Worst Day of My Life

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Worst Day of My Life

Postby TylerAustin22 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:54 pm

Well all in a nutshell, me and two friends and my buddys lab drifted the river yesterday. We put in around 6:30 and floated until 7:30. The reason it was such a short float was because the boat flipped after being pulled by the current into a log jam. We almost drowned because of waders. I clung to a limb in the middle of the river for 5 mins until finally trying to swim to shore. Saved the dogs life as she was trapped under the boat with the blind. After we made it to the bank we walked about a mile til somebody saw us on the road (phones were wet) and gave us a ride to the truck. After warming up and treating the early stages of hypothermia (it was 16 degrees that morning) and frostbite, we headed back in a bigger boat with a gas powered motor rather than our trolling motors, in hopes of recoring the boat. It was nowhere to be found. All in all we lost: 2 shotguns, 2 trolling motors, 3 batterys, 3 boxes of black clouds, two chairs a hat and all three phones.. :sad: Needless to say, it was the scariest/worst day of my life. P.S. my dad doesnt know about the gun yet!! :fingerhead:
12ft Jon Boat
10ft Plastic Pontoon
Camo Paddle Boat
Browning
"H.U.N.T." "I hunt because of heritage and tradition"
TylerAustin22
hunter

Re: Worst Day of My Life

Postby wildwing » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:40 pm

Man that sucks. Instead of looking at what you lost be thankful your not in a body bag right now.all that stuff can be easily replaced. One thing I have learned is the more time you spend on the water the more stuff you end up losing. Still material things can be replaced people can't. Glad you guys made it out alive. It never hurts to ware pfd when on the water, you may miss a few more birds but its better than becoming a statistic. Best of luck in the future.
wildwing
hunter

Postby TylerAustin22 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:51 pm

wildwing wrote:Man that sucks. Instead of looking at what you lost be thankful your not in a body bag right now.all that stuff can be easily replaced. One thing I have learned is the more time you spend on the water the more stuff you end up losing. Still material things can be replaced people can't. Glad you guys made it out alive. It never hurts to ware pfd when on the water, you may miss a few more birds but its better than becoming a statistic. Best of luck in the future.

thats what I said, you can buy a gun, not a life
12ft Jon Boat
10ft Plastic Pontoon
Camo Paddle Boat
Browning
TylerAustin22
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:38 pm

I am relieved that you and your friends are safe.
Paul26
hunter

Postby Dtrain22 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:53 pm

glad you're safe brother! im originally from the martin county. if it was the roanoke then definitely count your blessings, that thing moves like no other. again, glad everyone is alive and well!
Dtrain22
hunter

Postby Yellowlab247 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:33 pm

So did you have 3 people and all that gear in a 12ft Jon or the 10ft Pontoon?
Yellowlab247
hunter

Postby Doubleplay » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:44 am

I'm glad you guys made it. This could have ended up a lot worst. On a side note I don't get the part why you guys were wearing waders while floating and no pfd ? Wearing waders in a boat where the water is deeper than 3-4 feet is a not safe at all :fingerpt: .
Let this be a lesson to everybody who is doing the same mistakes.
Doubleplay
hunter

Postby damarshall7 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:39 am

So in a 12ft jon boat you had:
3 People ~450 lbs
1 Lab ~60lbs
3 Large batteries ~75 lbs
2 trolling motors ~20 lbs
1 blind, 2 guns, 3 boxes of shells, 2 chairs ~30 lbs
and other gear?

total weight: 600-650 lbs

And this boat has a max capacity of what? 350ish pounds?

Wearing waders in a boat where the water is deeper than 3-4 feet is a not safe at all

Care to explain that?
damarshall7
hunter

Postby Doubleplay » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:33 pm

Wearing waders in a boat where the water is deeper than 3-4 feet is a not safe at all

Care to explain that?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I can. If you are in a boat and will stay in a boat why would you wear waders?? Obviously you won't be able to step out if the water is deeper than 4 feet (with a few exceptions) and you'll be hunting from the boat. The only time to wear waders in a boat is if you are going to a blind where you can walk out and put out and collect decoys and retrieve birds and the water is shallow enough to do that.
When you go overboard waders fill up with water quick and I don't care how good of a swimmer you are, you'll be going down.
Doubleplay
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:35 pm

Doubleplay wrote:When you go overboard waders fill up with water quick and I don't care how good of a swimmer you are, you'll be going down.

So you are saying that if your waders fill up with water it will cause you to sink because of the weight?
:huh: :huh: :huh:
interesting theory
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby va marsh rat » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:40 pm

Doubleplay wrote:Wearing waders in a boat where the water is deeper than 3-4 feet is a not safe at all

Care to explain that?

Yes, I can. If you are in a boat and will stay in a boat why would you wear waders?? Obviously you won't be able to step out if the water is deeper than 4 feet (with a few exceptions) and you'll be hunting from the boat. The only time to wear waders in a boat is if you are going to a blind where you can walk out and put out and collect decoys and retrieve birds and the water is shallow enough to do that.
When you go overboard waders fill up with water quick and I don't care how good of a swimmer you are, you'll be going down.

This is ABSOLUTELY not true!

I have done a float test in a pool with various combinations of waders, life jackets, and dry-tops. Waders have a natural buoyancy, especially in the feet, and if you go for a swim in waders, you will stay afloat, especially if you wear a life jacket. The water that enters your waders is NOT heavier than the water outside your waders, so simple physics immediately rejects your statement. Having waders on may make it more difficult to swim than not wearing waders. However, I think the floatation and the warmth that waders provide is more advantageous in a survival situation than having better swimming ability.
va marsh rat
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:06 pm

Glad it turned out ok. Lesson learned. Be afraid, be very afraid. Water is not your friend. It is patiently and quietly waiting to kill you, more so in winter. I'm surprised we don't have more fatalities during the season. If something doesn't feel right, stay on the hill. We have all done stupid things while duck hunting and most of the time nothing happens...most of the time. :no:

Hope you are now an old maid that is called a sissy for not going out when you have too small of a boat, fast current, or something just doesn't feel right. They call them old maids for a reason. They are old and still here. Again, glad you are still with us and on the right side of the water. :thumbsup:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:50 pm

Doubleplay wrote:When you go overboard waders fill up with water quick and I don't care how good of a swimmer you are, you'll be going down.
:no:
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Doubleplay » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:50 pm

va marsh rat wrote:
Doubleplay wrote:Wearing waders in a boat where the water is deeper than 3-4 feet is a not safe at all

Care to explain that?

This is ABSOLUTELY not true!

I have done a float test in a pool with various combinations of waders, life jackets, and dry-tops. Waders have a natural buoyancy, especially in the feet, and if you go for a swim in waders, you will stay afloat, especially if you wear a life jacket. The water that enters your waders is NOT heavier than the water outside your waders, so simple physics immediately rejects your statement. Having waders on may make it more difficult to swim than not wearing waders. However, I think the floatation and the warmth that waders provide is more advantageous in a survival situation than having better swimming ability.

I never did a test and probably never will. But I read a lot of articles pro and con about waders filling with water and personally I would never want to go overboard wearing waders. There have been a lot of cases people drowning in waist deep water with current wearing waders.
Doubleplay
hunter

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:55 pm

Ive flipped a small jon boat while wearing waders. I had head they float, but did not want to find out firsthand. They do float, very well actually, although maneuvering or trying to climb into another boat with full waders aint easy.
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:30 pm

You're dad is going to get his belt and wear your butt out! :mad: As for the black cloud shells dumping them to the bottom of the river is the best thing that could happen to them.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:51 am

The Three of you are lucky. This could have turned out to be a three way funeral. Count your blessings, wear your life jackets and TELL YOUR FATHER. Also, did you report this boating accident to law enforcement? I believe it is a requirement in NC. I got my butt handed to me for the boating accident where I broke my neck and did not report it.
BACK BAY/PUNGO LOCAL WANNABE
Back Bay Hazardous Sea Conditions Navigation Expert
Back Bay Entitlement & Anti Sunday hunting supporter
Moving to Front Royal, VA to be close to my friends
Don't Take My Blind Whiner/Complainer/Victim & Apparent Homo
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby TylerAustin22 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:29 am

it wasnt my boat (thank goodness) and it was 16 ft 48in wide so its not like we were in a bathtub. But in all seriousness it wasnt the brightest idea and as for wearing waders, we were going to get out on sand bar about a curve lower :sad: . All in all I have learned to a.) not wear waders in a boat PERIOD. b.) if it doesnt look or feel right, dont do it. and c.) always and i mean always wear your pfd while in a boat 16ft or smaller
12ft Jon Boat
10ft Plastic Pontoon
Camo Paddle Boat
Browning
TylerAustin22
hunter

Postby TylerAustin22 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:30 am

Along with the waders, they saved my life, they retained a vast amount of heat which ultimately kept me from getting hypothermia :biggrin:
12ft Jon Boat
10ft Plastic Pontoon
Camo Paddle Boat
Browning
TylerAustin22
hunter

Postby Mallard Cutter » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:55 pm

Glad ya"ll are ok and everybody is alive. !!!
Mallard Cutter
hunter

Postby Let'em set » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:24 pm

I personally will not connect my shoulder straps of my waders while I am in a boat.(No matter what size vessel I'm in) But if you happen to go overboard with wadders on you can pull your knees to your chest and that will keep you afloat. It traps the air in the bottom of your wadders. Just understand that this lasts long enough for you to surface and get your wits about you. Once you catch your breath you should immediately get out of your wadders. I know this to be true because after someone told me this trick I tried it in the pool out back. The only down side is you end up wrapping your arms around your knees to keep you legs from going straight and you have no way of keeping your balance/head up. I wish we had video'd me and my two buddies doing this because it was hysterical. I hope to never have to use this technique but at least I am prepared if it does.
Last edited by Let'em set on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let'em set
hunter

Postby Joe Guide » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:03 pm

Glad to hear that ya'll are safe and everyone survived that incident.
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
Joe Guide
hunter

Postby CountryRN » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:03 pm

TylerAustin22 wrote: c.) always and i mean always wear your pfd while in a boat.......

FIFY.

At the very least get an inflation belt. I wear one while in the boat at all times. They are small/compact and will not get in the way of shooting. You can ge the pull cord type or the ones that inflate as soon as you hit the water.
ImageCyberscouting Image
CountryRN
hunter

Postby ducku » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:59 pm

There is a simple solution to the problem being argued regarding chest waders. Wear a wading belt around your waist on the outside of the waders. No water can enter the waders and they act like a life preserver from the waist down.
ducku
hunter

Postby layoutchase » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:39 pm

Above is correct...wader belts help. Also, when overboard, tuck your knees to your chest...the water is forced out and the air is retained. The lifejacket will keep your face out of the water, too. I've gone overboard 5 or 6 times layout hunting. Personally, I think it's hilarious, but I've had buddies go overboard and their bodies reacted differently. Always care a drybag with clothes and I keep a Coleman stove on the boat for emergency heat. And the black cloud? Yeah, save your money on that crap...
It's mine...and full off errors and lies. Check it out, though!
http://northcarolinaduckhunting.blogspot.com/
layoutchase
hunter

Next

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting