Baited areas

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Re: Baited areas

Postby KAhunter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:17 am

One of my impoundments is flooded totally by rain water. Is this different than me using a pump to flood it?? You know what, like Tsmart said, its legal either way, so i guess its a moot point.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:27 am

KAhunter wrote:
tsmart wrote:
high flyer wrote: So ducks did not come to NC before impoundments?

Who said that? I didn't see that statement posted.

high flyer wrote: NC was famous for its duck hunting long before impoundments came along.

Yea, you're right. Key word - "WAS"
Have you compared the duck counts from back in the 70's - 80's verses today? We used to have greater populations of waterfowl all along the Atlantic Flyway. And we used to have more agriculture in NC. And we used to have more natural forage for ducks in NC. And we used to have more wetlands in NC. Unfortunately today, we have much less wetlands and forage for ducks, and we have less ducks. The ducks we do get, don't have as much incentive to stop and winter in NC (except for a few certain areas of NC). In the west, the bottom lands were agriculture, but today most are tree farms. Ducks are here for a few days, then gone south to better wintering grounds.

EastBound&Down wrote:Last time I checked corn is traditionally harvested around sept. traditionally nc starts to get the first good numbers of migrators in nov. I guess you are correct I have never seen ducks in nc hit a natural standing corn field in sheet rain water in late jan because the corn would have been harvested at least 4 months prior.

John, I didn't realize you were an expert in agricultural practices such as corn harvest, but there is still corn still standing in NC today. I past a couple fields in Wilkes County just this past weekend, and there are no impoundments there. Maybe they forgot to follow your idea that all corn must be harvested in Sept/Nov. Next time I get over that way - I'll stop in and see if I can get you a few farmers phone numbers, so you can call them and educate them on proper agricultural practices.

ncbufflehead wrote:PUMPING water into a cornfield is not normal.

No, but simulating sheet water isn't natural?

ncbufflehead wrote:how in the world did a guy this stupid end up with the last name "smart" ?

It sure beats "Bufflehead". :lol:
I've seen many Bufflehead decoy to an old tennis shoe, Styrofoam cup, or crap pot buoy. Thats pretty funny. And true.
Like they are real smart, eh? :huh:
If the shoe fits...
Hahahaha spot on!

This thread is about "baited areas".
Properly managed impoundments, are not considered "baited areas" in NC.
I didn't make the rules, so if ya want to argue the point - call your local game warden or USFW agent.
Arguing with a duck hunter, is like wrestling a pig in mud.
You'll figure out real quick - they actually like it.

I don't have an inpoundment, but I do feel they help the public water duck hunter.
Without them, I don't think we would hold the ducks we do have for very long.
That's just my take.
You have your take, and that's fine.
Y'all go ahead and argue amongst yourselves. It will be real productive, I'm sure.
For me, I have better things to do...

Later,
T.

Well said T. I couldnt agree more.

How does the saying go....
Never argue with a idiot, they will only drag you down to their level
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:29 am

EastBound&Down wrote:
KAhunter wrote:
tsmart wrote:

high flyer wrote: NC was famous for its duck hunting long before impoundments came along.

Have you compared the duck counts from back in the 70's - 80's verses today? We used to have greater populations of waterfowl all along the Atlantic Flyway. And we used to have more agriculture in NC. And we used to have more natural forage for ducks in NC. And we used to have more wetlands in NC. Unfortunately today, we have much less wetlands and forage for ducks, and we have less ducks. The ducks we do get, don't have as much incentive to stop and winter in NC (except for a few certain areas of NC). In the west, the bottom lands were agriculture, but today most are tree farms. Ducks are here for a few days, then gone south to better wintering grounds.

EastBound&Down wrote:Last time I checked corn is traditionally harvested around sept. traditionally nc starts to get the first good numbers of migrators in nov. I guess you are correct I have never seen ducks in nc hit a natural standing corn field in sheet rain water in late jan because the corn would have been harvested at least 4 months prior.

John, I didn't realize you were an expert in agricultural practices such as corn harvest, but there is still corn still standing in NC today. I past a couple fields in Wilkes County just this past weekend, and there are no impoundments there. Maybe they forgot to follow your idea that all corn must be harvested in Sept/Nov. Next time I get over that way - I'll stop in and see if I can get you a few farmers phone numbers, so you can call them and educate them on proper agricultural practices.

ncbufflehead wrote:how in the world did a guy this stupid end up with the last name "smart" ?

I've seen many Bufflehead decoy to an old tennis shoe, Styrofoam cup, or crap pot buoy. Thats pretty funny. And true.
If the shoe fits...
Hahahaha spot on!

I didn't make the rules, so if ya want to argue the point - call your local game warden or USFW agent.

I don't have an inpoundment, but I do feel they help the public water duck hunter.
That's just my take.
Y'all go ahead and argue amongst yourselves. It will be real productive, I'm sure.

Later,
T.

Most of the stuff you have said has been flat out wrong and you are calling us the idiots?? Get back to me when you know what you are talking about.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

KAhunter
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:35 am

KAhunter wrote:
EastBound&Down wrote:
KAhunter wrote:
tsmart wrote:

If the shoe fits...
Hahahaha spot on!

That's just my take.

Later,
T.

Most of the stuff you have said has been flat out wrong and you are calling us the idiots?? Get back to me when you know what you are talking about.

Wasn't referring to you , but if the shoe fits........
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby tsmart » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:46 am

EastBound&Down wrote:Wasn't referring to you , but if the shoe fits........

You quoted KA's post, so surely you was referring to him. :huh:

BTW - I already used "if the shoe fits line".
Guess you couldn't come up with something on your own. :rolleyes:

As for arguing with idiots, that's why I bowed out of the thread.
Idiots like you aren't worth my time. :lol:

Good day. :thumbsup:

T.
Free Pillowcasr & Whompus Cat !
tsmart
hunter

Postby merg » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:04 am

Don't have an impoundment-wish I did, I'd hunt the heck out of it. Having said that it always amuses me to hear the impoundment guys try to act like they are building their impoundments for the good of the ducks and the public hunters in their area. While impounds may or may not be good for the ducks, IMO they hurt the public water hunter in eastern NC-badly. I don't buy for a second that eastern NC does not have enough natural food- including dry cornfields- to hold the same number of birds.
Get away from Hyde and there really are not all that many impoundments in eNC-so what holds the ducks in those areas? Please. Impounds simply move birds from natural areas-huntable areas- to unnatural, private areas.
As for impounds providing shooting for public folks when the impound is shot-just don't see it. What I do see is rattled ducks heading to the very middle of the sound that you couldn't pull with a tractor. And then the ducks get to roosting in the impound-feeding all night,leaving before lst and sleeping all day in 20 ft o water mid-sound. He doesn't have to come to shallow water to eat anymore-does that at night in the impound. How does that help anybody?
Again-wish I had one. Envy those that do. Can't blame them a bit. But c'mon, quit acting like its really all for our benefit if we just were knowledgeable enough to understand. You don't build it for the good of the ducks, you don't build it for the good of the public hunter nor to increase the number of ducks holding in the sate. You build them to pull ducks off public water and put them in your private water so you can kill more of them-period. In no way,shape or form does the AVG private impoundment help anybody other than those hunting it.
merg
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:07 am

tsmart wrote:that's why I bowed out of the thread.
T.

I thought you were done :huh:
Guess not
While you are at it why don't you educate me on how it is illegal to feed ducks and the man will put you in jail if you are caught feeding ducks in the park bread crumbs
I also need to be refreshed on how to train deer hounds and how they can be made to obey voice commands and hand signals while running deer
You still stand behind those 2 statements? :lol3:
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:28 pm

merg wrote:Don't have an impoundment-wish I did, I'd hunt the heck out of it. Having said that it always amuses me to hear the impoundment guys try to act like they are building their impoundments for the good of the ducks and the public hunters in their area. While impounds may or may not be good for the ducks, IMO they hurt the public water hunter in eastern NC-badly. I don't buy for a second that eastern NC does not have enough natural food- including dry cornfields- to hold the same number of birds.
Get away from Hyde and there really are not all that many impoundments in eNC-so what holds the ducks in those areas? Please. Impounds simply move birds from natural areas-huntable areas- to unnatural, private areas.
As for impounds providing shooting for public folks when the impound is shot-just don't see it. What I do see is rattled ducks heading to the very middle of the sound that you couldn't pull with a tractor. And then the ducks get to roosting in the impound-feeding all night,leaving before lst and sleeping all day in 20 ft o water mid-sound. He doesn't have to come to shallow water to eat anymore-does that at night in the impound. How does that help anybody?
Again-wish I had one. Envy those that do. Can't blame them a bit. But c'mon, quit acting like its really all for our benefit if we just were knowledgeable enough to understand. You don't build it for the good of the ducks, you don't build it for the good of the public hunter nor to increase the number of ducks holding in the sate. You build them to pull ducks off public water and put them in your private water so you can kill more of them-period. In no way,shape or form does the AVG private impoundment help anybody other than those hunting it.

:thumbsup:
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby tsmart » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:43 pm

1st John, you have serious issues of keeping facts and quotes straight.
Can you not read post, and understand them?
Do you have to have everything spelled out to you?
Your still don't get it afterewards....
I imagine you have a serious case of ADHD .

EastBound&Down wrote:educate me on how it is illegal to feed ducks

tsmart wrote: The Fed Warden said "it's illegal to "feed" Wild Ducks. Period". (Take that how ever you want....)

Call the man. Ask him what he meant. That was HIS words, not mine.
He made it clear to the Currituck County Waterfowl association what he meant. You weren't there, so call and get the word from the horses mouth. :thumbsup:

EastBound&Down wrote:need to be refreshed on how to train deer hounds and how they can be made to obey voice commands while running deer
You're really reaching deep, to try and create an argument and stir the pot. :clapping:
Is that just your nature? Is that why the Wake Delta Chapter fell apart? :lol3:

Out of context, and off topic. But anyhow... to get it straight.
1) Deer Dog Hunters need to manage their hounds better. Private land owners and farmers are tired of the tresspassing. Hound hunting will end, if they can't get a hold on their practices. Controlling their hounds by voice or whistle commands is an option. Many labs can be whistle stopped at several hundred yards (is Labs that much smarter than Walkers and Beagles?).
Hound Hunting is prohibited where I live. It probably won't be long, before it's banned across the State because of some bad apples.
When it gets banned, just remember you heard it here first.

T.
tsmart
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:22 pm

hook, line, and sinker :lol3: :clapping:
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby tsmart » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:16 am

Drime.
tsmart
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:58 am

In danger of being spooled
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby tsmart » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:43 am

Only in your dreams, sfb.

T.
tsmart
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:24 am

SFB :lol3:
I'll have to admit I had to look that one up
I assume you are referring to the "bored" reference
If not, then you are just plain being mean now :sad:
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:43 pm

Cant everyone just get along??? Impoundments are great. Its alot of work and and time managing one(to do it right) but it can be very rewarding and fun. They do help keep more birds in NC and if you know the right way to hunt outside of the impoundments, you can have some great hunts off the birds that use in them. A properly run impoundment provides habitat, a rest area and food for waterfowl. Ours is flooded for atleast 6 months, from mid september to mid march and way more ducks find a great place to rest and a great place to feed on corn, natural foods and invertebrates than are killed each year. It is only 6 acres, but we send thousands of birds back north fat and happy and ready to breed and make more ducks. Like it or not, they are a legal part of NC duck hunting, so adapt or quit whining.

KAhunter
hunter

Postby merg » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:44 pm

Hold up now.... weren't YOU the one whinin about impoundments and bait piles ruinin your huntin in Currituck,in this very thread? How they hold 'thousands' of birds and the hunting has gone downhill for 10 yrs because of it? So you're tellin me your impoundment(s) are good for the ducks, public hunters and NC in general but those other guys impoundments are doing exactly what I said impoundments do-kill the natural flights. Since you know how to hunt outside impoundments why aren't you taking advantage of that great opportunity? You know "adapting".
THEIR impoundments are ruining MY hunting and their should be a law.
MY impoundments don't hurt YOUR hunting though, and its legal so stop whining.

I respect you as a poster and a fowler-my guess from reading your posts (and agreeing with most of em)is that you are an old school fowler (a fast disappearing species) like me. But in this thread you seem to have a 'whats good for the goose ain't good for the gander' attitude. If your impoundment is good for the ducks,holds ducks in NC, helps public hunters and sends healthy ducks back north...then so does theirs. If theirs hold ducks off public water and ruins the flights....then so do yours.
merg
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:20 pm

Let me specifiy merg. I am against continual feeding or putting out corn for ducks throught the season. There is an increasing number of impoundments that are simply fed and left to rest. This i believe greatly hurts hunting in many areas. A planted impoundment is one thing, with a finite amount of food and regular hunting pressure. This doesnt let a large number of ducks sit and not have any reason to move. If you continually feed ducks, in many cases putting out corn on a daily basis, and do not hunt it, I believe that hurts the hunting in many areas. I know of impoundments in currituck that hold 5 to 6 thousand teal and blackheads and woodies. These birds do not leave at all. They literally sit there all day and do not have any reason to move. Most of the ducks leave to roost elsewhere, but well after shooting time and come in to the impoundment either early or with complete disregard to going to anyones spread or any other area. These are the teal you used to see by the hundreds and sometimes thousands moving early and sometimes throughout the morning. When I grew up hunting churches island, we would see fairly regular teal flights. Now you dont see these ducks anymore at all. Even piney island, one of the nicest clubs in currituck, is having some very poor years. That is what bothers me. Feeding ducks, adding corn to the water on a regular basis, and just letting the birds sit. That i believe hurts duck hunting in many areas. I in no way want to hurt anyone else's hunting. I love this sport, and I want the people who want to do it right and who respect the animals and the sport to have as good a time as I am and be succesful. I in no way want to hurt anyone elses hunting, and I dont feel that i am hurting anyone else by having a properly managed and hunted impoundment.

Haha on a side not, the spell check keeps underlining impoundment and is trying to make me change it to impedimenta. Whats up with that?? May be my computer or part of DHC. Who Knows.

KAhunter
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:29 pm

KAhunter wrote:
Haha on a side not, the spell check keeps underlining impoundment and is trying to make me change it to impedimenta. Whats up with that?? May be my computer or part of DHC. Who Knows.

Even Bill Gates thinks impoundments are a bad thing ;)
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:35 pm

There is one landowner on Goose Creek Island, who owns maybe 90% of the impoundment acreage on the island, who does not hunt them, except for 1 or 2 for 1 or 2 days a year. He routinely has 20+ tons of corn fed to the birds each year. He has ruined puddle duck hunting on the island, compared to what it could be.

My spellchecker wants to change impoundment to impediment, too. Maybe it knows something we don't?
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby merg » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:45 am

KAHunter-Never thought for a second you were trying to hurt others hunting,and frankly, I don't think a single 6 acre impoundment is going disrupt natural flights . However,when you start adding in the big private impoundments that only shoot em twice a yr, and the duck clubs feeding ponds,and the huge NWR impoundments....you get to a point where ducks just hop-scotch from one 'refuge' to the next never even thinking about hitting the sound. We gave up a sweet blind in Beasley Bay right off the old Currituck club 6-7 yrs ago when Pine Island got down to one guy who only came down to shoot twice a yr-got tired of sittin there watching a gazillion teal (pullin everything else with em) stream into that marsh at LST and never leave every morning. Oregon Inlet has gotten the same way absent real weather. Your lucky if you ever see a puddle duck on the sound in Hyde Co anymore during shooting hours. One guy's 6 acre impoundment isn't an issue at all but when you start adding up all the impounded acres in NE NC its hard to come to the conclusion that they are not affecting natural flights,resting areas, roosts etc.-and its not a positive effect for the sound hunter.
I don't blame you-I envy you. But I'd a whole lot rather have an impoundment owner tell me "Yeah I bought the land,busted my hump to get an impound in and I pull/kill some ducks that otherwise might have come to you-name of the game is to kill ducks"..... rather than some version of "I did it for your good and the ducks good". Now I don't think that you, personally, are saying that but it seems to be the gist of impoundment owners claims when the topic comes up.

Overall we probably agree more than disagree on this subject.
merg
hunter

Postby Bloke » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:30 pm

Merg, you are right. They absolutely don't do it for the good of the ducks or the public hunter. Who would pay as much as those guys pay for the benefit of someone else besides themselves? The continuos feeding is an issue. It has reached a point where it directly affects every aspect of coastal hunting. The private impoundments adjacent to Pamlico Point are never hunted and glow during the day. I shot birds in the Pamlico Point impoundments that had corn in their crawls this year. What I don't understand is why you never hear of anyone getting caught hunting over bait in these impoundments. They are not planted with corn. It would be kind of tough to get a tractor across the bay river or oyster creek and those impoundments are full of corn. I guess when you have enough money to be in those clubs then you aren't worried about a baiting ticket. I personally know a guy that owns land in Hyde county that got caught with 75 ducks between him and his partner. He paid the ticket and never lost his license. Something is wrong with that.
Make sure their toe nails are wet
Bloke
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:52 pm

Bloke wrote:Merg, you are right. They absolutely don't do it for the good of the ducks or the public hunter. Who would pay as much as those guys pay for the benefit of someone else besides themselves? The continuos feeding is an issue. It has reached a point where it directly affects every aspect of coastal hunting. The private impoundments adjacent to Pamlico Point are never hunted and glow during the day. I shot birds in the Pamlico Point impoundments that had corn in their crawls this year. What I don't understand is why you never hear of anyone getting caught hunting over bait in these impoundments. They are not planted with corn. It would be kind of tough to get a tractor across the bay river or oyster creek and those impoundments are full of corn. I guess when you have enough money to be in those clubs then you aren't worried about a baiting ticket. I personally know a guy that owns land in Hyde county that got caught with 75 ducks between him and his partner. He paid the ticket and never lost his license. Something is wrong with that.

The impoundments adjacent to Pamlico Point, while not planted, are all accessible by land for equipment. When the guy shot himself in the leg a couple of years ago, the ambulance was right out on the dike. Jones Island Club has equipment on the island, and a barge landing for anything they don't already have. All of the other impoundments are either accessible by land or barge.

All that said, while some of the impoundments are planted, many are not. Most of the internal GCI impoundments are planted.The ones adjacent to Pamlico Point are pretty much universally known to be fed...many tons a year. The owner WAS busted a couple of years ago, was fined about $7,500, and lost his hunting privileges for two years. There was a big bust at Jones Island Club a few years ago that cost them pretty big.

BUT, much of the baiting continues, and while everybody knows it, nothing much is done, and that does disturb me, when I see little individuals getting popped for any number of petty violations, and the big guys getting away with it.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:26 pm

hey kinda off what you guys are talkin about, but still regarding to baiting... i went and did some boatriding the other day (season is over so i was kinda bird watching and breakin in a new boat botor as i ruined mine during the season) and passed a few blinds on a river that had huge signs on post put out in the water that just read "BAITED AREA". the signs were about 10 yards from the blinds and there were alot of no hunting signs down the banks around the blinds. now, are the people who built these blinds just trying to keep people away by making them think they are baited? or are they in fact baited and been busted by the man and the signs are official? or What? i wouldnt hunt the peoples blinds, i wouldnt even have ridden close enough to read em but they were big *** white and black signs right out in front of the blinds. yall seen this before???
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:52 pm

I dont think anyone implied they have bought or built impoundments for the benefit of the public. I have impoundments for my friends and family and myself to hunt. However, If managed right, impoundments do help hold more ducks in NC and provide high quality habitat for waterfowl in NC.

KAhunter
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:39 pm

KAhunter wrote: If managed right, impoundments do help hold more ducks in NC and provide high quality habitat for waterfowl in NC.

The same could be said for a corn pile ;)
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting