Only in NC

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Only in NC

Postby m.teeter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:03 am

Before I tell you this I'm not going to give the specific lake. I will see if you can guess this one.

This morning at the local boat ramp around 5 AM I was approached by a hunter that I've seen around a time or two. He came up and asked how many people I thought would be hunting in a certain creek. So I asked him why. He then went on to tell me that today was a FREE day of duck hunting in NC. Where you didn't have to obtain a hunting license or a federal duck stamp to legally hunt. Just thought everyone would get a nice late season chuckle out of this.
m.teeter
hunter

Re: Only in NC

Postby steelslinger » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:57 am

Never heard of it before, I have seen the free day for fishing which I believe is the 4th of July but may be wrong.
If you hunt WITH your children today, you won't hunt FOR them tomorrow
Put "em in the woods and keep 'em off the streets
gangrig25 wrote:SO YOU WANT A PAT ON THE BACK OR WHAT :huh:
steelslinger
Capt. Obvious

Only in NC

Postby m.teeter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:56 pm

I can see fishing. But not duck hunting. This group of guys are true Jr. Commanders.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby decoycarver0205 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:47 pm

There was a news story a couple days ago about a free day to hunt without the need of a license. They had the game warden on there explaining what you can and cant hunt etc. Only problem is it was for SC not NC.
decoycarver0205
hunter

Postby quackedout » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:10 pm

You are right... only in NC. Dont know if any of you ever read the DU migration map reports but read some of the other states reports and then read NC reports. People round here will act like they're telling you some secret when really they are trying to send you on a wild goose chase. That guy probably knew there was no free hunting day and just wanted to mess with you.
Last edited by quackedout on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quackedout
hunter

Only in NC

Postby m.teeter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:31 pm

Your probably right. Good thing I've heard all kinds of BS stories at the ramp and am kind of used to it. Where we are at we get all the idiots. I've seen so many hooded mergansers called buffleheads that I don't think I can take the madness anymore.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:47 pm

m.teeter wrote:I've seen so many hooded mergansers called buffleheads that I don't think I can take the madness anymore.

Got you beat. Saw a common merganser called an oldsquaw this week.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby Quack Wacker NC » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:24 pm

EastBound&Down wrote:
m.teeter wrote:I've seen so many hooded mergansers called buffleheads that I don't think I can take the madness anymore.

Got you beat. Saw a common merganser called an oldsquaw this week.

Yep them ole buffies have gold side feathers must have been a hybrid cross with a wood duck :lol3: I had too walk away on that one :huh:
Quack Wacker NC
Forum Moderator

Postby Technician » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:46 pm

we dont really get common mergs, just red breasted mergs which are similar looking kind of
Technician
hunter

Postby unccducker89 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:39 pm

had a group of guys say the exact same thing sat morning they also told me that this lake is their home lake and they were from rock hill...asked em' why they had 150 plus decoys and they said they heard there were a ton of divers on the yadkin chain...needless to say people down this way go for the he said she said bullcrap
unccducker89
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:12 pm

Technician wrote:we dont really get common mergs, just red breasted mergs which are similar looking kind of

you are right :thumbsup:
need to tune up on my merg identification before I decide to go blast a few
alot of them around at the moment
Had a group of about 100 buzz the decoys Sat. Got real excited until they got closer and I could tell they were mergs and not divers.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby fowlhntr » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:45 pm

Technician wrote:we dont really get common mergs, just red breasted mergs which are similar looking kind of

They are around,not as many as red breasted mergs,but a few show up in our dekes most years

fowlhntr
hunter

Postby Technician » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:54 am

pretty bird in my opinion, never seen one here in the southern portion of the state. Plenty of red breast and hoodskies though
Technician
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:06 am

How does a state exempt hunters from a Federal Stamp purchase?
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting