Saltwater

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Saltwater

Postby wood duck commander » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:14 pm

What kind of duck can you kill around saltwater marshes.I have never hunted any.
wood duck commander
hunter

Re: Saltwater

Postby trigger22 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:09 pm

Here's a list of species that I have killed around salt water marshes.....wood duck, black duck, redhead, blackhead, bufflehead, pintail, mallard, scoters, teal, wigeon, and ringneck, as well as geese and plenty of fish ducks
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:21 pm

any thing with wings
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:07 pm

None, there are no ducks in or around salt water. Stay in the swamps, that is were the ducks are! :yes:
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:11 pm

I will have to check it out. But will have to work on my duck ID skills with that much diversity.
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby saltnbattery » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:02 pm

If you're around Wilmington, all you need to be able to Id are mergansers, cormorants, and seagulls...
saltnbattery
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:36 pm

saltnbattery wrote:If you're around Wilmington, all you need to be able to Id are mergansers, cormorants, and seagulls...

I am close to wilmington and i know the other two but what are cormorants?
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:32 pm

wood duck commander wrote:
saltnbattery wrote:If you're around Wilmington, all you need to be able to Id are mergansers, cormorants, and seagulls...

Water Turkeys
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:57 pm

PungoShoresOutdoors wrote:

Water Turkeys

Are they good to eat ?
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:01 pm

Delicious....
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby Technician » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:54 am

yall gona have this kid limiting on black ducks in no time
Technician
hunter

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:47 am

Whats wrong with a limit of black duck?
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter

Postby saltnbattery » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:28 pm

...google cormorant. They fall into the "better know what you're pulling the trigger on before you pull it" category. Just like a greeb, illegal to shoot but I would bet a lot of them fall to new hunters who think it's a "big duck". If you don know how to blow a call, but try anyway, and something comes into your spread, chances are its illegal to shoot.
saltnbattery
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:32 pm

What are marsh hens?
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby Technician » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:41 pm

marsh hens are also known as rails, google it. I all too often have to listen to people high ballin "black ducks" constantly and occasionally see one get dusted that unluckily flies too close. Cormorants I believe is their scientific name.
Technician
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:30 pm

I did. That looks like some fun hunting.
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:37 pm

Dingbatter wrote:None, there are no ducks in or around salt water. Stay in the swamps, that is were the ducks are! :yes:

Exactly- best advice ever. :thumbsup:
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:52 am

bigsprig wrote:
Dingbatter wrote:None, there are no ducks in or around salt water. Stay in the swamps, that is were the ducks are! :yes:

Dude I live in brunswick county. I grew up at Ocean Isle.Still own the house there.But When it got to the point where i would get checked by the game warden when I was launching.The marine patrol a mile up the water way.The coat guard 2 miles in and then another game warden in a boat when I was fishing. Then if they changed shifts before I headed back it would start all over again.
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:36 pm

bigsprig wrote:

Dude I live in brunswick county. I grew up at Ocean Isle.Still own the house there.But When it got to the point where i would get checked by the game warden when I was launching.The marine patrol a mile up the water way.The coat guard 2 miles in and then another game warden in a boat when I was fishing. Then if they changed shifts before I headed back it would start all over again.

You forgot the Sunset Beach Police Dept, they have been known to issue tickets to duck hunters too. I saw an article in the "Brunswick Beacon" where some old yankee who was a "retied attorney & author" was complaining about duck hunters waking him and his wife up in the mornings. For some reason he thought that since he was a "retired attorney and an author" from the northeast that duck hunting should be stopped in the area, what a jackass!
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby grim reaper » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:22 pm

saltnbattery wrote:...google cormorant. They fall into the "better know what you're pulling the trigger on before you pull it" category. Just like a greeb, illegal to shoot but I would bet a lot of them fall to new hunters who think it's a "big duck". If you don know how to blow a call, but try anyway, and something comes into your spread, chances are its illegal to shoot.

I thought the season was open on mlk day?
grim reaper
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:10 pm

greeb? :lol: aka Grebe- aka $1000 each if caught in possession last time I checked.

I love how helpful we all are on this forum. :no: :no:

Young man (person?) that started this posting- please purchase and read some good duck hunting books, join a local waterfowl group like Delta Waterfowl or that other big one that does little for us here in Atlantic Flyway except take our money, then get a copy of Ducks Geese and Swans of North America or some other bird guide, and for future reference never call yourself any type of "commander" on this forum and take that Salt Life sticker off your Z-71.

Just saying!
:hammer:
:hi:
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:22 pm

Dingbatter wrote:
bigsprig wrote:

You forgot the Sunset Beach Police Dept, they have been known to issue tickets to duck hunters too. I saw an article in the "Brunswick Beacon" where some old yankee who was a "retied attorney & author" was complaining about duck hunters waking him and his wife up in the mornings. For some reason he thought that since he was a "retired attorney and an author" from the northeast that duck hunting should be stopped in the area, what a jackass!

More like the sunset beach Security guards. Calling them police would be like calling the Cub Scouts Marines.
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:23 pm

bigsprig wrote:greeb? :lol: aka Grebe- aka $1000 each if caught in possession last time I checked.

Young man (person?) that started this posting- please purchase and read some good duck hunting books, join a local waterfowl group like Delta Waterfowl or that other big one that does little for us here in Atlantic Flyway except take our money, then get a copy of Ducks Geese and Swans of North America or some other bird guide, and for future reference never call yourself any type of "commander" on this forum and take that Salt Life sticker off your Z-71.

Just saying!
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:29 pm

bigsprig wrote:greeb? :lol: aka Grebe- aka $1000 each if caught in possession last time I checked.

Ly

Just saying!

Look I'm 40 years old.Thanks for your help.I chose wood duck commander as a joke.I have been duck hunting since way before the Robertsons were on TV.I just Learned at an early age to avoid salt water because of the before said problems.
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:40 pm

Ly

Just saying!

Look I'm 40 years old.Thanks for your help.I chose wood duck commander as a joke.I have been duck hunting since way before the Robertsons were on TV.I just Learned at an early age to avoid salt water because of the before said problems.

Salt water is bad, stay off & away. It causes everything to rust, including your aluminumn boat ( oxidaition) it eats up the finish on your gun and gear, awful on shells. Stay away from salt water swamps are better. I mean who eats those nasty divers and sea duck, surely not me. Sea ducks, yuck!
Dingbatter
hunter

Next

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting