Youth Hunt

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Youth Hunt

Postby Duraco » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:06 pm

Just curious if anyone participated in youth hunting since regular season ended. If so did you have a successful hunt? Tell us how your kid did.
Duraco
hunter
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:25 pm


Re: Youth Hunt

Postby Willie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:21 pm

Believe it's this Saturday and next Saturday.
User avatar
Willie
hunter
 
Posts: 3954
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:52 am
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC

Re: Youth Hunt

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:27 pm

Youth days are February 2nd and February 9th :thumbsup:

Plan on taking some kids out at least one of those days :grooving:
mayhem96
hunter
 
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Burlington, NC

Re: Youth Hunt

Postby Duraco » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:47 am

I'm gonna scout some local farms for my son and hopefully participate. I didn't realize the dates were coming up. This will make my kids day. Hes only hunted ducks once. Everyone that can should make an extra effort to do this for a kid.
Duraco
hunter
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:25 pm

Re: Youth Hunt

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:25 pm

Duraco wrote:I'm gonna scout some local farms for my son and hopefully participate. I didn't realize the dates were coming up. This will make my kids day. Hes only hunted ducks once. Everyone that can should make an extra effort to do this for a kid.


You will only be able to hunt geese just so you know. Under 16, geese, swans, and ducks. Over 16, just sky carp :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter
 
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Burlington, NC

Re: Youth Hunt

Postby layoutchase » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:14 pm

Please folks, if you go, read the regs about hunting places. Some wildlife refuges only allow hunting through January because they hate children, I suppose.

Also, if you're taking a herd of nose miners in the morning, please, PLEASE don't let them skybust. IT ruins it for other kids, cripples birds for weeks until they die, and it just establishes a terrible habit. Let them shoot ducks on the water...it's safer for them and you and anybody else around...

give them a whistle and a jerk string and make them part of the hunt, too. And carry plenty of snacks. It's their hunt, so if they get bored, you better get goin' home. And if the kid does something bad, please don't whip his @$$ like I saw a guy do last year in front of the whole world :huh:

And make your kid work for it...let him drag the decoys, untangle the knots, fall in the water, and spill his soda. But how about you just hang on to his shells for him...

Good luck tomorrow!
It's mine...and full off errors and lies. Check it out, though!
http://northcarolinaduckhunting.blogspot.com/
layoutchase
hunter
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:03 pm
Location: Frying Pan

Re: Youth Hunt

Postby mayhem96 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:06 pm

Great post Chase :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter
 
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Burlington, NC

Re: Youth Hunt

Postby wstober » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:13 pm

layoutchase wrote:Please folks, if you go, read the regs about hunting places. Some wildlife refuges only allow hunting through January because they hate children, I suppose.

Also, if you're taking a herd of nose miners in the morning, please, PLEASE don't let them skybust. IT ruins it for other kids, cripples birds for weeks until they die, and it just establishes a terrible habit. Let them shoot ducks on the water...it's safer for them and you and anybody else around...

give them a whistle and a jerk string and make them part of the hunt, too. And carry plenty of snacks. It's their hunt, so if they get bored, you better get goin' home. And if the kid does something bad, please don't whip his @$$ like I saw a guy do last year in front of the whole world :huh:

And make your kid work for it...let him drag the decoys, untangle the knots, fall in the water, and spill his soda. But how about you just hang on to his shells for him...

Good luck tomorrow!



You must deal with kids for a living. Great advice.
wstober
hunter
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:36 pm
Location: Mebane, NC

Re: Youth Hunt

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:24 am

Kid I was going to take out said his alarm didn't go off and wouldn't you know, had 16 Mallards working a dry field :no: :no:

Ducks landing right in the pond and all I could do was wave at them :fingerpt: :fingerpt:
mayhem96
hunter
 
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Burlington, NC

Re: Youth Hunt

Postby layoutchase » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:00 pm

We did good this morning. Decided to hit a public impoundment at 9am, set out 8 decoys, and my little guest shot 6 drakes, said he didn't wanna shoot any girls. The two teal were the first ducks he ever shot at. He spent 12 shells all morning. They decoyed fairly carelessly and we had a blast!

Even the dog worked good. We slept in, carried a light load, and ate 14 granola bars...good times.

Yeah WDSt, I do work with kids, but you knew that... :thumbsup: :help:
Attachments
792208_10101172883204521_1209229641_o.jpg
It's mine...and full off errors and lies. Check it out, though!
http://northcarolinaduckhunting.blogspot.com/
layoutchase
hunter
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:03 pm
Location: Frying Pan

Re: Youth Hunt

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:20 pm

Very nice Chase :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter
 
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Burlington, NC

Re: Youth Hunt

Postby cbrtrvr » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:40 pm

6 ducks today. My son killed his 1st gadwall on his 1st hunt ever. And my daughter rolled 2 ot of 3 teal as they can thru the decoys. Will post a pick soon.
cbrtrvr
hunter
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:57 pm

Re: Youth Hunt

Postby cbrtrvr » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:49 pm

youth hunt
Attachments
IMG952013020295114945.jpg
cbrtrvr
hunter
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:57 pm

Re: Youth Hunt

Postby EastBound&Down » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:54 pm

Got up with DuckShackDave and we took his 9 year old out today. Little Man got his 1st kill ever. Dad couldn't have been prouder as I was myself. Today a future decoy hauler was created :thumbsup:
Attachments
1st goose.jpg
1st goose.jpg (63.45 KiB) Viewed 1478 times
EastBound&Down
hunter
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:14 pm

Re: Youth Hunt

Postby Duraco » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:38 pm

My son and I went today and he took a friend whom had never tried the flying targets. Pretty sure hes hooked and this day he will not forget. We hunted down east off the Neuse with some locals and had a productive hunt. I really enjoyed just watching. So glad we were able to participate. Life is good.
Duraco
hunter
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:25 pm

Re: Youth Hunt

Postby NCSUDucker » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:51 am

Awesome youth day hunt even if the total number of birds doesn't reflect it. You would have seriously thought we were sitting on a pothole in Nodak just after legal, why can't we get birds like that during the season :) Anyway, I have been blessed with the chance to take previous students each year for over a decade now. Thanks to Eric Perry of Wings and Thangs Taxidermy, we even had a young lady shooter this am who could more than hold her own! They finished the morning with 5 birds, unfortunately we lost two cripples but I think they all had a great time despite the temperature hovering around the 20 degree mark!

Image

Cool side fact, the young man on the right is the brother to the first kid I ever took :tu

Brad
A good friend will bail you out of jail...A TRUE friend will say, "Damn that was fun!"
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 1581
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:45 pm
Location: Piedmont, NC

Re: Youth Hunt

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:46 pm

Had the pleasure of taking Miss Casey out on her very first hunt ever. She is a member of her schools shooting team and is a VERY good shot. When I found out she had never been hunting I simply couldnt believe it and invited her. Super glad I did and I believe she is now hooked on the sport I so love.
Didnt see but a handful of ducks (mostly woodies) but did call in a small flock of geese. When she connected and the bird went down, she was shocked by the splash hahahaha. Looking forward to next weekend for sure
Image

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
User avatar
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 2644
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:03 pm
Location: NC

Re: Youth Hunt

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:30 pm

Nice job STUMP! See...you can blow a goose call :yes: :yes:
mayhem96
hunter
 
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Burlington, NC

Re: Youth Hunt

Postby Average Joe » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:04 pm

Sweet hunts and glad to hear people spreading the love.
a bad day hunting beats a good day at work everytime
User avatar
Average Joe
hunter
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: VA & N.C.

Re: Youth Hunt

Postby DuckShackDave » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:26 am

EastBound&Down wrote:Got up with DuckShackDave and we took his 9 year old out today. Little Man got his 1st kill ever. Dad couldn't have been prouder as I was myself. Today a future decoy hauler was created :thumbsup:


I just wanted to give a quick shout out to EBD. We had a great time Saturday. Little man is still talking about it and there is no way I could have hauled in all that stuff without help from EBD. Decoys, stools, kayak, guns, one little boy... All that stuff starts to add up to many many trips across the swamp without the extra help. Thanks again.

He is still only 7 years old. He turns 8 next week. Gotta start them early! :thumbsup:
What happens at the Duck Shack, stays at the Duck Shack
User avatar
DuckShackDave
Newb
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Youth Hunt

Postby EastBound&Down » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:30 am

DuckShackDave wrote:
EastBound&Down wrote:Got up with DuckShackDave and we took his 9 year old out today. Little Man got his 1st kill ever. Dad couldn't have been prouder as I was myself. Today a future decoy hauler was created :thumbsup:


I just wanted to give a quick shout out to EBD. We had a great time Saturday. Little man is still talking about it and there is no way I could have hauled in all that stuff without help from EBD. Decoys, stools, kayak, guns, one little boy... All that stuff starts to add up to many many trips across the swamp without the extra help. Thanks again.

He is still only 7 years old. He turns 8 next week. Gotta start them early! :thumbsup:

Glad to help :thumbsup:
Heck if I would have known he was only 7 I would have never offer to let him drive my truck
He looked at me sideways when we were driving through the woods and I asked him where I needed to go because I was lost. He basically said I better pull over and let daddy in the back of the truck drive.
EastBound&Down
hunter
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:14 pm

Re: Youth Hunt

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:12 pm

mayhem96 wrote:Nice job STUMP! See...you can blow a goose call :yes: :yes:


No call or decoys boss. Didnt think we would see any geese but we saw alot. Ended up mouth calling. First flock came over out of range twice looking for friends but decided that since none were there they would leave. Second flock came over looking and came back to sit down...mistake
Ill have decoys and a call next weekend for sure
STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
User avatar
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 2644
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:03 pm
Location: NC

Re: Youth Hunt

Postby QuackAddict95 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:25 pm

i took my brother and another guy thats 15. we had a bunch of birds around before shooting light. then soon as it got time to shoot guys were letting their kids shoot at ducks 60 and 70 yards. It really messed up the hunting. We were in an impoundment and some guys set up with their kids less than 100 yards away. we ended up having to move because every time we would start working some ducks those guys would let them shoot at them when they were closer to us. After we moved we had a better hunt. We let my little brother shoot 4 ruddys. andd he got them with 3 shots. The other kid got a black duck and wegdeon.
Attachments
11370_497102183661626_268682035_n.jpg
11370_497102183661626_268682035_n.jpg (14.91 KiB) Viewed 828 times
QuackAddict95
hunter
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:11 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Re: Youth Hunt

Postby Joe Guide » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:41 pm

Had two groups out on Youth waterfowl hunting days on FEB 2 and 9th...tons of birds and those ages 8 - 11 enjoyed themselves tremendously.
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
User avatar
Joe Guide
hunter
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:06 pm
Location: Coastal North Carolina


Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests