Navigable Water

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Navigable Water

Postby Ncgoosekilla » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Can anyone quote the law word for word concerning navigable water in nc? Or does anyone know the specific General statute number?
"Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions"
"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep taking a vote on what's for lunch. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote."
Ncgoosekilla
hunter

Re: Navigable Water

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Navigable water is what the judge thinks it is, and there are lots of judges. :hammer:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby Ncgoosekilla » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:42 pm

Dingbatter 2 wrote:Navigable water is what the judge thinks it is, and there are lots of judges. :hammer:

Yes, from what I have heard in previous conversations is that the law is widely open to interpretation. Which is why I asked if someone would be kind enough to quote the law word for word or point me in the right direction with the specific Nc G.S. number. So I can read it and form an opinion for myself.
"Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions"
"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep taking a vote on what's for lunch. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote."
Ncgoosekilla
hunter

Postby Tango2Echo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:25 pm

You can do a serch on the NCGAGS, but here is the long and short of it;

In NC, Navigable Waters are defined as bodies of water suitable for navigation of a "vessel". Vessel is defined as a boat or ship capable of being propelled by a motor or sail and licensed as a vessel within the State. Bodies of Water are defined as Swamp Lands that are contiguous and over 2000 acres, canals, creeks, lakes over 2000 acres, and rivers, not associated with drainage, cooling, or run-off.

I will give an example from personal experience:
If you put a boat in on a creek from the roadside, paddle into a swamp under 2000 acres, step out and hunt OR stay in the boat, you just broke the law. There is no "public-right-of-way" to waterways in NC, which means you crossed private land to get to the creek that someone pays taxes on, the swamp is under 2000acres, so it is not "reasonably associated with navigation", the boat is not "propelled", and you stepped out of the boat onto flooded land or floated a boat on someones floded land. Either way, you can and will eventually be charged with tresspassing.

Yes, it is stupid, but the laws are geared toward protecting the landowner.

t2e
Tango2Echo
hunter

Postby Metalman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:32 am

North Carolina General Assembly
1981 Session
Chapter 581
Senate Bill 616
Put that duck call in your pocket, you're not that good, and you're flaring birds
http://www.CaptGarysDowneast.com
I support "Safe Hunter Law"
Tip your guide! He can't control the ducks or how poorly you shoot!
Metalman
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:45 pm

Metalman wrote:North Carolina General Assembly
1981 Session
Chapter 581
Senate Bill 616

W.T.F. :huh:
absolutely has nothing to do with navigable waters or in no ways answers the man's question
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:24 pm

It is a bunch of bull.A running swamp should be fair game .
wood duck commander
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting