skunk out ~70% chance you will, just pop out the ol fish'n rod and do a little catfish'n!!

These pics...where we are standing--yeah that should be like 3-4' of water...

well, if the pics will load...
Attachments
Take 3.jpg
Take 2.jpg
"Fly it like you stole it!"
hercdrvrwo
hunter

Postby sneak boat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:13 pm

If you are duck hunting and take a 30.06 you might be spending a few nights in jail. No lead Jed.
sneak boat
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:27 pm

Friends have been hunting and shooting way over their limits...no thank you :lol3:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby hercdrvrwo » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:37 pm

sneak boat wrote:If you are duck hunting and take a 30.06 you might be spending a few nights in jail. No lead Jed.

I don't think if you carry a deer gun with you while you are in the blind--that it is illegal. I can't imagine a wildlife agent would think for one second that you are hunting duck with a gun like that. Am I way off base here, someone please help me if I am, I just spent 30 min searching the regs. The reg says, "lead shot" I don't catagorize 30.06 as shot.
hercdrvrwo
hunter

Postby Gunpowder » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:49 pm

You are way off base here.

He can ticket you for having an empty 30-06 shell in your boat, 50' feet from your blind. You can not have any lead while hunting waterfowl.
Gunpowder
hunter

Postby hercdrvrwo » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:00 am

Gunpowder wrote:You are way off base here.

He can ticket you for having an empty 30-06 shell in your boat, 50' feet from your blind. You can not have any lead while hunting waterfowl.

Gunpowder, Thanks for the help, and I appreciate everyone looking out, I found on page 42 under "Rifles" it says "Rifles are prohibited by federal law in hunting migratory game birds." I am not using it to hunt migratory game birds, when my duck hunt is done, I switch to hunting deer. Do I need to stow the gun in the truck and do a 1 for 1 swap then? <--seems a little excessive.

Page 60 "Non-toxic Shot No person may take ducks, geese (including brant), swans or coots while possessing shot (either in shot shells or as loose shot for muzzleloading) other than approved nontoxic shot. For a list of approved non-toxic shot, see (http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/issue ... ntoxic.htm)" -- I am doing neither of these things.

I wouldn't exactly say you can not have any lead while hunting waterfowl, this year they changed the law to say, "On State-owned game lands, and all other lands unless prohibited by the landowner, persons may lawfully carry any firearm openly that they are otherwise lawfully entitled to possess, and may also carry a concealed handgun if they possess a current and valid concealed handgun permit issued to them." ----I know I know, technicality, I am not hunting with the handgun, but I am allowed to have one on me, and it may have lead in it.

I NEVER NEVER want to break the rules, I have hunted in 6 different states in the last 10 years of service and every state is always a little different. I ALWAYS take the state's hunter safety course just so I can get in touch with a teacher and know the rules before I go. I honestly did not mean to break the rules here. However, as one last follow up, I will give one of the agents a call and ask, then post back up on here with their name and answer.

SO with all that said, TREYDU22, I am sorry if I lead ya astray, don't follow advise #3 below--me thinks ya might break the law!

Thanks again!
Dan
hercdrvrwo
hunter

Postby TooTall » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:27 am

You may not be breaking the law directly, but you can expect to get a ticket if you get caught with a rifle while duck hunting. In my experience, game wardens don't play in grey areas. They simply write the ticket and let the judge decide.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:25 pm

NC GW's are complete morons and the laws for waterfowling in NC are even dumber. I know it's illegal, but Why in the world would it be against the law to carry a high powered deer rifle to the blind with just in case $400 worth of meat walks out in front of you? It's not like this in every state. Even if a deer walks out in front of you and you shoot it with duck loads it's considered illegal. You don't have blaze orange on and your shot isn't considered within the legal limit of being heavy enough. Just plain retarded. You let a deer walk in next to my blind and see what happens!
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby Treydu22 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:31 am

Went out and scouted yesturday. Water was so low basically only navagiable water was the middle of th lake. Most swamps and pot hole were dry. Most coves off the lake are about a foot of water. So it would invoke a lot of walking. I can get my boat into about 4 inches and I was still very far from in the past years great hunting spots. There were lots of 4wgeelers out riding the lake best way to get around honestly haha
Treydu22
hunter

Postby hercdrvrwo » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:56 pm

You know I have been thinking about trying a diver spread on Jordan, I usually hunt near swamp/coves...I don't have one of those huge pontoon rigs like I have seen out there (My wife would kill me if I broke down the family pontoon) Maybe 12 Mallards and 5 dozen Cans on a string like out on the coast.
hercdrvrwo
hunter

Postby hercdrvrwo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:37 pm

Bump!!

Hunted this AM...SHEEEIIITT!! Maybe 3 ducks and 10 geese. BUT.....Water is up again! Not at normal, but got my boat back where I like it--Still a ton of seaguls, saw my same two deer again! I am gonna go out next season and take my deer on the lake!

-Cheers
Herc
hercdrvrwo
hunter

Postby MichaelT » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:51 pm

Sounds about like my morning, very few ducks out of range and wanting nothing to do with me, 2 flocks of geese, and 2 deer in the woods blowing at me.
MichaelT
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting