Report:Bad situation turned out Awesome

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Report:Bad situation turned out Awesome

Postby holcombford » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:41 am

First off a couple weeks ago I had a guide lined up and a deposit paid for a hunt in pamlico county. Well he disappeared with my money and I will probably never see that money again. The reason we went with a guide was because we are fairly new to this sport and wanted someone to show how to get set up properly and the ins and outs of hunting. Now onto the good part.
Capt. Gary Lepler with Capt. Gary's Downeast Guide Service sent me a message on here and said he had one day open so we agreed to go. We arrived in pamlico county on Thursday night and were set to meet with Gary first thing Friday Morning. metup with him and Gretchen (The retriever) and went over a few things and we were off. Got everything set up and it was EPIC. We had birds on us all Morning. Needless to say I am now hooked for life. He was a wealth of knowledge answering all our questions and showing us great hospitality.

A couple days before this he lined us up with Chris Davis for Saturday. Although,the birds didn't fly was good as the did Friday still had a lot of good opportunities and saw tons of birds as well. If anyone needs a reference for either one of these two guides I cannot explain how awesome of a hunt we had. I want to thank both of these guys for reaching out to my buddy and I when I thought our hunt was going to be canned for the year.

I have some pictures and ill try to get them up in a few
holcombford
hunter

Re: Report:Bad situation turned out Awesome

Postby Capt.Ray » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:31 pm

HEY HOLCOMB,GLAD IT WORKED OUT FOR YA ,I THINK YOU Called me and iwas booked,yea you hooked up with the rite crowd,like i said i never heard of the cat that stood ya up.Needless to say he wont be in buss.long pulling that kind of sheet.
Capt.Ray
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:21 pm

Capt. Gary is a good guy and great at what he does.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby holcombford » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:36 pm

Capt.Ray wrote:HEY HOLCOMB,GLAD IT WORKED OUT FOR YA ,I THINK YOU Called me and iwas booked,yea you hooked up with the rite crowd,like i said i never heard of the cat that stood ya up.Needless to say he wont be in buss.long pulling that kind of sheet.

I did give you a call but you were booked. Yeah turns out the guy we hunted with saturday was a sheriff deputy and knew the guy who stood us up. On top of that he had to run someone off his property who was "guiding" 5 guys Saturday after lunch. I bet those guys were like WTH. All I can say is be careful who you book with. The situation sucked but couldn't have turned out better for us in the end
holcombford
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:41 am

Do you mind sharing the other POS "guide's" name with any of us? Maybe by private message so we do not book with him in the future.

Glad it all turned out for the best.
BACK BAY/PUNGO LOCAL WANNABE
Back Bay Hazardous Sea Conditions Navigation Expert
Back Bay Entitlement & Anti Sunday hunting supporter
Moving to Front Royal, VA to be close to my friends
Don't Take My Blind Whiner/Complainer/Victim & Apparent Homo
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby holcombford » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:20 am

The guides name was John Purifoy. He is the one I could never get back up with. He is not the who ended up taking us.
holcombford
hunter

Postby Splashin' Divers » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:09 am

The poacher "guides" were Matt and Randy Jones.... I believe Matt also does some taxidermy work. Randy Jones was caught poaching with a party on Friday and Matt was caught poaching with the same party in the same spot Saturday afternoon. How can you call yourself a guide if you dont even have a place to hunt yourself....
Splashin' Divers
hunter

Postby saltnbattery » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:12 pm

Capt Gary Lefler and Chris Davis are both spectacular guides. It is evident that they both put in the time and effort to make sure their customers have the best possible chance to take their birds. Be careful, and ALWAYS get references before booking a "guide." Imagine getting all excited to go on a hunt and once you get setup, the actual landowner/lease holder show up and run you off. I for one would be beyond pissed to find out that I had payed someone to "guide" me and they ended up being a poacher. Maybe there should be a "sticky" at the top of this forum where people can post poacher guide names with substantiated evidence. It would certainly save some money and disappointment.
saltnbattery
hunter

Postby Bloke » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:23 am

Splashin' Divers wrote:The poacher "guides" were Matt and Randy Jones.... I believe Matt also does some taxidermy work. Randy Jones was caught poaching with a party on Friday and Matt was caught poaching with the same party in the same spot Saturday afternoon. How can you call yourself a guide if you dont even have a place to hunt yourself....

:lol3: I Know these guys and they definitely aint "guides". They are a joke and take advantage of the less informed. It's just a wonder that none of their "customers" have gotten mad enough to tear their hind part up after returning to their vehicles after being runoff.
Make sure their toe nails are wet
Bloke
hunter

Postby Capt.Ray » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:42 pm

these poacher guides probally dont have their capt.licn.or insurance either.theres more to it than just a 10.00 nc hunt fish guide licn.like splash said ya got to have somewhere to hunt too.also if you hold a mmd ''capt.licn''ya got to be enrolled in a random drug testing program.
Capt.Ray
hunter

Postby Metalman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:25 pm

Thanks Blake, for the kind words. I'm glad you guys were able to come out and hunt, and I was happy to play a small part in turning a bad situation into a good situation. Hopefully y'all can come back next year.
Thanks Capt. Ray for the kind words as well as the others. It was a very good season, hopefully a sign of thing to come.....
:beer:
Put that duck call in your pocket, you're not that good, and you're flaring birds
http://www.CaptGarysDowneast.com
I support "Safe Hunter Law"
Tip your guide! He can't control the ducks or how poorly you shoot!
Metalman
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting