GOING TO BUY IT

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

GOING TO BUY IT

Postby steelslinger » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:51 pm

Figured I would put this here because I will be using it in ENC and could use some of your input. If you don't know, try not to clog this post up with useless chit chat.

I have decide to drop the hammer on buying a boat. Not definite on boat type yet but am looking at two of them from Lowe Boats at this point:

Roughneck Frontier 2070 with a 75 HP
Roughneck Frontier 1860 with a 70 HP

Still looking around for the best deal but am looking at somewhere between 17 and 21K
Have looked at some War Eagles but believe that I can get pretty much the same boat/floor plan but for 5K less

Now for the question, This boat will be used for all around usage - hunting/fishing and recreation. I will be using it for hunting areas such as but not limited to Pamlico Point. During the summer, the wife/son and I go to Cape Lookout to the lighthouse frequently and Shackleford for the wild horse viewing. I believe and correct me if I am wrong, the 18 can handle most everything that the point can throw at it but the 20 will handle it better. I am looking for a boat that I can take in rough water/conditions and still feel fairly safe in.

I am also looking at the different consoles - center/side. Center rides higher for better visibility but takes away in floor space if there is a gun/rod box (which there will be). Side console gives more suggested floor space but takes away visibility until you are on plane. Side console lets people sit at the same level as the driver (for conversation and comfort/safety reasons) and it seems like the center console takes away from the sitting plans overall.

I think that I am going with the 2070 Side console but would like some input from you guys on what you see as the pro/cons of each.
If you hunt WITH your children today, you won't hunt FOR them tomorrow
Put "em in the woods and keep 'em off the streets
gangrig25 wrote:SO YOU WANT A PAT ON THE BACK OR WHAT :huh:
steelslinger
Capt. Obvious

Re: GOING TO BUY IT

Postby trigger22 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:59 pm

Definitely go with the 20 foot. I prefer the center console personally as I like the added visibility and not to mention it cuts away from sea spray. It does take up more room than the side console though. I would assume you will want to put a blind on the boat. Side consoles can be a pain to deal with using a blind and the center console is much better suited for this. I also feel more comfortable in rough water in a center console over side. I would suggest you look at increasing your motor to a 90 though. The 75 will push it, but once you are loaded down with gear you'll want the added ponies of the 90. It is more money up front, but it is better to spend it the first time than to wish you had it 2-3 years down the road and end up spending money repowering.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby Willie » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:25 pm

For me, I'd go with a fiberglass boat instead of a big Jon boat. For what you're going to drop on the aluminum boat, you can get a damn nice 20' center console with a much bigger motor. The glass boat will be self bailing too.
If you are set on the 20' Jon boat, I'd get a bigger motor too, at least a 90.
Willie
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:57 pm

Shoot. I just wanted to chit chat.Must be on the wrong page.I was looking for n.c. duck hunting CHAT!!!
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:35 pm

Willie wrote:For me, I'd go with a fiberglass boat instead of a big Jon boat. For what you're going to drop on the aluminum boat, you can get a damn nice 20' center console with a much bigger motor. The glass boat will be self bailing too.

x2
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Quack Wacker NC » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:25 am

Looks at the Seaark v pro model with the 15 degree hull it will ride much better than your average Jon boat, been in a bunch of Jon's with the crest liner with a 12 degree hull and the Seaark with the 15 are both good riding Jon's with the Seaark it's just a little better. What's the degree on the Lowe ?
Quack Wacker NC
Forum Moderator

Postby Quack Wacker NC » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:32 am

I just looked it up and it says variable which probably means not much, typical hulls are 3-8, also the hp rating is only 75 on the 20 ft because its a 100 ga boat, most other manufacture use 100 ga on 18 ft and smaller and 125 ga on 20 ft and bigger
Quack Wacker NC
Forum Moderator

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:42 am

ncbufflehead wrote:
Willie wrote:For me, I'd go with a fiberglass boat instead of a big Jon boat. For what you're going to drop on the aluminum boat, you can get a damn nice 20' center console with a much bigger motor. The glass boat will be self bailing too.

x2

x3
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:39 am

I agree with the fiberglass recommendation. My first suggestion is an Intruder, but that is a little more than your 17-21k price range. You can however get in a Riddick Bay Runner brand new with 4 stroke 115 for that price.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby layoutchase » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:15 am

I like the idea of a fiberglass boat, too. I got a Carolina skiff kit boat and it's bare bones, but you can customize them however you choose. Just get the DLX - I think that's the one with a mod-V. Aluminum boats seem to draw to much water and lack the freeboard space for bigger water runs. Check out Marine Warehouse Center in Wilmington. They do decent work and have fair prices.
It's mine...and full off errors and lies. Check it out, though!
http://northcarolinaduckhunting.blogspot.com/
layoutchase
hunter

Postby stix11 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:35 am

layoutchase wrote:I like the idea of a fiberglass boat, too. I got a Carolina skiff kit boat and it's bare bones, but you can customize them however you choose. Just get the DLX - I think that's the one with a mod-V. Aluminum boats seem to draw to much water and lack the freeboard space for bigger water runs. Check out Marine Warehouse Center in Wilmington. They do decent work and have fair prices.

x2 on a carolina skiff...but its the DLV that has the modified V...the DLX is the flat bottom that will beat your teeth out. been there..done that
stix11
hunter

Postby steelslinger » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:50 am

wood duck commander wrote:Shoot. I just wanted to chit chat.Must be on the wrong page.I was looking for n.c. duck hunting CHAT!!!

Lots of good advice thus far.

OK you can chat, I just don't want to hear any chit
If you hunt WITH your children today, you won't hunt FOR them tomorrow
Put "em in the woods and keep 'em off the streets
gangrig25 wrote:SO YOU WANT A PAT ON THE BACK OR WHAT :huh:
steelslinger
Capt. Obvious

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:11 am

Below is a list of a few brands that can build a skiff in a hunter green color

Maycraft
BayRider
Carolina Yatch
Jones Brother
Key West
Riddick Bay Runner
Intruder
sure there are some others....

Privateer and Parker boats also make one heck of a duck rig for big water but these boats will draft more water than the above skiff models
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby Average Joe » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:36 am

Regardless of what you go with and this being your first real boat you’re going to find issues with whatever you choose and wish you picked something else. Just the nature of the beast.

Somethings I would look at is:
Width - the wider the more stability and room for movement
Sidewall height - the taller the less splash on the Misses during the off months and less impact from swells in the winter
If aluminum, the gauge of the aluminum which is probable the difference in cost between LOWE and WAREAGLE (WE), WE is thicker. Thickness will dictate overall structure strength and HP rating
Fiberglass - requires polish or it can stain, rots/waterlogs if cracked, etc
Aluminum - can be repainted, just requires the occassional rinse and modifications are easier with bolt on attachments

Been on several Carolina Skiffs and they work but have seen the following issues waterlogged fiberglass, cracked/pulled out cleets and bow wench ring (not sure the proper name but I hope you get the idea), was an inch shorter every time I got off, overall not interested

Agree with taking a look at the angle but with that there is a balance between riding depth and the stability provided by the hull angle. Flat bottom floats shallow but beat the crap out of you and deep angles need more water depth to run.
a bad day hunting beats a good day at work everytime
Average Joe
hunter

Postby Technician » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:34 pm

carolina skiff is wet ass boat but cheap. i wouldnt waste my time at marine warehouse center in wilmington if you go that route. you'll be back there asking them to fix crap they should have done correctly to begin with. Any skiff can be painted green for a price. dont go aluminum over 18 ft, it defeats the purpose. lowe makes a good boat and you dont have to worry about knocking it around. 90 horse on an 18 is good power with alot of gear. runs in the 40's with no gear.

If you are on big water a lot you will fixing welds no matter what alum boat you get. if you get a bigger skiff they will draw more water and will be tougher to hide. just depends on where you hunt. Most times you get what you pay for in terms of performance from flat bottom fiberglass boats and I can tell you this, you dont want a wet duck boat.

i cant drive sitting down, its just too limiting to visibility so I prefer center console and deal with it taking up much of the open space in the hull. They are typically more money as well.
Technician
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:13 pm

EastBound&Down wrote:
ncbufflehead wrote:

x2

x3

What the areas/usage you are looking for I'm with these guys. I'd check around for the used Jones Brothers Bateaus..they are the best skiff around. You get a 19' in good shape with a 90 on it for under 20k all day long.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby trigger22 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:21 pm

grizz18 wrote:
What the areas/usage you are looking for I'm with these guys. I'd check around for the used Jones Brothers Bateaus..they are the best skiff around. You get a 19' in good shape with a 90 on it for under 20k all day long.

I wouldn't go as far as stating that they are the best skiff around, but they are good skiffs, but will rattle your brains in a decent chop.
trigger22
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:04 pm

trigger22 wrote:
grizz18 wrote:

I wouldn't go as far as stating that they are the best skiff around, but they are good skiffs, but will rattle your brains in a decent chop.

I have ridden in a couple of 19 JB and never have been too impressed with the boat. As stated they will rattle you to death in a chop, are a fairly wet ride , and the side walls flex too much for my liking. However any JB owner you talk to will swear up and down that they are the best skiff on the market :huh: Perhaps they have convinced themselves that to justify what they had to pay for the boat.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:32 am

EastBound&Down wrote:
trigger22 wrote:
grizz18 wrote:

I have ridden in a couple of 19 JB and never have been too impressed with the boat. As stated they will rattle you to death in a chop, are a fairly wet ride , and the side walls flex too much for my liking. However any JB owner you talk to will swear up and down that they are the best skiff on the market :huh: Perhaps they have convinced themselves that to justify what they had to pay for the boat.

I've been in several and they are better than any other skiff I've been in. Show me a skiff that won't beat your brains in...
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby EastBound&Down » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:38 am

Not trying to get in a pissing contest with you, but you ought to ride in a Intruder or Riddick.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:35 am

grizz18 wrote:
I've been in several and they are better than any other skiff I've been in. Show me a skiff that won't beat your brains in...

Here's one....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360254913.754865.jpg
trigger22
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:40 am

trigger22 wrote:
grizz18 wrote:

Here's one....

Does that boat even float? :lol3:
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:56 am

EastBound&Down wrote:
trigger22 wrote:
grizz18 wrote:

Here's one....

Does that boat even float? :lol3:

As long as you have enough hp on the back a boat doesn't even have to float.
trigger22
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:28 pm

trigger22 wrote:
grizz18 wrote:

Here's one....

Thats a good looking boat.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby merg » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:20 pm

The Carolina Skiff DLX is not a wet ride. Has the step system under the bow that actually makes it one of the drier rides out there. It will beat you to death as most of the flat bottoms will.
merg
hunter

Next

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting