Pattering your gun.

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Pattering your gun.

Postby wood duck commander » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:47 am

I would like to here the different ways y'all pattern you guns.
wood duck commander
hunter

Re: Pattering your gun.

Postby wood duck commander » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:52 am

Pattering. lol.Thats what I get for using an IPad.
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:56 pm

Old school basic "pattering" is based on a 30 inch circle at 40 yards. Percentage of pellets within the 30 inch circle. You have to know how many total pellets are in the load, which is available if you dig deep enough, or cut some open, count them, and get an average. Full 65-75%; IM 55-65, Modified (Skeet No. 2) 45-55; IC 35-45; Cylinder (Skeet No. 1) 25-35%. One important point is just because a particular choke is labeled as such, does not mean that is what it throws. The same with constriction. A Mod choke may actually throw a Full or even an IC. That is the importance of patterning your gun with a variety of loads. Anyway, that is the basic way of "pattering" :wink: a shotgun.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:56 pm

Dingbatter 2 wrote:Old school basic "pattering" is based on a 30 inch circle at 40 yards. Percentage of pellets within the 30 inch circle. You have to know how many total pellets are in the load, which is available if you dig deep enough, or cut some open, count them, and get an average. Full 65-75%; IM 55-65, Modified (Skeet No. 2) 45-55; IC 35-45; Cylinder (Skeet No. 1) 25-35%. One important point is just because a particular choke is labeled as such, does not mean that is what it throws. The same with constriction. A Mod choke may actually throw a Full or even an IC. That is the importance of patterning your gun with a variety of loads. Anyway, that is the basic way of "pattering" :wink: a shotgun.

That sounds about right to me . I always shoot my modified but want to try an improved . I guess my question is since I know the pattern how much range would I lose ?
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:15 am

Your pattern is based on your range. I always figured that once you throw less than 6 pellets into a target the size of an average duck then you are at maximum range for that particular load and choke. After that, your chance of crippling birds goes way up.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:55 am

Also it is not just the percentage of pellets within the circle but the distribution of those pellets. A "good" pattern will have the appropriate number of pellets within the circle and those pellets should be evenly distributed as to not create holes that a target or bird can escape through. It will take a few shots at virgin paper to determine the average pattern the particular load and choke combination throws.

Do note that a particular choke can and most likely will throw different patterns with different loads so once you find a good combination stick with it.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:18 am

I did a set of YouTube videos about patterning (and results) a while back. Looking back, the videos were ok, not the best, but they may help you get started and give you some options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdSjINjkE7w
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:22 am

apexhunter wrote:Also it is not just the percentage of pellets within the circle but the distribution of those pellets. A "good" pattern will have the appropriate number of pellets within the circle and those pellets should be evenly distributed as to not create holes that a target or bird can escape through. It will take a few shots at virgin paper to determine the average pattern the particular load and choke combination throws.

Do note that a particular choke can and most likely will throw different patterns with different loads so once you find a good combination stick with it.

And ApexHunter is right on. They actually have formulas you can use to calculate pattern density and you can use them to deduce or calculate what your pattern would look like at different ranges if you want to just take some shots at 40 yards and not spend the time and money to shoot at all ranges.

The percentage of pellets is a good thing to know but once you start shooting a bunch of different ammos, I found the distributions to be the deciding factor. That said, obviously you are not going to select a gun / shell / choke combination that gives you 50% pellet patterns.
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.
aclumpkin
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting