? coots

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

? coots

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:06 pm

I know that this sounds a little stupid but, What are those black birds I always see out on the lakes. There`s alot of them on the Rock and down the center of Tuckertown. My wife asked me while we were fishing. Are they a type of duck that people hunt or just a water bird. Don`t laugh to hard. I`m ready for the ribbig on this one.

Stump
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gvegas88 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:17 pm

I don't haven't seen what your talking about being that I live in gville but I'm assuming they are either coots or cormorrants. hope you get a positive ID. TM
gvegas88
hunter

? coots

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:24 pm

Cormorrants. I think that that`s what one gentelmen called them. It`s not that I`m looking to shoot these thing, I just want to know what they are. I try to be informed. Thanks gvegas88.
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Wilsona018 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:21 pm

Last edited by Wilsona018 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilsona018
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:28 am

If you are on the rock they are cormorants <sp?>

If they sit in the water with their wings out drying then yeah. I wouldn't pull a round off at one. Not sure I have ever seen any coots on the rock, I am sure they show up from time to time but I have not seen many unless they just showed up this year.
Monroeduck
hunter

Postby fish&fowl loco » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:17 am

They are cormeys and also call them ni*er geese Tuckertown and Highrock are full of them. There's a island on Highrock where they roost and are killing the trees.
I have killed a few coots on Highrock but they usually don't show up till November.
If mergansers were pintails I would be a happy man
fish&fowl loco
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting