Duck Hunting Forum banner

Duck ID

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Duck U 2 
#1 ·
Being that we have a lot of younger and new to the sport members on here. With the question of is it a coot or a commorant (no offense stump), thought I would repost a great resource, ducks at a distance. Stump you did the right thing, you were not sure so you asked, no harm in that.

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/bird ... /index.htm

Just click on the species and you can see wing pattern and such. Also a lot of places sell a pocket size version of this. If you are new to the sport or old please do us all a favor and learn how to ID ducks. There are a lot of things that will chap my hide while in the duck blind, there are very few that will cause me to pull up, ride over and have a chat with someone. One of those is shooting birds that are not target species. Duck hunters have a bad rap as it is, all we need is some peta nutt to film some young duck hunters out on the lake busting up some grebs or something. Learn to ID ducks and other birds at that.

#2 ·
Hey Monroeduck no offense taken at all. :salude: I personaly don`t want to shoot at anything not in the target species. Unfurtunitly I am a self taught duck hunter. When I started I knew nothing at all. No one took the time to help me. I take great pride in teaching others about hunting and I don`t want to pass on any bad info. Turkey is my specialty. I hope one day to be as good at duck hunting.

The only stupid Question is the one not asked!
Stump

#3 ·
stumpjumper said:
Unfurtunitly I am a self taught duck hunter. When I started I knew nothing at all. No one took the time to help me. Turkey is my specialty. I hope one day to be as good at duck hunting.
A lot of us are self taught. I was lucky to have some very experienced hunters sort of take me under their wing and show me the ropes. I am no where close to being what I consider knowledgable. I screw up so much it isn't funny but one big thing is when I screw up now I don't mess up the guy with the next spread up. Only my own stuff.

My suggestion is to get around as many older hunters as you can, sit down, and don't say a word. That last one is very hard for me I like to flap my gums way too much. It will cause you to hump more decoys than they do but its just part of paying your dues. It will all work out in the end.

MD

#5 ·
Too many guys "ground check" their ducks.
:thumbsdown:
It's really not too hard to learn them. Get a good set of binoculars and a good reference guide. I don't use the small reference book I keep in my blind bag too much nowadays, but it's still there for the bored beginner in the blind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.