Can wood ducks be called ?

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Postby wood duck commander » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:09 pm

I myself have had days where I have called them in and days where they ignored me .
wood duck commander
hunter

Re: Can wood ducks be called ?

Postby wood duck commander » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:49 pm

I would like to hear your feedback.
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:52 pm

Here ducky, ducky repeated over and over works best for me. :thumbsup:

From my experience I would say maybe 1 out of 5 will respond to a call. I have seen them come to a wood duck call and even a mallard call at times, but the best bet is to be in their flight path or where they want to land. In my younger days I used to try to call at them with little results and quickly learned that calling at every thing that flew across the sky was very annoying. Now I just sit back and try to be where the ducks want to be and little to no calling is better that barking at every duck within a mile.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:53 pm

Sometimes you feel like a nut sometimes you don't. Sometimes they will respond to a call sometimes they won't. More important than calling or decoys is being on the X. If you are looking at getting a wood duck call, Muddy Paws makes the best I have found.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:04 pm

That's about the same outcome I have . Thank you for the recommendation on the call .
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:02 pm

I'd agree, being where the birds want to be is the best way to kill wood ducks. I used to hunt with a buddy that wouldn't take any decoys in the swamp in the early season. He knew where the birds liked to land and set up there. If, on a particular morning, the birds wanted to go to some other spot in the swamp, we'd simply move and didn't have to worry about picking up and re-deploying decoys to do it. With that said, I have seen them turn around to investigate a wood duck call, but most of the time they just keep going.
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:34 pm

I'd agree, being where the birds want to be is the best way to kill wood ducks. I used to hunt with a buddy that wouldn't take any decoys in the swamp in the early season. He knew where the birds liked to land and set up there. If, on a particular morning, the birds wanted to go to some other spot in the swamp, we'd simply move and didn't have to worry about picking up and re-deploying decoys to do it. With that said, I have seen them turn around to investigate a wood duck call, but most of the time they just keep going.

Wow. you guys were able to move from one spot to anther with success ?
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby FITZH2O » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:35 pm

The best wood duck call/setup I have found is 2 decoys on a jerk string.
FITZ

"COMMON SENSE IS AN UNCOMMON VIRTUE"

VEG*NHIPPIE Wrote - I'm from the UK, and it's not an issue here

UNDERRADAR REPLIED - Hey, good to know that. Coming up on July 4, we have a celebration. You know of it?
FITZH2O
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:47 pm

The best wood duck call/setup I have found is 2 decoys on a jerk string.
And by jerk string I take it that's a string to control the decoys? How well does that work in a current ?
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby FITZH2O » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:51 pm

It works in any current I have found in ENC.
FITZ

"COMMON SENSE IS AN UNCOMMON VIRTUE"

VEG*NHIPPIE Wrote - I'm from the UK, and it's not an issue here

UNDERRADAR REPLIED - Hey, good to know that. Coming up on July 4, we have a celebration. You know of it?
FITZH2O
hunter

Postby grim reaper » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:03 pm

thought you were the wood duck commander? lmao sry had to
grim reaper
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:27 pm

Just getting other people's feed back . Now that I'm back at work talking about hunting is about all I can do .
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby merg » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:29 am

When you run up a wood duck unexpectedly you hear them give the alarm call "bur-wheep, bur-wheep, bur-wheep" in rapid succession as they leave. Most people I hear tryin to call wood ducks make that same alarm call. Listen to wood ducks sittin back in a swamp undisturbed and you hear very few bur-wheeps. Instead it sounds like a herd of cats- lots of meewws,whines and such. Learn to make those sounds and you can up your odds of callin em in but by no means will you call them in on a consistent basis to a spot they don't already want to be in.
merg
hunter

Postby steelslinger » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:55 am

wood duck commander wrote:I myself have had days where I have called them in and days where they ignored me .

How do you know that on the days that you believed they are responding to the call it isn't just the fact that you are where they want to be and the call actually had nothing to do with them coming in.

There has been a lot of both sides of the fence on this issue, I believe that they will at times decoy but are not the most decoy friendly bird out there.
If you hunt WITH your children today, you won't hunt FOR them tomorrow
Put "em in the woods and keep 'em off the streets
gangrig25 wrote:SO YOU WANT A PAT ON THE BACK OR WHAT :huh:
steelslinger
Capt. Obvious

Postby apexhunter » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:35 pm

merg wrote:When you run up a wood duck unexpectedly you hear them give the alarm call "bur-wheep, bur-wheep, bur-wheep" in rapid succession as they leave. Most people I hear tryin to call wood ducks make that same alarm call. Listen to wood ducks sittin back in a swamp undisturbed and you hear very few bur-wheeps. Instead it sounds like a herd of cats- lots of meewws,whines and such. Learn to make those sounds and you can up your odds of callin em in but by no means will you call them in on a consistent basis to a spot they don't already want to be in.

Exactly!!!!!!!

On several occasions we've had huge groups of woodies land 50 yards away in a nearby hole (missed the X by just a bit) and I started emulating their purrs and whines. Less than 10 minutes later we had 15 of them swimming into our hole looking for their buddies I was sounding like. That said I've had many hunts where the hens did their flyout calls while incoming so the breaking bur-WHEET will work on occasion.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:18 pm

I have used the burr wheep on jumped ducks. When they scatter and some ducks go one way and others another way.You can use the burr weep to turn them back thinking they are reuniting with their buddies in the air.
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby skydog » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:10 am

merg wrote:When you run up a wood duck unexpectedly you hear them give the alarm call "bur-wheep, bur-wheep, bur-wheep" in rapid succession as they leave. Most people I hear tryin to call wood ducks make that same alarm call. Listen to wood ducks sittin back in a swamp undisturbed and you hear very few bur-wheeps. Instead it sounds like a herd of cats- lots of meewws,whines and such. Learn to make those sounds and you can up your odds of callin em in but by no means will you call them in on a consistent basis to a spot they don't already want to be in.

Exactly X2. Please spare me any Robertson related hate but here's a good demonstration from Jase. As has been said, it's not going to get them swooping in and folding up every time, but it will make a difference if you're actually blowing the right sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1y_U4s6jfs
skydog
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting