What to Do?

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

What to Do?

Postby QuackYak » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:31 pm

Hey guys I need some advice. Theres a hole in a swamp I've been scouting and I'm trying to decide the best way to hunt it. It holds alot of ducks. I went in to scout it a day or two ago at around 3:30 in the afternoon and it was absolutely slammed with mallards and woodies! They were already on the water so I stayed til dark and none out also no more came in. Do you think I should hunt it in the morning? Worried I may jump them all out on my way in. Feel certain they would return but mabey not until late in the day. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated! :beer:
QuackYak
hunter

Re: What to Do?

Postby wildbill25 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:53 pm

If you're going to hunt them in the AM, get in there EARLY. Even if you run them out in the dark they should return after their morning feed, possibly in small groups which could make for some great shooting. I'd avoid an afternoon shoot. Good luck.
wildbill25
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:40 pm

Is it a roost spot?
mayhem96
hunter

Postby QuackYak » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:08 pm

I thought so but I got in there super early this a.m. and they werent in there. Had a few groups come in just after shooting time but no real good shots so I backed out not to educate em. I'm gonna set the deeks in a better spot on a morning comming up when we have a little weather. We were supposed to have some wind today but it was dead until about noon. I'd still appreciate any advice you have to offer though. Thanks guys! :clapping:
QuackYak
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting