Don't Rally Birds!

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Don't Rally Birds!

Postby Dingbatter » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:17 pm

I was set up on a coastal river this AM, another boat was about a mile away. About 15 or 20 minutes after LST another boat comes from down river and rallys all the birds up, running them away. That boat then decided to set up in that spot.( Why I don't know as the birds were gone and never came back.) That was really stupid, rallying birds just puts more pressure on them. A buddy of mine told me this same rig did the same thing yesterday AM. This party screwed up the hunting from everyone in this area, to add insult to injury they had a sissor rig on their boat. I guess they have not had much time with it and spend at least 30 more minutes tring to get it set up. ( you need to learn how to use that thing before you go hunting) Just in case this party gets the idea of continuing to do this ( rallying birds) I called the NCWRC and told the the location and what was going on. Hopefully they will have somebody watching this area the rest of the season and put a stop to this stupid nonsense.
Dingbatter
hunter

Don't Rally Birds!

Postby trigger22 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:30 pm

That doesn't sound like rallying birds to me. I consider rallying birds as having hunters in a blind, layout boat or on the marsh and taking the boat and "rallying" them to the hunters. Sounds to me like they just jumped a group of ducks off of where they were resting/feeding and then setup there. I might be completely in the wrong here, but what you described them doing sounds perfectly legal to me. Heck, if not I am guilty as charged. I can't count the amount of times I've been traveling from a to b and jumped birds that were sitting on the water.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Re: Don't Rally Birds!

Postby hightide hunter » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:49 pm

I can see jumping birds up when it's dark, but not when the sun is up. I have witnessed it many times this year. I scout and scout hard. Get up at the wee hours of the morning driving 1-2 hours to put in early and set up before LST to be set up and ready. It irritates me when groups show up after LST run around close to other groups see a few birds and set up a few hundred yards away from all of the others who worked hard at getting there early. On slow days I've seen many groups on purpose run through the middle of large rafts that they had seen funnel in all morning and set up. The birds want be there for long with that much pressure.
hightide hunter
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:25 pm

:huh: how is that rallying birds
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:57 pm

When you have birds rafting up near you, you want someone to run them off that spot. I don't care how many decoys or mojos you have set up, every bird that comes within eye sight of the raft will flock with them. Real live birds beat decoys everytime. At best, you might get a couple pass shots. I've seen it too many times. If someone runs the birds off, when they do come back, they will come in smaller groups and you will have much better luck getting them to work your spread.
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Don't Rally Birds!

Postby Willie » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:43 pm

Against my ethical code to shoot at a bird that has been disturbed by boat.
Willie
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:53 pm

Well the birds never came back so they ended up screwing everyone who was already set up in that area for the day. They left completely so what did they accomplish and what is the difference between running them up to other blinds up river and running them off. Thats what they did and just put unnecessary pressure on the birds. Not to mention just plain rude to the other hunters who were already there. Idiots!
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby FITZH2O » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:29 pm

I would not consider the situation you describe as rallying. I don't think it bothers them just getting kicked up. It's when idiots run after them and keep them from being able to sit back down that kills me.
FITZ

"COMMON SENSE IS AN UNCOMMON VIRTUE"

VEG*NHIPPIE Wrote - I'm from the UK, and it's not an issue here

UNDERRADAR REPLIED - Hey, good to know that. Coming up on July 4, we have a celebration. You know of it?
FITZH2O
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:14 pm

Dingbatter wrote:Well the birds never came back so they ended up screwing everyone who was already set up in that area for the day. They left completely so what did they accomplish and what is the difference between running them up to other blinds up river and running them off. Thats what they did and just put unnecessary pressure on the birds. Not to mention just plain rude to the other hunters who were already there. Idiots!

if they had put some one out with decoys and then ran the birds to them, that would be rallying. being "plain rude to other hunters who were already there" is one thing, acusing them of breaking the law(and calling them in) is another
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:41 pm

Mr. Taxidermist wrote:When you have birds rafting up near you, you want someone to run them off that spot. I don't care how many decoys or mojos you have set up, every bird that comes within eye sight of the raft will flock with them. Real live birds beat decoys everytime. At best, you might get a couple pass shots. I've seen it too many times. If someone runs the birds off, when they do come back, they will come in smaller groups and you will have much better luck getting them to work your spread.

X2
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby Catchin Zs » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:26 pm

I was with a buddy hunting out of a salt marsh not too long ago. We were sitting in the boat, just after LST when a group of 5 or 6 buffles started flying towards us from a few hundred yards away. All of a sudden, I look to the mouth of the creek and a guy comes and checks his crab pots, scaring all the ducks away and screwed up our morning completely. I really wanted to use that steel shot in an unspeakable way...
Catchin Zs
hunter

Don't Rally Birds!

Postby trigger22 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:26 pm

Catchin Zs wrote:I was with a buddy hunting out of a salt marsh not too long ago. We were sitting in the boat, just after LST when a group of 5 or 6 buffles started flying towards us from a few hundred yards away. All of a sudden, I look to the mouth of the creek and a guy comes and checks his crab pots, scaring all the ducks away and screwed up our morning completely. I really wanted to use that steel shot in an unspeakable way...

Why because he was doing something perfectly legal and well within his rights? I think some of you have the wrong idea about this sport....
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:28 am

What you describe in no way meets the definition of rallying birds. How dumb and selfish (in the sense of believing one owns a resource) can someone be? How do you propose that somebody get to the area they want to hunt? Enterprise transporter? Beam me down, Scotty!

Historically, diver hunting didn't start until about 8:00 a.m. It's only since the advent of internet warriors that we have had to go out before 7:00. I never carried a spotlight for the first 20 years I hunted big water...wasn't necessary, unless you were going to be out late. Nowadays, everybody has to get out at 0 dark thirty, run like hell, disturbing, and scaring off birds they can't see...just to beat somebody else to "THEIR" spot. None of this was necessary until the advent of blind laws, concentrating widespread public water hunters into the small area of unregulated water left.

And who can legitimately complain about somebody trying to make a living while the whiner is engaged in leisure activity? Grow up and get a pair.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby Adam Gibbs » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:31 am

Before I even leave the house to hunt, I know where I'm going to set up. If I get there and there is a raft of ducks there, so be it. I'm hunting that spot. Ducks get kicked up, other hunters in the area get shots in, I set up, and the birds come back in in small groups. It's not rallying. And no, I don't go in the dark either. Usually leave the house at 9. By the time I get there, some of the morning hunters are gone, and I hunt the rest of the day.

Catchin Zs, let me get this straight. You want to shoot a crab potter who is out working to provide for himself and his family because you share the resource? Way to represent the sport. Classy.
Adam Gibbs
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:16 am

Catchin Zs wrote:I was with a buddy hunting out of a salt marsh not too long ago. We were sitting in the boat, just after LST when a group of 5 or 6 buffles started flying towards us from a few hundred yards away. All of a sudden, I look to the mouth of the creek and a guy comes and checks his crab pots, scaring all the ducks away and screwed up our morning completely. I really wanted to use that steel shot in an unspeakable way...
you're a ****ing idiot
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby 2000xl4x4 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:49 pm

I don't see how this is rallying birds. People don't always have time to scout; sometimes scouting the day before doesn't always pay off because ducks change what they do and where they want to be on a regular basis. I do get out before sunrise, but often does not pay off. I then get up, find where the birds want to be and set up for a good shoot as they make their way back. Often you can't set up properly because of wind shift, people in the spot you want to be or a number of other reasons.
Rallying birds as said before is riding around scaring ducks to try to get someone else a shot. This is a no no, but does happen often and if too much, birds will move out of an area. I think you should ask your local GW what his/her definition of rallying birds is and check to see if that is what people are doing. Good luck!
2000xl4x4
Newb

Postby wahoowilly » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:25 pm

More harm is done by running in the dark than you can imagine. Since we're forced to run in the dark, we've even had instances of ruddy ducks running into our boats and dying from the impact.

If I had my way, legal would be 1 hour AFTER sunrise, at the earliest.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby merg » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:54 pm

wahoowilly wrote:More harm is done by running in the dark than you can imagine. Since we're forced to run in the dark, we've even had instances of ruddy ducks running into our boats and dying from the impact.

If I had my way, legal would be 1 hour AFTER sunrise, at the earliest.

Personally I don't think this is as big an issue as it once was- in my area anyway- simply because 99% of them are roostin in the middle of the sound or on a refuge.
merg
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:00 pm

I don't have a problem with fishing boats that may pass by and run birds up (some did but none ran right at the birds) , sometimes birds may come right back down. My problem is the fact that these birds were run up on purpose by hunters who were what I consider disresectful to those who had already set up in the area. They saw these birds and decided that is where they wanted to be and to hell with everyone else. If you don't want to get up and out on the water early then you don't have to but you need to take into consideration to those who did. These dumb tatics ran all the birds off, and they didn't return. All they did was put more pressure on birds that are getting a lot already. I wonder how much more of this before the birds leave the area. They screwed up all the other parties who got there before them, thats BS. ( not just me, every party already in that area) If you are the only one out there and you want to do it, go ahead but don't screw it up for everyone else. Of course lack of respect to fellow hunters is the new norm today. Common sense doesn't exist either, chasing birds off, skybusting, setting up on others, violating regulations etc seems to have taken priority over tradition as well. Be that as it may I can assure you that I will not hesitate to call it in and let the enforcement officers decide what is and what is not legal. Consider yourself warned.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:23 pm

go back to your swamp
ncbufflehead
hunter

Don't Rally Birds!

Postby Willie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:47 pm

Dingbatter wrote:I don't have a problem with fishing boats that may pass by and run birds up (some did but none ran right at the birds) , sometimes birds may come right back down. My problem is the fact that these birds were run up on purpose by hunters who were what I consider disresectful to those who had already set up in the area. They saw these birds and decided that is where they wanted to be and to hell with everyone else. If you don't want to get up and out on the water early then you don't have to but you need to take into consideration to those who did. These dumb tatics ran all the birds off, and they didn't return. All they did was put more pressure on birds that are getting a lot already. I wonder how much more of this before the birds leave the area. They screwed up all the other parties who got there before them, thats BS. ( not just me, every party already in that area) If you are the only one out there and you want to do it, go ahead but don't screw it up for everyone else. Of course lack of respect to fellow hunters is the new norm today. Common sense doesn't exist either, chasing birds off, skybusting, setting up on others, violating regulations etc seems to have taken priority over tradition as well. Be that as it may I can assure you that I will not hesitate to call it in and let the enforcement officers decide what is and what is not legal. Consider yourself warned.

Put out enough corn and they always come back.
Willie
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:55 pm

:fingerhead:
If you are basing your morning hunt on 5 or 6 bufflehead, then you should just go ahead and throw the towel in and find a new hobby.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby greasegetter » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:49 pm

Catchin z's ,2 things,1 around my neck of the woods you need to shoot commercial fisherman with slugs.2 if it dosent kill him you better be fast ,cause if he gets you,hes gonna grab ya by ya arse cheeks and tear ya in half like a phone book. God speed
greasegetter
hunter

Postby ncdrumchaser » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:47 pm

wow...i cant believe i am reading all this. wanting to shoot a crabber for making a living over buffs? pathetic......rallying? i agree with mr. td they split up in smaller bunches.....relax. dont hate the scissors rig! besides if it stresses you out that much you shouldnt hunt the "Famous River" . only leaves more room for mike marsh! :lol3: :beer: :fingerhead: divers are stupid.....plain and simple.....use a large spread, a safe boat, and hunt when its windy and overcast.
becuase you leave at 2 am to hunt ducks... makes me glad we have blind laws!
ncdrumchaser
hunter

Postby Catchin Zs » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:06 pm

I wasn't serious when I said I'd rather him be dead.. Should've left that part out of it. I completely understand his needs. It was just frustrating. Since then, I've tried my luck in other areas and haven't done too well..
Catchin Zs
hunter

Next

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting