Looking for a good school

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Looking for a good school

Postby gvegas88 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:05 pm

Well its that time, i'm starting to look at colleges. I'm sure alot of you guys are state fans but that campus and location are just not for me. I'm looking for a fairly small school that has a less urbanized campus and is east of Raleigh. If you guys went to any great schools around here or would recommend any, I would appreciate it. So far i'm applying to ECU and Hampden-Sydney in VA for family reasons. Thanks
gvegas88
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:02 pm

What is your major going to be? What do you really think it will be when you get out :laughing: Its just 4(OR 8 ) years so make sure you get the correct degree for whatever you want to do long term. To put in the time short term for the long term ability to do what you want needs to factor into your thinking. Not trying to send you to NCSU just saying go where you can get the best education that will support your duck habit when you are 40.
Monroeduck
hunter

Postby gvegas88 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:44 pm

Yeah I know that a good job is nessesary to support a hunting lifestyle like the one i have now but its hard to think about practically stopping hunting for 4 whole years to get a good degree. I honestly have know idea of what i would major in, i think i am good at many things, it would be more of eliminating the not so great options and working from there. oh well
gvegas88
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:12 am

Man i remember making those same decisions. Sad to say but without having a clear cut field of study you are going to have more choices at a larger school vs. a smaller one. What about UNCW? I think ECU and UNCW would allow you to stay east and also have more majors to pick from. You could always go to UND (university of North Dakota) if you really wanted to focus on hunting. :)
Monroeduck
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:45 am

There are many "good" schools, but only one that is the best (Go PACK)! :laughing:

I'm with MD, a bigger school allows you more options. If you are inclined in the science/engineering field, you really have no choice but NC State. If you're more into the business/accounting/economics type stuff, then ECU and UNCW are your best bets.
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby diverduck » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:00 am

Go to Wayne Community in Goldsboro and get a career in Forestry. You will love it.
diverduck
hunter

Postby uncduckman » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:04 am

Go to a big school the last thing you will think about is hunting.. Go to the best school you can get in. (we all know why state is full) j/k.
In real life people do care what school you graduated from.
You have the rest of your life to hunt.

I went to NC Wesleyan to play baseball and the small school thing SUCKED. Transfered to UNC the best years of my life no doubt. Met my wife, met some my duck hunting partners (some of us bought an impoundment together), met business partners and got one kick ass Job. You will get plenty of time on Christmas break to kill ducks. Plus as you get to be an upper classman you can set your classes so that you can hunt more.

If state is the BEST school you can get in then go to State you will not regret it. (Unless you don't major in engineering and apply for the same job a UNC grad is applying for). :umm: Also Don't go to an all guys school (State is close enough).
uncduckman
hunter

Postby DarkThirty Killer » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:28 am

Hey diver duck, I graduated from Wayne in 98, in poultry and livestock science. I f you do not like the "campus"scene, then you could do like I'm doing. Wife got a good job in Knoxville, so I'm taking advantage of the situation, and going to a community college, to take the courses that I needed, that did not already transfer from my associates degree, and also to get all of the "grunt" classes out of the way. I will start the university of Tenn in the fall of 07 as a junior, and get a wildlife and fisheries B.S. I know, I know, its not NCSU, but I gotta take the cards that were dealt to me.
There is no such thing as a cripple being too close!!! If so, you might never see it again. I'm not going to take that chance!!!
DarkThirty Killer
hunter

Postby diverduck » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:47 am

dark thirty, I graduaerd in 01' and I really enjoyed my time there. Went two years got a great job and and am very satisified with my education. Very nice school but some prefer to go 4 years. To each his own. It is a good idea to go and get your basic to classes and then transfer. But the main point is to go and do something you will enjoy.
diverduck
hunter

Postby Team Duckman » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:55 am

Elizabeth City State

I know a couple folks who have BS degrees in Marine Environmental Science from there.

You can get a job with a mulitude of State and Federal agencies (Corps of Engineers, NC Marine Fisheries, NC Coastal Mgmt, etc, etc, etc) with that degree and still be able to enjoy the outdoors, at work and during your off time.
Team Duckman
hunter

Postby gvegas88 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:41 pm

well dang, thanks for all the input i'll definatly consider it. I'm still leaning more towards a smaller school because I hear i'll make better grades and i really don't want to drive to class everyday if i could walk to all of them at a small school. And Diverduck, I'm workin with a forester for my senior project and trying to learn the trade. could he be you?? I still don't know what I would go into other than its NOT history, english, biology,chemistry or some advanced math :thumbsdown: . I mean I like agriculture and environmental science and physical work but its got to be somethin to gimmi a nice cash flow (timber cruiser :thumbsup: ).
gvegas88
hunter

schools

Postby greenheadguy » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:46 pm

I really want to go to ECU just because its a half decent school and its close to all of my duck hunting spots and my house, but if i get in i think i'll go to NC state.
greenheadguy
hunter

Postby diverduck » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:10 pm

No it is not me but if I can be of any help let me know. Crusing timber is good money if you work for the right company but it is hard work. If you are into fire fighting working for state may be the way to go. The pay is not bad and being able to hunt (comp time) is good.
diverduck
hunter

Postby lil' john » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:08 am

I went to NC Wesleyan which is a samll private school in Rocky Mount where i'm from - commuted everyday.
Was ok and did get to hunt pretty much everyday but trust me - go to a larger school - the 4 years in college is more important than hunting. Went to NC State for 1st semester - had a wonderful time. Unfortunately, the professors don't give academic credit for partying. Transferred to Wesleyan and got my degree from there with decent grades. If i had known then what i know now, would have stayed at State and got my head screwed on straight and studied more.
Going to larger university is going to expose you to many things that will help you down the road - friendships, future business contacts, etc.
Additionally, you will have more options for your degree choice.
Whatever you decide, good luck and remember to look at the books occasionally and try to find out where the classes are the first semester.
Whatever you do, do not, DO NOT go into criminal justice unless you are going to persue a law degree. Find a career field you will be able to make a living at.
"EVERYONE MUST BELIEVE IN SOMETHING....I BELIEVE IT'S TIME TO TAKE A DRINK"
lil' john
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting