I have an idea...

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

I have an idea...

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:21 pm

Been hunting the past week and have really only shot Mergansers and crows. Have seen some Teal and Wood Ducks but not many. I have had several flocks of Gadwalls and Black Ducks work my spread for a good bit now, and it seems they are used to the Mojo's now. Hopefully going to go back out soon and not put them out. Seems like they are really pressured. I normally don't call much at all, but I do know how to work birds...so it seems like it is the Mojo's. What do you'll think :huh:

Do you guys usually run Mojo's this late in the season?
mayhem96
hunter

Re: I have an idea...

Postby Dingbatter » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:42 pm

No. Mojos flare birds this late in the season, same can be said with calling. Get down, cover up and be still & quite.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby wildwing » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:56 pm

X2 and add a jerk string. 4 deaks moving on a jerk string is better than 4 dozen sitting still.
wildwing
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:50 pm

IMHO mojos and everything motorized are all overrated regardless of what time of the season is. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but it doesn't take 5 mojos and 200 blue bill decoys to kill ducks consistently. The jerk string(good old piece of rope, bungee chord and an anchor) is the best thing in the world for pudlers as well as divers. For divers I take a single decoy and rig it so it will go completely under water and I let it pop up right as a flock of divers is buzzing the spread. It's like poison sometimes and other times it doesn't work as well. It seems to work best when it's calmer. Get in the spot the birds wanna be in, use less decoys, call at effective times based on the flight of the birds and don't sky bust!
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby Bloke » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:29 am

The only mojo I use any more is in the dove field and I even think those aren't as effective as they used to be. Birds definitely get conditioned to seeing them. Pull it, be quiet, and do what you can to make your deeks look like more than bobbers. Late season ducks can be frustrating.
Make sure their toe nails are wet
Bloke
hunter

Postby Metalman » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:58 am

Leave MOJO at home. Leave your calls in the bag. Use a jerk string set-up, or even a swimmer. Keep everything/everybody concealed, covered and still. Check your dog, if it's sitting in front of the blind, or on the deck of the boat with it's tail wagging, pull him/her in the blind with you. Let the birds work, give them a clear landing zone (hole).
Pull jerk string as birds are going away, behind, or passing out front, not while they're on approach....
Good luck and shoot 'em in the face.
Put that duck call in your pocket, you're not that good, and you're flaring birds
http://www.CaptGarysDowneast.com
I support "Safe Hunter Law"
Tip your guide! He can't control the ducks or how poorly you shoot!
Metalman
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:02 am

Thanks guys...I'm going to get a jerk string soon. The birds around here can be called at and it seems like they are eating up some soft clucks and hens...just what I have observed.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:49 am

Jerk string is good idea, but you can also rig mojo with remote to turn on and off, that makes a real difference, flashes enough to draw long distance flocks, but can shut down when anything comes close.

Might take a time or two to get wing "brown side up".

Also remember that moving shadows are your enemy on these bright sunny days, if you can see your shadow on back of blind/water/boat, they can see it much better from the air.

Good hunting
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting