getting back into duck hunting

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

getting back into duck hunting

Postby beanz2166 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:59 am

Hey guys, Im looking at getting back into waterfowl hunting, I havent done it in about 17 years. Im looking for areas that one could possibly start hunting? Or maybe someone who is looking for a hunting partner.. I dont have a boat or a dog (yet) but I have access to decoys/calls/etc. I live on Ft Bragg and am looking to stay within a 90min radius. Thanks in advance guys
beanz2166
hunter

Re: getting back into duck hunting

Postby Cajun1085 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:18 am

Beanz...

I was stationed at Fort Bragg for 2 years and just changed duty stations this spring. You actually have some of the "best" in a 90min radius. ALot of the wood duck hole, you do not need a boat for, but a kayak or a canoe would help with retrieve some birds, and expanding your duck hunting area on Ft. Bragg. Go check out the hunting center.

I hear duck hunting is rough in NC this year. Just let you know your about to get a lil flak on this forum...I think you are #52 this hunting season with the same situation. Just saying.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby lumpy2181 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:05 am

X2 on the hunting on base. I am former military and where I was stationed, only active, retired and dependants could hunt, and the priority was in that order. Here at Bragg, its open to the public which I do not agree with but play the hand you are dealt right? Your best bet will probably to put in the gas/time to knock on some farmer's doors and get permission to hunt the swamps/pond on their property or make the run to the coast and hunt the game lands or get a guide there. I am fairly new to the area but I am always up for going hunting if you need another gun sometime.
Bgold wrote:... I don't think we're doing it right though and my butt sure hurts...

That's what she said!!!
lumpy2181
hunter

Postby CCReed » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:09 pm

I live right next to fort bragg. me and my buddies like to go out to the rivers around here and find good spots. Theyre always flyin but along a riverbank there arent too many shooting lanes. but check out sampson county rivers and the cape fear of course.
CCReed
hunter

Postby beanz2166 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:07 pm

Thanks guys usually I would put in the leg work myself, but my current deployment has severly hindered my scouting time.
beanz2166
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting