Not much going on in Bladen CO

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Not much going on in Bladen CO

Postby Ianmalson1 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:29 pm

Has anybody been hunting near White Lake or around their? Haven't seen
anything but alot of Honkers. Have been blowing a mallard call for the last 2 weekends and have only seen 2 woodies. I'm half a mile into the woods from the white lake with 2, 1.75 acre ponds.
Ianmalson1
hunter
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:55 pm


Re: Not much going on in Bladen CO

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:45 am

A few woodies. Not many big ducks around. Have you checked out the park lake south of WL from the road? If there are a ducks there, then you have a chance of some birds being around.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter
 
Posts: 1189
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Not much going on in Bladen CO

Postby Ianmalson1 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:47 am

Dingbatter 2 wrote:A few woodies. Not many big ducks around. Have you checked out the park lake south of WL from the road? If there are a ducks there, then you have a chance of some birds being around.


Not necessarily sure where your talking about when you say park lake. Where's that at?
Ianmalson1
hunter
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Not much going on in Bladen CO

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:05 am

Singletary Lake State Park, Hwy 53. There is a small access point and you will need a decent pair of binoculars or a spotting scope. Amazing what you may see at certain times :thumbsup:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter
 
Posts: 1189
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Not much going on in Bladen CO

Postby Ianmalson1 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:01 pm

Thanks man. I will be sure to look. A couple moths a go there were alot of mallards. I dot know what has happened!
Ianmalson1
hunter
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:55 pm

Not much going on in Bladen CO

Postby m.teeter » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:18 pm

Ianmalson1 wrote:Thanks man. I will be sure to look. A couple moths a go there were alot of mallards. I dot know what has happened!


Exactly. A couple months ago. These are migratory birds and although the weather hasn't changed significantly in the last couple months. It has, however, changed somewhat. At least you got this out of the honey hole and brought it here. NC doesn't get ridiculed quite as bad here.
m.teeter
hunter
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:49 am
Location: Salisbury, NC

Re: Not much going on in Bladen CO

Postby Ianmalson1 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:32 pm

m.teeter wrote:
Ianmalson1 wrote:Thanks man. I will be sure to look. A couple moths a go there were alot of mallards. I dot know what has happened!


Exactly. A couple months ago. These are migratory birds and although the weather hasn't changed significantly in the last couple months. It has, however, changed somewhat. At least you got this out of the honey hole and brought it here. NC doesn't get ridiculed quite as bad here.


A couple of months ago yes. What was the strange part. In the summer? No ducks migrate here in the summer I believe. It seemed to me that the only reason the were coming was because of all the activity like boats and jet skis at the lake so they will come somewhere safe. I think that in the winter now, the lake is safe becuase no one goes out on the lake the ducks feel safe. I hope to get something planted so that they will come feed all year around. Kinda just have to find a way or them to stay or come at the least.
Ianmalson1
hunter
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:55 pm

Not much going on in Bladen CO

Postby m.teeter » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:09 pm

IMO the mallards around here are getting like the geese. They keep coming and never leave. The only problem is they stay on people's docks and at the local marinas and eat all sorts of crap until they don't really fly anymore. Only thing I can tell you to do is scout. I scout more than I hunt. And if there's no birds in a particular area I go somewhere else and look.
m.teeter
hunter
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:49 am
Location: Salisbury, NC

Re: Not much going on in Bladen CO

Postby Dingbatter » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:09 pm

So you're the one to blame for running all the birds out of Bladen Co with that mallard call! :yes: Nothing gets on my nerves more than the constant sound of a mallard call, espcially when there are no birds in the area. Put that thing in your pocket and only blow it lightly when the birds are flying away from you.
Dingbatter
hunter
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:48 pm

Not much going on in Bladen CO

Postby m.teeter » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:32 pm

Dingbatter wrote:So you're the one to blame for running all the birds out of Bladen Co with that mallard call! :yes: Nothing gets on my nerves more than the constant sound of a mallard call, espcially when there are no birds in the area. Put that thing in your pocket and only blow it lightly when the birds are flying away from you.


You should see this same thread he started on the honey hole. I welcome new guys to the sport I think it's great. But they seriously need to learn the right way. Hopping on the HH with that crap he posted on there will surely not get him any help here. Seriously, find a mentor read some books and get out there in the field and watch and learn. Even if season is not in and you can't shoot anything you can still learn from the birds that are here.
m.teeter
hunter
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:49 am
Location: Salisbury, NC

Re: Not much going on in Bladen CO

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:16 pm

Ianmalson1 wrote:Has anybody been hunting near White Lake or around their? Haven't seen
anything but alot of Honkers. Have been blowing a mallard call for the last 2 weekends and have only seen 2 woodies. I'm half a mile into the woods from the white lake with 2, 1.75 acre ponds.


Scout...don't just blow a call. Blowing a call probably won't do much right now with all the pressure.
mayhem96
hunter
 
Posts: 1867
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Burlington, NC

Re: Not much going on in Bladen CO

Postby wood duck commander » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:56 pm

I live on the brunswick county/columbus county line i hunt the waccamaw wetlands and i have seen plenty of woodies but no mallards.
wood duck commander
hunter
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:14 pm


Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests