Youth Day Hunt.

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Youth Day Hunt.

Postby trigger22 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:24 am

We had Luke and Garrett on board with us yesterday for youth day. Both boys had duck hunted before but neither of them very much. Before the day was over with they were both certified duck hunters for life. It was a rewarding experience watching it all unfold in front of them. The level of excitement grew tremendously from the moment we left the ramp until we got back to the ramp. They both did exceptionally well and got the chance to shoot their limit of blackheads before it was all over with. I am already looking forward to taking them out again next year as well.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360513461.976352.jpg
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Re: Youth Day Hunt.

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:27 am

Can't beat that! I'd say they are hooked for life :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:35 pm

Your a good man brother

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ncbufflehead » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:24 pm

nice :thumbsup:
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:42 am

Good deal trigger :thumbsup:
Won't be long before it is time to kill some fish
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:52 am

Thanks guys. In all honesty though, I think I had more fun than the kids did. It has been one heck of an exciting year that is for sure. Having the opportunity to watch those boys get in on the action was icing on the cake.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:53 am

EastBound&Down wrote:Good deal trigger :thumbsup:

Won't be long and the blow toads will be here :banana:
trigger22
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:17 am

trigger22 wrote:

What are blo"blowtoads"?
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:46 am

wood duck commander wrote:
trigger22 wrote:

What are blo"blowtoads"?

Who did what? :huh:
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:14 pm

No who's on first...
trigger22
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:41 pm

EastBound&Down wrote:
trigger22 wrote:

What are blo"blowtoads"?

Do the who with the what now...Mr. Blow toad :huh: :huh:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:34 pm

mayhem96 wrote:
EastBound&Down wrote:
trigger22 wrote:

What are blo"blowtoads"?

Do the who with the what now...Mr. Blow toad :huh: :huh:

what's on second...
trigger22
hunter

N.C. two Youth Day Hunt's in FEB 2013.

Postby Joe Guide » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:30 pm

The 2d and the 9th I took out two groups Youth 9 and 10 yrs on Saturday the 2d. These fellows certainly saw a lot of divers but they were rafting up in super large groups, but still got some shooting and got some shooting, however when the winds died down around 0735 that 2d hindered the birds but the kids that day still got some shooting in, and the 9th was very windy.

The two 8 year olds that hunted on the 9th popped away, without damaging the population of wildfowl.

One of the 8 year olds killed a diver over the decoys- on his very first shot with a single .410, however missed his next eight shots. All enjoyed their hunts and looking forward to another day with the ducks along the coast.

regards to all who took the time and effort to take Youth out Waterfowl hunting.
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
Joe Guide
hunter

Re: N.C. two Youth Day Hunt's in FEB 2013.

Postby trigger22 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:29 pm

Joe Guide wrote:The 2d and the 9th I took out two groups Youth 9 and 10 yrs on Saturday the 2d. These fellows certainly saw a lot of divers but they were rafting up in super large groups, but still got some shooting and got some shooting, however when the winds died down around 0735 that 2d hindered the birds but the kids that day still got some shooting in, and the 9th was very windy.

The two 8 year olds that hunted on the 9th popped away, without damaging the population of wildfowl.

One of the 8 year olds killed a diver over the decoys- on his very first shot with a single .410, however missed his next eight shots. All enjoyed their hunts and looking forward to another day with the ducks along the coast.

regards to all who took the time and effort to take Youth out Waterfowl hunting.

haha, that is awesome. The boys I took definitely did their fair share of shooting no doubt. I would venture to say they shot 2 boxes of shells a piece. We put a BUNCH of birds in the decoys. It was an awesome experience, by far the best hunt of the year. I shot numerous limits this year, but none were as rewarding as that one hunt watching those two boys shoot theirs. :beer:
trigger22
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:59 am

Youth days are great, but we need more. It's a shame that youths are only allowed to hunt two days during the season. I think youths should be allowed to hunt anytime someone is willing to take them, or on their own if they are responsible. :sad:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:03 am

I agree with that 100 percent, but I don't see anywhere that states they are only allowed to hunt twice a season. They can in fact go anytime someone will take them.
trigger22
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:35 am

trigger22 wrote:I agree with that 100 percent, but I don't see anywhere that states they are only allowed to hunt twice a season. They can in fact go anytime someone will take them.

So why do they have youth days when they can hunt anytime? That is stupid. :huh: Are these youths new hunters that have never hunted before? Or, are they simply hunters with special privileges? When I was a kid we didn't have "special" days. We were considered hunters just like everyone else. In my opinion, If you can safely and responsibly handle a firearm you are an adult, not a "youth".
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:09 pm

it's just two "bonus" days that only kids 15 and under can hunt.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:51 pm

They are "bonus" days for the youth to be able to hunt. In our case, we took kids that wouldn't have otherwise gotten a chance to hunt. One of their fathers works with one of my hunting partners and doesn't duck hunt himself. The two kids and the dad tagged along with us. The kids and the dad had so much fun, the dad is going to get into duck hunting himself next year. Aside from that, the days were set the first 2 weekends of February whenever there are traditionally more ducks around which would increase the likliehood of the kids hunting whenever the birds were around and having a great hunt that would "hook" them into the sport. I think it is a good thing, but agree that they shouldn't be limited to just those days.
trigger22
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:58 pm

Trigger
Did the boys gun from the layout?
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:12 pm

They shot 2 of the birds from the layout boat the rest were shot out of a stake blind. The birds quit decoying to the blind about 930 for some reason. Picked up and deployed the layout and a dozen decoys a few hundred yards down and they finished off the limit real quick.
trigger22
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:21 am

Maybe they should have some extra "Geezer" days for us old folks. That way we can hunt without having to put up with all of the "youths" out there skybusting, rubbernecking and blowing each other all day (with calls!). :lol3:
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting