Tar River Gamelands

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Tar River Gamelands

Postby SwampRatNC » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:17 pm

Anyone ever hunt this place for ducks or geese?
SwampRatNC
SwampRatNC
hunter

Re: Tar River Gamelands

Postby grif5 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:26 pm

A few things about Tar River Gamelands...
1) It is not the pond you see from US 64 near the commercial nursery (Exit 491).
2) It is not the pond you see from US 64 east of EMC (Edgecombe Martin Coop - Exit 487).
If you travel east of Tarboro on 64 during duck season, you are definitely familiar with both of these.

3) It is not the pond you see from US 64 west of EMC that is really close to where you want to be.
4) It is the pond you can't see from US 64 that is just west of the pond above.

The NCWC interactive Gamelands map shows it well. I have hunted it a couple times with no luck. The dam / deep end is on the east, shallows the west. A locked gate limits parking to the east. Be prepared for every other sort of hunter for whatever may or may not be in season to stop by to see "...how you boys are doin".
grif5
Newb

Postby jcz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:36 pm

That is a very helpful post grif5. I have not been there eventhough I live less than 15 minutes away. I now of others that tried it out. They did not get to the right piece of land.

Scout it out in the daylight to be sure you are in the right area.
jcz
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:28 pm

I scouted it way early in the season and decided not to hunt it... you'd need a kayak or small boat almost becuase the banks are so steep. ducks and geese were loaded up in every pond in the area BUT the one you can hunt.

It's a pretty shady spot to park anyways. I ran into an old black man down there gettin' an old fashioned from one of the local street girls. they were very unhappy we were in the area. it Didn't seem like a smart place to leave a vehicle while hunting.
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting