What type of decoys to buy

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

What type of decoys to buy

Postby killinhiflyers » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:35 am

I need to buy some more canvasback and blue bill decoys. I do not have a good past nor like the greenhead gear decoys. I typically use G&H. Yet here recently I have been considering adding some new decoys that are foam filled. Maybe someone can share their opinions of the pros and cons of weighted keel or foam filled. If anyone has a preference or brand they like to use.
killinhiflyers
hunter

Re: What type of decoys to buy

Postby layoutchase » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:58 am

Mine work good...
Attachments
555502_10100945831902151_1281432304_n.jpg
It's mine...and full off errors and lies. Check it out, though!
http://northcarolinaduckhunting.blogspot.com/
layoutchase
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:43 am

You cant go wrong with plastiduk decoys. they are some of the best quality and are foam filled. You can shoot them all up and they wont ever sink. Downside they weigh alot and are expensive, from 18 to 30 bucks a pop. I am looking for 2 dozen new geese and was looking at those but I think It would be way too much weight. We have mallards, pintail, and black ducks that are more than 15 years old from plastiduk that look great still and we still hunt to this day. You cant go wrong with g&h, but they arent foam filled, so if that is what you are looking for, i would sya look at plastiduk. The oversized g&h divers are some of the nicest diver decoys out there. 3 or 4 dozen oversized g&h and 3 dozen plus geese and you have a diver killing machine.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby 10goldsold » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:48 am

We have been replacing our diver spread with the higdon foam filled. They have worked out well and they are easy on the wallet.
10goldsold
hunter

Postby merg » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:16 am

KAhunter wrote:You cant go wrong with plastiduk decoys. they are some of the best quality and are foam filled. You can shoot them all up and they wont ever sink. Downside they weigh alot and are expensive, from 18 to 30 bucks a pop. I am looking for 2 dozen new geese and was looking at those but I think It would be way too much weight. We have mallards, pintail, and black ducks that are more than 15 years old from plastiduk that look great still and we still hunt to this day. You cant go wrong with g&h, but they arent foam filled, so if that is what you are looking for, i would sya look at plastiduk. The oversized g&h divers are some of the nicest diver decoys out there. 3 or 4 dozen oversized g&h and 3 dozen plus geese and you have a diver killing machine.

We have bout a hundred Plastiduk redheads-great decoys. I don't think ours are foam filled though-they're probably 20-25 yrs old,maybe more. The paint still looks great. They were once the go-to decoy around here-see very few now.
merg
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:02 pm

I always use the cheapest thing I can find. I'll tie two together.If one gets shot the other will keep it from sinking. then drill hole out and fill with min expanding foam.
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby canmannc » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:12 am

layoutchase wrote:Mine work good...

Wow!!!! You mustbe a really awesome duck hunter because your coys are so wooden!!! A true SALTER PATHER!!
canmannc
hunter

Postby The Mad Duck » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:45 am

I always use the cheapest thing I can find. I'll tie two together.If one gets shot the other will keep it from sinking. then drill hole out and fill with min expanding foam.

Not a good idea to fill with expanding foam. Expanding foam is porous and will soak up water like a sponge giving you a decoy that will fill with water and sink.The water that foam soaks up will negate any positive bouyancy the foam provides.
BUCK OFAMA IN 2012
The Mad Duck
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:29 am

I have the Tanglefree surf scoters. All their new divers and scoters are foam filled. The scoters seem to be pretty darn tough too.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby layoutchase » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:04 pm

canmannc wrote:
layoutchase wrote:Mine work good...

Wow!!!! You mustbe a really awesome duck hunter because your coys are so wooden!!! A true SALTER PATHER!!

Agreed...
It's mine...and full off errors and lies. Check it out, though!
http://northcarolinaduckhunting.blogspot.com/
layoutchase
hunter

Postby ncdrumchaser » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:34 pm

i got 4 doz of the tangle free red heads, had to adjust the paint, darken them but they rode great. foam filled seem to be the deal if you shoot near the decoys often(curtain boxes, open water blinds). they definatly passed the test, we are gonna get more of the red heads and blue bills for next year.
becuase you leave at 2 am to hunt ducks... makes me glad we have blind laws!
ncdrumchaser
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:27 am

If you want a good summer time project carve some of your own foamers. I started last year, and though they don't look nearly as good as some of the guys on here, it is very rewarding when you fool a flock and shoot a few over something you created.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:12 am

m.teeter wrote:If you want a good summer time project carve some of your own foamers. I started last year, and though they don't look nearly as good as some of the guys on here, it is very rewarding when you fool a flock and shoot a few over something you created.

What type of foam do you use and where do you gett it ?
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:25 pm

I have been buying underlayment foam from lowes but Home Depot carries the insulation board foam which is a lot denser and makes a better decoy. Here lately I have been using dock foam that floated off during all the rain we had recently. It's the best since its free.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:21 am

m.teeter wrote:I have been buying underlayment foam from lowes but Home Depot carries the insulation board foam which is a lot denser and makes a better decoy. Here lately I have been using dock foam that floated off during all the rain we had recently. It's the best since its free.

Cool thanx. do you have any pics?
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:29 pm

I don't have any of a finished bird but I did snap a few of a can I was working on the other day.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360610983.105417.jpg
m.teeter
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:32 pm

Just picked this one up last weekend at the Washington show.
Plan on floating it and using it as a yardage marking decoy
Attachments
photo (3).JPG
photo (3).JPG (38.4 KiB) Viewed 917 times
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby decoycarver0205 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:06 am

is that a charles holloman bird?
decoycarver0205
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:28 am

decoycarver0205 wrote:is that a charles holloman bird?

Yes it is
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby decoycarver0205 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:44 pm

got yourself somethin there :thumbsup:
decoycarver0205
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:54 am

decoycarver0205 wrote:got yourself somethin there :thumbsup:

Thanks. I am very pleased with it. I have been looking to add a "special unique" decoy to the spread that will hopefully become a tradition to hunt with and hopefully be passed down one day. Just got to try to keep the guys from putting some pellets in it now because I can only imagine what they would do to the canvas. I do have a few herters that have been in the line of fire over the last couple of years that the rust from the pellets are starting to bleed out of the decoy that look pretty darn cool though. Having to replace the old brittle plastic herter heads with a hand carved wood head is starting to work on wallet also which is not good.

Here is a copy of the result from the competition
I - Tri-County Telephone Canvas Gunning ( P )
I2 - Diving Ducks -Scaup
1: Charles Holloman (#57)
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby decoycarver0205 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:53 am

yup I was at the show. Charles makes a excellent bird and he was also featured in the last edition of Wildfowl carving magazine with a step by step process on canvas gunners. Think part two is coming out soon
decoycarver0205
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting