Guilford Country Question

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Guilford Country Question

Postby dale.m » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:25 am

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and I have a few questions. I am pretty new to duck hunting. I have gone three times to Lake Mattamuskeet with my grandpa and uncles on guided trips and have learned some, but I would like to make it something I can do at home in Guilford County and surrounding areas while its too cold to bass fish. I live right next to Lake Townsend, Brandt, and Higgens which used to have duck blinds when I was younger, but the blinds are no longer there. Being a avid bass fisherman in the spring and summer, I have found lots of places on these lakes that look like incredible places to duck hunt in the winter, but I don't know if they are legal. Is it worth duck hunting in Guilford Country or should I search other places. I'm not asking for spots, just general guidance to where I can find some legal areas to hunt. Thank you guys.
ERAU Alumni
dale.m
hunter

Re: Guilford Country Question

Postby DuckMauler » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:20 am

They are incredible places to hunt, or at least they would be if it were legal. Years ago you could hunt all 3. But thanks to the wonderful city of greensboro and the state of nc that ended a long time ago. Those 3 lakes as well as the new randlmen lake destroyed the goose hunting in that area. We used to have some really good places in guilford county. There are still good ponds to hunt in the area but all are private and you have to know someone. You might could try lake reidsville. I know it allows duck hunting in some form of a permit scale every week. Not sure how it works but you could look into it. Just to your east is Jordan lake if you wanna fight over a spot at 1230am in the morning. Hunting in piedmont nc is pretty pitiful any more. Unless you know people that have private land and will let you hunt, you're really just going to be wasting your time and money! Good luck!
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby dale.m » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:16 am

DuckMauler wrote:They are incredible places to hunt, or at least they would be if it were legal. Years ago you could hunt all 3. But thanks to the wonderful city of greensboro and the state of nc that ended a long time ago. Those 3 lakes as well as the new randlmen lake destroyed the goose hunting in that area. We used to have some really good places in guilford county. There are still good ponds to hunt in the area but all are private and you have to know someone. You might could try lake reidsville. I know it allows duck hunting in some form of a permit scale every week. Not sure how it works but you could look into it. Just to your east is Jordan lake if you wanna fight over a spot at 1230am in the morning. Hunting in piedmont nc is pretty pitiful any more. Unless you know people that have private land and will let you hunt, you're really just going to be wasting your time and money! Good luck!

Ah ok yea that's what I figured about the Greensboro lakes. I guess I will have to contact some private land owners to get some local hunting in or find out whats going on at Reidsville. One place in particular that I was looking at is Hardy's Mill Pond beyond the dam at Lake Townsend. It looks like an amazing place and the google property lines show that it may be privately owned. Thanks for the help.
ERAU Alumni
dale.m
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:06 am

Yep, no hunting on those three lakes. Great bass fishing on Townsend though. The bad thing is, there are tons of Buffleheads on that lake. My guess is find some ponds, swamps, and fields and try to get permission :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby dale.m » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:19 am

mayhem96 wrote:Yep, no hunting on those three lakes. Great bass fishing on Townsend though. The bad thing is, there are tons of Buffleheads on that lake. My guess is find some ponds, swamps, and fields and try to get permission :thumbsup:

Haha yes the bass fishing on Townsend is excellent. I had a great season this past year. I live right off Doggett road and pass over the lake every morning. There are always lots of buffle head around the points but I always see groups of woodies heading down into the swampy coves on the north western side. Man I wish they would open up the hunting on Townsend again. I've always questioned how much of the swampy areas Greensboro owns. You'd think that there would be a point where their land would end and private land would begin. I guess I'll have to do some property line research. Thank you for the help guys. Happy hunting.
ERAU Alumni
dale.m
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:36 pm

dale.m wrote:
mayhem96 wrote:Yep, no hunting on those three lakes. Great bass fishing on Townsend though. The bad thing is, there are tons of Buffleheads on that lake. My guess is find some ponds, swamps, and fields and try to get permission :thumbsup:

Haha yes the bass fishing on Townsend is excellent. I had a great season this past year. I live right off Doggett road and pass over the lake every morning. There are always lots of buffle head around the points but I always see groups of woodies heading down into the swampy coves on the north western side. Man I wish they would open up the hunting on Townsend again. I've always questioned how much of the swampy areas Greensboro owns. You'd think that there would be a point where their land would end and private land would begin. I guess I'll have to do some property line research. Thank you for the help guys. Happy hunting.

Agreed...don't know about you but I'm ready for the spawn :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby The Mad Duck » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:02 pm

I hunted all the city lakes back in the day. We used to kill a crap ton of ducks there. I have a Canvasback on the wall that I killed on Lake Brandt. It flew in with a flock of Mallards.
BUCK OFAMA IN 2012
The Mad Duck
hunter

Postby dale.m » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:26 pm

mayhem96 wrote:
Agreed...don't know about you but I'm ready for the spawn :thumbsup:

Same here man. My 21st birthday is on March 24th and I plan on fishing all day and then relaxing with some ice cold beers :beer:

I've heard amazing stories from an old warden that's a good friend of mine about the island blind at Lake Brandt. Apparently back in the day, that was the place to be.
ERAU Alumni
dale.m
hunter

Postby drakemed323 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:42 pm

I have hunted lake Reidsville. It's like any other place in piedmont to hunt not great. They have a duck club there. Lake is open Monday Wednesday and Saturday. The club builds and maintains the blinds. The club member get first dibs on the blinds. Lets say you want to hunt on Wednesday. The club members can call Tuesday morning at 7 to reserve a blind then at 8 anybody else can call. It cost $24 a day to hunt unless you are in the club then it's $12. The good part is that you don't have to get there at 1 in the morning. You have a set blind and no one else can get in there so you can get there 30 before lst. The blinds are nice and the plant millet in front of the blinds. We have killed a few ducks there in the past but nothing to write home about.
drakemed323
hunter

Postby dale.m » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:32 pm

drakemed323 wrote:I have hunted lake Reidsville. It's like any other place in piedmont to hunt not great. They have a duck club there. Lake is open Monday Wednesday and Saturday. The club builds and maintains the blinds. The club member get first dibs on the blinds. Lets say you want to hunt on Wednesday. The club members can call Tuesday morning at 7 to reserve a blind then at 8 anybody else can call. It cost $24 a day to hunt unless you are in the club then it's $12. The good part is that you don't have to get there at 1 in the morning. You have a set blind and no one else can get in there so you can get there 30 before lst. The blinds are nice and the plant millet in front of the blinds. We have killed a few ducks there in the past but nothing to write home about.

Thanks for the info man. I guess I'll give Reidsville a try some time since Lake Reidsville is 10 minutes from my house. Other than that, I spotted a few ponds today on private land that look promising. I'll start asking around there as well. Thanks for the guidance guys.
ERAU Alumni
dale.m
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting