Baited areas

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Re: Baited areas

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:32 pm

Corn is bad for ducks. They love it, but it has the nutritional value of candy.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:59 am

trigger22 wrote:
KAhunter wrote: If managed right, impoundments do help hold more ducks in NC and provide high quality habitat for waterfowl in NC.

The same could be said for a corn pile ;)

True, but impoundments are legal, corn piles are not. Impoundments can be hunted legally, which makes a big difference between them and corn piles.
Dingbatter 2 wrote:Corn is bad for ducks. They love it, but it has the nutritional value of candy.

Corn and other grains are actually an important food source for ducks. When it is cold, they need corn as a "hot" food source. Corn is high in carbohydrates, and it helps them stay alive and warm when its cold. The great thing about ducks is as long as their is a variety of food sources available, they can easily move to each different food source to fulfill their nutritional needs. If you keep tabs on how ducks feed throughout the year, they move to different food sources as the season progresses. Early on they will hit both hot foods like corn and grains and moist soil/natural food sources(mostly because there isnt a large abundance of crops cut or flooded). During the later months, they key in on mostly corn and grains, foods high in carbs. As it gets in to late january, and february, they key in on more natural food sources and invertebrates. The hens are the ones that mostly key in on the invertebrates, for egg production, and the drakes follow the hens.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:04 am

I don't think that "Baiters" worry too much about the nutritional value of their "cornpiles". :rolleyes:

Good article on nutritional requirements and various waterfowl foods.

http://www.nwrc.usgs.gov/wdb/pub/wmh/13_1_1.pdf
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:18 am

Dingbatter 2 wrote:I don't think that "Baiters" worry too much about the nutritional value of their "cornpiles". :rolleyes:

Good article on nutritional requirements and various waterfowl foods.

http://www.nwrc.usgs.gov/wdb/pub/wmh/13_1_1.pdf

???? Ducks stay in an area to get the nutrition they need. If its not there, they move on to an area that has it. Its pretty simple. Being able to eat corn has not hurt ducks.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

KAhunter
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Do you guys think Corn would grow in saltwater? I hear it's very corrosive!
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby fowlhntr » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:26 am

wood duck commander wrote:Do you guys think Corn would grow in saltwater? I hear it's very corrosive!

I think alot of people have tried to plant it in saltwater.Apparently using this method you plant in the winter instead of in the spring .I also think most saltwater farmers are expecting a little different "yield" per bushel than the traditional spring field farmer. :beer:
fowlhntr
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:19 pm

fowlhntr wrote:
wood duck commander wrote:Do you guys think Corn would grow in saltwater? I hear it's very corrosive!

I think alot of people have tried to plant it in saltwater.Apparently using this method you plant in the winter instead of in the spring .I also think most saltwater farmers are expecting a little different "yield" per bushel than the traditional spring field farmer. :beer:

That's some good info man thanks.
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:47 pm

If you soak it in salt water for a few days and then pour it out in the woods the deer will love it. If the ducks find it then call the game warden and tell him that the ducks are eating your deer bait and you want a depredation permit. :lol3:
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:00 pm

Dude I didnt even know there were salt water deers.
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:19 pm

yeah ducks need corn :lol: , cause we all know they did so poorly for the hundreds of thousands of years before the evil white men came to our shores and ruined them by feeding them that nasty corn and wheat, and made them all fat and lazy. Poor things must have starved without all that good corn to keep them warm. Just saying. :yes: :yes: :yes:
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:47 pm

bigsprig wrote:yeah ducks need corn :lol: , cause we all know they did so poorly for the hundreds of thousands of years before the evil white men came to our shores and ruined them by feeding them that nasty corn and wheat, and made them all fat and lazy. Poor things must have starved without all that good corn to keep them warm. Just saying. :yes: :yes: :yes:

That's rite.
Last edited by wood duck commander on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:55 pm

tsmart wrote:
EastBound&Down wrote:educate me on how it is illegal to feed ducks

tsmart wrote: The Fed Warden said "it's illegal to "feed" Wild Ducks. Period". (Take that how ever you want....)

Call the man. Ask him what he meant. That was HIS words, not mine.
He made it clear to the Currituck County Waterfowl association what he meant. You weren't there, so call and get the word from the horses mouth. :thumbsup:
T.

Came across this on another forum that you posted

To help entice them, toss some corn out.
I always toss some corn around the boxes, after youth days are over and season is closed.
It makes a huge difference IMHO.

Obvious that you do not live by what you preach
Get ready for that knock on the door from the fed and be ready to pay that ticket that is a coming......DBMF :lol3:
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:28 am

EastBound&Down wrote:
tsmart wrote:

tsmart wrote: The Fed Warden said "it's illegal to "feed" Wild Ducks. Period". (Take that how ever you want....)

He made it clear to the Currituck County Waterfowl association what he meant. You weren't there, so call and get the word from the horses mouth. :thumbsup:
T.

I always toss some corn around the boxes, after youth days are over and season is closed.

Get ready for that knock on the door from the fed and be ready to pay that ticket that is a coming......DBMF :lol3:

You sure you aren't "crash"? That's the kind of stuff he does. Save old posts or hunt for them until they can be used to try to make a dumb, weak, point.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:50 am

bigsprig wrote:yeah ducks need corn :lol: , cause we all know they did so poorly for the hundreds of thousands of years before the evil white men came to our shores and ruined them by feeding them that nasty corn and wheat, and made them all fat and lazy. Poor things must have starved without all that good corn to keep them warm. Just saying. :yes: :yes: :yes:

:huh:
Or they did fine for thousands of years until we came here and destroyed/degraded their habitat and overhunted them. Then some people who know about MANAGING for waterfowl came along and set seasons and created habitat and regulated hunting. Their natural food in NC is a fraction of once it once was, especially on the sounds. Ducks need food other than corn. Corn however, is a food source that is the ducks utilize and does keep birds using in NC. Hate to break ti to you, but waste grain is very important in sustaining waterfowl populations across the entire continent.

KAhunter
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:12 am

wahoowilly wrote:You sure you aren't "crash"? That's the kind of stuff he does. Save old posts or hunt for them until they can be used to try to make a dumb, weak, point.

Nope not Crash here but I will take that as a compliment :huh:
Just making a point to a certain somebody who thinks they are soooo right but in reality so wrong
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am

KAhunter wrote:

:huh:
Or they did fine for thousands of years until we came here and destroyed/degraded their habitat and overhunted them. Then some people who know about MANAGING for waterfowl came along and set seasons and created habitat and regulated hunting. Their natural food in NC is a fraction of once it once was, especially on the sounds. Ducks need food other than corn. Corn however, is a food source that is the ducks utilize and does keep birds using in NC. Hate to break ti to you, but waste grain is very important in sustaining waterfowl populations across the entire continent.

If it wasn't, the FWS wouldn't dump it out by the triaxle dump load in NWR's...despite denying they do so...seen it firsthand.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:59 am

triaxle dump load I think I had one of those a couple years back after eating Oysters at Frog Island Seafood :hammer: . Did not realize they attracted ducks, will try to remember next season.
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:23 pm

bigsprig wrote:triaxle dump load I think I had one of those a couple years back after eating Oysters at Frog Island Seafood :hammer: . Did not realize they attracted ducks, will try to remember next season.

Everybody loves a little ass, but nobody loves a smart ass. :lol:
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby tsmart » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:31 pm

EastBound&Down wrote:
tsmart wrote:

T.

Wow. Your post really show your quality, well... lack of quality.

Feeding ducks tons of corn to hold them in the area to hunt them, vs feeding a couple pounds to help them find a nest box?
Are you serious? You're really reaching there Cfmf.
Fact is; you're just infatuated, and you make it too obvious. :lol3:

T.
Free Pillowcasr & Whompus Cat !
tsmart
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:47 am

I like the way you change your opinion as you dig the hole deeper and deeper. All you have ever boosted was FEEDING DUCKS IS ILLEGAL. Now it is okay to feed them a little bit, but if you feed them a lot then it is a no no. :huh:
This is my last post on this thread. I am done. You may have the last insulting name calling comment :thumbsup:
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby peter lates etheridge » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:03 pm

its not unlawfull to feed ducks ,its unlawfull to hunt over corn ,so feed feed feed just remeber no hunting untill the last curnnell is gone plus 10 more days ,then shoot shoot shoot fedral law states no hunt for 10 days after last kernnel gone i dont have spell check kernnel ?
:beer:
peter lates etheridge
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:52 pm

Does anyone still actually get out and hunt ducks anymore? Or do they just throw some corn out and sit in a blind and talk about what great hunters they are. :lol3:
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby daveusa99 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:54 am

Taxidermist has it correct. While state law says you have to be 300 yards away and can't be closer within 10 days of bait being placed, Federal law has no limit. Seriously, no limit. According to them, if there is bait out and you know it is there whereby you are indeed altering the flight path of birds to get to it or cutting off their flight path to get to it, they can ticket you for hunting over bait. The Fed warden confirmed not only that but went further to say that if I were sitting in a boat at the mouth of a river that is a "known" fly way of ducks to get to bait and I was hunting them, then I can get fined even if I am 1/2 mile away or more.

It is intentionally made vague so it can be up to the officer to decide. Part of the hunters "good news" on this is that you have to "knowingly" be aware that an area is baited to get a fine but once you know, someone tells you, you are up S creek. I think it is a really stupid law as if this were indeed as the Fed officer pointed out, then you may as well ticket every hunter from Canada to Mexico on a flyway because they are migrating to a food source and you know it. But that is the Fed law, look it up. Had one lady which feeds them put an actual huge sign up saying "baited area, no hunting". Guess she knew the rules. F'd up but there is no law against feeding ducks if you aren't hunting them.

As for pictures with bait present while hunting ducks in photos. It is not really "bait". The definition of bait is something you put out not something "natural" so if you hunt a rice paddy and rice is all over the place but you didn't intentionally spread it or cause it to fall, then it is not considered baited. This is very touchy but that is how it was explained and the reason why duck hunters can indeed hunt over rice fields and corn fields without getting in trouble for baiting. If you hunt over one and bring a bag of corn and spread it out, then you are in trouble once again. This is what I was told by law enforcement but I didn't read this as a "rule". I would be careful in any event but it makes sense because NC Cons just mentioned you can't bait bears in NC but if you have natural peanuts, it is not baiting them. Roasted peanuts are but natural peanuts are not. Just an FYI
daveusa99
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:12 pm

I still say it should be illegal to dump anything, including bait, into public waters. That way both the renegades and the little old ladies who feed ducks both get busted. :hammer:
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Wed May 22, 2013 4:13 am

I still say it should be illegal to dump anything, including bait, into public waters. That way both the renegades and the little old ladies who feed ducks both get busted.

I agree 100% with this statement. I'm much more worried about the little old ladies. In several of the areas I hunt, there are houses nearby and I hunt the open water in the general area close to them and any gw could say at any given time "you're in the flyway to the bait." And all the gw's around here are just looking to give you a ticket for anything that they can. Any time that "it's up the to the gw's discretion" it worries me, bc I know how they are. They should either make it legal to feed and hunter over it, or completely make it illegal to feed. They won't though, because the grey area keeps the ability to write more tickets, thus taking more money. Sad but true. I always get worried any time that I go to the coast and hunt that I may set up in an area where there is corn. I live 4 hours away so I don't know where someone may just happen to bait. At any given time I could set up in a spot only to have a crooked a gw come along and write a ticket for hunting over bait when I had no clue. Seen it happen before.
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Previous

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting