Just trying to get some info on...

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Just trying to get some info on...

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:11 pm

The impoundment that is in Durham...I think it is called the I-40 impoundment? Went to a Jimmy John's and was off 751 and saw it. It looked like it was tucked behind some apartment complex. Is this the name? Any info on it?

Not looking for your spot, just thinking about checking it out for next year. What's it like? Any good hunting on it?

Thanks for your time :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Re: Just trying to get some info on...

Postby triplecurl » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:47 pm

Yes there is an impoundment called I-40. Check your game lands book. They alternate years on flooding them and I can't remember if it was flooded this season or not as I didn't hunt it. Good hunting in there depends on ones definition of a good hunt. Maybe a woodie blast early, but that's gonna be about it.
Last night, I dreamed that I killed all the saggers, all the swaggers, and all of their duckface girlfriends...

It was called: The Yolocaust.
triplecurl
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:57 pm

If it is flooded this year, the next few weeks would be prime time to scout it to give you an idea of what birds it might hold so you would have an idea of what to expect for next season.

I think that is the impoundment that years ago some yankee living in the apartments confronted some hunters with a pistol and attempted to put them under citizens arrest and called the police because he feared for his and family's life because they were "legally hunting" near their residence. The police did come and take the yankee off to jail.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby triplecurl » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:12 pm

If it was flooded this year, it won't be flooded next year. They alternate flooding in those impoundments to keep from harming the trees. That's my understanding anyway.
Last night, I dreamed that I killed all the saggers, all the swaggers, and all of their duckface girlfriends...

triplecurl
hunter

Postby stix11 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:34 am

triplecurl wrote:If it was flooded this year, it won't be flooded next year. They alternate flooding in those impoundments to keep from harming the trees. That's my understanding anyway.

they typically rotate what they call the green tree impoundments to being dry once every three years. you can call butner depot and they will tell you the flooding schedule.
stix11
hunter

Postby triplecurl » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:53 pm

stix11 wrote:
triplecurl wrote:If it was flooded this year, it won't be flooded next year. They alternate flooding in those impoundments to keep from harming the trees. That's my understanding anyway.

they typically rotate what they call the green tree impoundments to being dry once every three years. you can call butner depot and they will tell you the flooding schedule.

I couldn't remember exactly how they did the flooding on the greentree impoundments. The flooding schedule will also be in the latest gamelands maps as well.

triplecurl
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting