Baited areas

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Re: Baited areas

Postby tsmart » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:41 pm

cbrtrvr wrote:If its not designated as a rest area

triplecurl wrote: Seems to me that Currituck has the GW's around there in their pocket with all the corning that goes on......

Where is the corn?

In Currituck, the Currituck Waterfowl Association used to feed (up until about 8-10 yrs ago).
One spot in particular, was right off Bell's Island at Watson's place.
Buoys were set up, with no hunting was allowed within 1,500 yards.
These were called "rest areas".

The Fed came in (seems like about 10 yrs ago), and said it could no longer happen, as it was creating a flyway.
So the feeding program was stopped.
The Fed Warden said "it's illegal to "feed" Wild Ducks. Period". (Take that how ever you want....)

But as far as feeding in Currituck, the Waterfowl Association has disbanded (like 10 yrs ago), and no longer feeds at rest areas for ducks (nor do they have rest areas any longer).
So if there is feeding/baiting going on triplecurl - you need to contact your local USFW warden and fill him in, instead of posting unwarranted allegations on a public forum.
Just saying..

T.
Free Pillowcasr & Whompus Cat !
tsmart
hunter

Postby fowlest1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:47 pm

Why is it you can put 8" of water on corn ? But you cant put corn in 8"of water????? :mad:
fowlest1
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:14 pm

fowlest1 wrote:Why is it you can put 8" of water on corn ? But you cant put corn in 8"of water????? :mad:

The same reason that some people have to work for money while others get money for not working. :lol3: :hammer:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:02 pm

Dingbatter 2, that is about as simple, yet expanative answer I've seen on this forum in quite some while. :clapping:
Shurshot
hunter

Postby Doubleplay » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:17 pm

canmannc wrote:Quit guessin and bait 'em. Kill your limit and move on! Then entire Bogue Sound is an underwater corn crop anyways. Most of the self righteous anti baiters are yankees anyways. They probly don't ever kill any ducks on their own. What difference does it make if you bait ducks if there is a limit set by the state. You kill your limit and leave 'em be until next time. Most of the people that are so concerned are the people that can't kill their limit no matter what they do so they blame everyone else for killing all of "their" ducks. Trout fishermen are similar. They suck at trout fishing, or they have a bad day, and they blame the gill netters. Let's all trust the government to tell us how many ducks we can shoot and how we sould do it. They are so good at everything else.

Are you serious??? and what does baiting to do with yankees or being self righteous? Or do you want to get rid off all the hunting laws and go back to to the days of market hunting?If everybody who duck hunts kills a limit every time they go out, do you now what will happen with the duck numbers? There's more to duck hunting then killing a limit every time but obviously you're not the type to understand that. I hope when you grow up you'll understand. Till then people like you should be prosecuted to the fullest extend of the game laws.
Doubleplay
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:52 am

If baiting were legalized, the limits would likely be reduced to two ducks of any kind, and possibly a shorter season, too. Poor trips are anticipated, and built into the limits.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby fowlest1 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:41 am

You would get your limit . Be out of the blind by 8-9. Leave the ducks to rest and eat the remainder of the day... :beer:
fowlest1
hunter

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:38 am

KAhunter wrote:It should be illegal to feed waterfowl during the season PERIOD. It has killed the teal and diver flights in currituck where my hunt club is. There are impoundments and bait piles that hold thousands of birds. You used to get good flights of teal. Now you dont see anything anymore. The hunting where we are has gone down dramtically in the last 10 years and that is a huge reason.

If thats the case then no one should be able to hunt over any grains period. There is no difference in flooding a rice or corn field than there is to dumping a sack of feed in the water. The ducks hold in both and will favor that area for that sole purpose. I can say its unfair that way cause the ducks dont come to my saltwater marsh cause they stay in the rice fields or corn fields that the people flood and hunt. You can bring water to the feed but u cant bring the feed to the water. I have no intensions of an arguement with any of u guys im just asking whats the difference.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter

Postby tsmart » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:29 pm

Saltwater_Assassin wrote:There is no difference in flooding a rice or corn field than there is to dumping a sack of feed in the water.

The difference is.
You will get a ticket if you get caught hunting over a dumped sack of corn in the water.
You will not get a ticket if you get caught hunting over a flooded rice/corn field.

If you need further assistance, contact your local game warden.

T.
tsmart
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:44 pm

tsmart wrote:
Saltwater_Assassin wrote:There is no difference in flooding a rice or corn field than there is to dumping a sack of feed in the water.

The difference is.
You will get a ticket if you get caught hunting over a dumped sack of corn in the water.
You will not get a ticket if you get caught hunting over a flooded rice/corn field.

If you need further assistance, contact your local game warden.

T.

Yup, it is what it is...if you don't like it, hunt deer.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby fowlest1 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:34 pm

nothing natural about pumping water in a corn field.... hunt a dry corn field around here for dux and see what happens.... :no:
fowlest1
hunter

Postby tsmart » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:05 pm

fowlest1 wrote:nothing natural about pumping water in a corn field....

You've never seen a corn field flood after a hard rain? :huh:

T.
tsmart
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:31 pm

tsmart wrote:

T.

what part of PUMPING do you seem to be having trouble with?
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby tsmart » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:10 am

ncbufflehead wrote:
tsmart wrote:

T.

None what so ever.

What part of simulating "natural" occurrences (such as rain flooding a corn field) are you having trouble with? :huh:

I learned a long time ago, I should worry less about what others do. It makes life so much simpler.
If some has impoundments, that's cool.
If they don't have one, that's cool.

The bottom line is, they are LEGAL. And everyone of us can build our own, if we so desire.
So if anyone has a problem with impoundements (as I once did), just build your own - NO PROBLEM! :thumbsup:

Just sayin....

T.
tsmart
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:20 am

tsmart wrote:
ncbufflehead wrote:
tsmart wrote:

T.

None what so ever.

What part of simulating "natural" occurrences (such as rain flooding a corn field) are you having trouble with? :huh:

I learned a long time ago, I should worry less about what others do. It makes life so much simpler.
If some has impoundments, that's cool.
If they don't have one, that's cool.

The bottom line is, they are LEGAL. And everyone of us can build our own, if we so desire.
So if anyone has a problem with impoundements (as I once did), just build your own - NO PROBLEM! :thumbsup:

Just sayin....

T.

X2. I never had an impoundment till 6 years ago and have since bult a second small one myself. It is a neat way to hunt and is alot of work to do it right. I ut my teeth hunting in open water and public land and swamps and marshes so I dont only rely on hunting an impoundment to kill ducks. I dont think impoundments are bad, I think feeding ducks with corn and not hunting them is bad. Lots of birds can sit all day and have no reason to leave. A well managed and hunted impoundment not only provides good habitat for ducks but a good place to hunt. And once again they are legal so its something that will be a big part of duck hunting in NC and VA into the future.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby tsmart » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:25 am

KAhunter wrote:A well managed and hunted impoundment not only provides good habitat for ducks but a good place to hunt.

You forgot the biggest benefit...

It helps us hold ducks in NC. Without people with impoundments, less ducks would hang around NC. They'd keep flying south.
So when you hunt your impoundment, you run the ducks off - and them ducks can go to public waters from there - which in turn helps the public water duck hunters.
But no one understands that benefit, unless you spell it out to them.

If private impoundments were illegal, we'd have much fewer ducks in NC than we have now.
Would love to have an impoundment myself, but it's no feasible at the moment. Maybe one day...

T.
tsmart
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:19 pm

tsmart wrote:
ncbufflehead wrote:
tsmart wrote:

T.

That is some funny **** right there :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
Maybe if we are experiancing the wrath of the 100year flood storm
If farmers were continuing getting their corn crop fields flooded with 1.5' of water they would be out of business quick
Your head is so far up your *** I don't think there is prayer in this world to save you
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby tsmart » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:09 pm

Coming fron you John, I wouldn't expect anything less. So I'll take that as a compliment.
If you haven't seen ducks hitting corn fields with sheet water, you're haven't been around very long.

T.
tsmart
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:47 pm

So this past season I am invited to my first-ever trip to Mattamuskeet. Old time Hyde county family, if I spelled out the name you would all be impressed. The host has had this impoundment in place for decades. It was SWEET. Corn and millet mix, comfortable blinds. I was certain I was in for the hunt of my life. Prior to this I had never hunted anything but public waters.

Well, the winds were wrong, and we never pulled the trigger in our blind ( a sister blind 600-700 meters away shot 1 duck. Guys, this was a SUPERBLY maintained impoundment.

My take-away: fancy-pants impoundments are not automatic 6-bird tickets.

Also- my host and his buddies, all long-time NC hunters and all natives of this great state, were all true sportsmen and great guys. They were there for the comraderie and fun.....they couldn't care less what we shot. I know it would be different if we were paying these guys ( we were guests)......by then end of a great weekend I couldn't care less either.

Now, I compare this to some of the yahoo's I have seen mainly in Carteret, Craven, and Onslow Counties over the past 10 years. I repeat: SOME (not all). Rude, unsafe, unfriendly, shooting before legal, shooting after legal, mainly young, unkept looking, not the kind of dude you want coming by to take Suzy out for a date.

My take-away, Part II: you let this latter crowd bait, and you might as well forget about it. Limits will be exceeded on a regular basis, species limits will be virtually ignored (these guys don't read much......Studying bird ID? Forget about it), it would just be bad.

I am not a impoundment snob. I have done so 1 day in my life (above). in fact, all in all I think I enjoyed hunting out of the river blind I built more than the impoundment. But I am with T-Smart on this one.
Paul26
hunter

Postby high flyer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:01 pm

tsmart wrote:
KAhunter wrote:A well managed and hunted impoundment not only provides good habitat for ducks but a good place to hunt.

You forgot the biggest benefit...

It helps us hold ducks in NC. Without people with impoundments, less ducks would hang around NC. They'd keep flying south.
So when you hunt your impoundment, you run the ducks off - and them ducks can go to public waters from there - which in turn helps the public water duck hunters.
But no one understands that benefit, unless you spell it out to them.

If private impoundments were illegal, we'd have much fewer ducks in NC than we have now.
Would love to have an impoundment myself, but it's no feasible at the moment. Maybe one day...

T.

So ducks did not come to NC before impoundments? NC was famous for its duck hunting long before impoundments came along. In my opinion impoundments have changed the flyway and wintering habits of the birds. I'm not against them, they do hold birds. I have hunted a couple in my life and had great hunts and bad hunts. Depends on the birds and the weather just like any other hunt. Its just a loophole around the baiting law. Rich men build impoundments, poor people bait. You over shoot either one and you will break the birds out.
high flyer
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:34 pm

tsmart wrote:Coming fron you John, I wouldn't expect anything less. So I'll take that as a compliment.
If you haven't seen ducks hitting corn fields with sheet water, you're haven't been around very long.

T.

Apparently you are correct I haven't been around very long since according to you agriculture practices have drastically called since my life span. Last time I checked corn is traditionally harvested around sept. traditionally nc starts to get the first good numbers of migrators in nov. I guess you are correct I have never seen ducks in nc hit a natural standing corn field in sheet rain water in late jan because the corn would have been harvested at least 4 months prior.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:27 pm

PUMPING water into a cornfield is not normal.

how in the world did a guy this stupid end up with the last name "smart" ?
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby tsmart » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:55 am

high flyer wrote: So ducks did not come to NC before impoundments?

Who said that? I didn't see that statement posted.

high flyer wrote: NC was famous for its duck hunting long before impoundments came along.

Yea, you're right. Key word - "WAS"
Have you compared the duck counts from back in the 70's - 80's verses today? We used to have greater populations of waterfowl all along the Atlantic Flyway. And we used to have more agriculture in NC. And we used to have more natural forage for ducks in NC. And we used to have more wetlands in NC. Unfortunately today, we have much less wetlands and forage for ducks, and we have less ducks. The ducks we do get, don't have as much incentive to stop and winter in NC (except for a few certain areas of NC). In the west, the bottom lands were agriculture, but today most are tree farms. Ducks are here for a few days, then gone south to better wintering grounds.

EastBound&Down wrote:Last time I checked corn is traditionally harvested around sept. traditionally nc starts to get the first good numbers of migrators in nov. I guess you are correct I have never seen ducks in nc hit a natural standing corn field in sheet rain water in late jan because the corn would have been harvested at least 4 months prior.

John, I didn't realize you were an expert in agricultural practices such as corn harvest, but there is still corn still standing in NC today. I past a couple fields in Wilkes County just this past weekend, and there are no impoundments there. Maybe they forgot to follow your idea that all corn must be harvested in Sept/Nov. Next time I get over that way - I'll stop in and see if I can get you a few farmers phone numbers, so you can call them and educate them on proper agricultural practices.

ncbufflehead wrote:PUMPING water into a cornfield is not normal.

No, but simulating sheet water isn't natural?

ncbufflehead wrote:how in the world did a guy this stupid end up with the last name "smart" ?

It sure beats "Bufflehead". :lol:
I've seen many Bufflehead decoy to an old tennis shoe, Styrofoam cup, or crap pot buoy.
Like they are real smart, eh? :huh:
If the shoe fits...

This thread is about "baited areas".
Properly managed impoundments, are not considered "baited areas" in NC.
I didn't make the rules, so if ya want to argue the point - call your local game warden or USFW agent.
Arguing with a duck hunter, is like wrestling a pig in mud.
You'll figure out real quick - they actually like it.

I don't have an inpoundment, but I do feel they help the public water duck hunter.
Without them, I don't think we would hold the ducks we do have for very long.
That's just my take.
You have your take, and that's fine.
Y'all go ahead and argue amongst yourselves. It will be real productive, I'm sure.
For me, I have better things to do...

Later,
T.
tsmart
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:10 am

EastBound&Down wrote:
tsmart wrote:Coming fron you John, I wouldn't expect anything less. So I'll take that as a compliment.

T.

Apparently you are correct I haven't been around very long since according to you agriculture practices have drastically called since my life span. Last time I checked corn is traditionally harvested around sept. traditionally nc starts to get the first good numbers of migrators in nov. I guess you are correct I have never seen ducks in nc hit a natural standing corn field in sheet rain water in late jan because the corn would have been harvested at least 4 months prior.

I have seen a ton of ducks in a sheet water field in january. I have had amazing hunts in fields that held only a ocuple inches of water after big rains in january and smacked them. Remember there is other stuff than corn in a corn field to eat. To one of your earlier posts, There also tends to be more water and less evaporation in the winter. So a field that may be great for corn to grow from may to september, when it tends to be warmer and drier, may be much wetter in winter, when it is cold and rains more fequently, and therefore may hold water than it would under normal situations in summer/spring. Also The first good migration of ducks is in september. There are plenty of good ducks here by mid to late septmber and into october. Just saying. And i am assuming you meant ag practices have drastically changed in your lifetime. This in fact is a correct statement. Ag. practice have changed alot in the last 25 years.
People need to realize that without food sources such as corn to hold birds in areas, there would be a lot fewer ducks that winter in NC. The habitat has been degraded from the great times of the past. The natural food sources, while still present in some places, has lessened in volume dramatically from the historic amount that once was available in NC. Development and pollution has done a number on the quality and availability of natural food sources. Now we still would have ducks, but it wouldnt be in the numbers we see now.
Learn how and when to hunt in NC and you can be very succesful outside of having an impoundment. If you can read the weather and know where to go, you can having amazing days on the water.
Last edited by KAhunter on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

KAhunter
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:15 am

tsmart wrote:
high flyer wrote: So ducks did not come to NC before impoundments?

Who said that? I didn't see that statement posted.

high flyer wrote: NC was famous for its duck hunting long before impoundments came along.

Yea, you're right. Key word - "WAS"
Have you compared the duck counts from back in the 70's - 80's verses today? We used to have greater populations of waterfowl all along the Atlantic Flyway. And we used to have more agriculture in NC. And we used to have more natural forage for ducks in NC. And we used to have more wetlands in NC. Unfortunately today, we have much less wetlands and forage for ducks, and we have less ducks. The ducks we do get, don't have as much incentive to stop and winter in NC (except for a few certain areas of NC). In the west, the bottom lands were agriculture, but today most are tree farms. Ducks are here for a few days, then gone south to better wintering grounds.

EastBound&Down wrote:Last time I checked corn is traditionally harvested around sept. traditionally nc starts to get the first good numbers of migrators in nov. I guess you are correct I have never seen ducks in nc hit a natural standing corn field in sheet rain water in late jan because the corn would have been harvested at least 4 months prior.

John, I didn't realize you were an expert in agricultural practices such as corn harvest, but there is still corn still standing in NC today. I past a couple fields in Wilkes County just this past weekend, and there are no impoundments there. Maybe they forgot to follow your idea that all corn must be harvested in Sept/Nov. Next time I get over that way - I'll stop in and see if I can get you a few farmers phone numbers, so you can call them and educate them on proper agricultural practices.

ncbufflehead wrote:PUMPING water into a cornfield is not normal.

No, but simulating sheet water isn't natural?

ncbufflehead wrote:how in the world did a guy this stupid end up with the last name "smart" ?

It sure beats "Bufflehead". :lol:
I've seen many Bufflehead decoy to an old tennis shoe, Styrofoam cup, or crap pot buoy. Thats pretty funny. And true.
Like they are real smart, eh? :huh:
If the shoe fits...
Hahahaha spot on!

This thread is about "baited areas".
Properly managed impoundments, are not considered "baited areas" in NC.
I didn't make the rules, so if ya want to argue the point - call your local game warden or USFW agent.
Arguing with a duck hunter, is like wrestling a pig in mud.
You'll figure out real quick - they actually like it.

I don't have an inpoundment, but I do feel they help the public water duck hunter.
Without them, I don't think we would hold the ducks we do have for very long.
That's just my take.
You have your take, and that's fine.
Y'all go ahead and argue amongst yourselves. It will be real productive, I'm sure.
For me, I have better things to do...

Later,
T.

Well said T. I couldnt agree more.

KAhunter
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting