Saltwater

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Re: Saltwater

Postby wood duck commander » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:00 pm

Wow. I didn't realize that stuff was so corrosive. Will I need special waders?
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:14 pm

Oh yeah I forgot about that, its bad on waders too. Take my word for it, bad bad bad :yes:
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:00 pm

"Salt water is bad, stay off & away. It causes everything to rust, including your aluminumn boat ( oxidaition) it eats up the finish on your gun and gear, awful on shells. Stay away from salt water swamps are better. I mean who eats those nasty divers and sea duck, surely not me. Sea ducks, yuck!"

Eat sea ducks? WHAT? Next thing you know somebody will say you can eat coots- what is the world coming to?
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:35 pm

Well can you take the salt out of the water some how?I mean this stuff must be costing duck hunters 100,000,000,s of $s a year!
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:04 am

Yeah we always carry a 100 pound bag of lime with us and dump it out in a big circle before we set out our decoys. If you can afford it spray all of your gear with salt x before it touches the water as well and it will repel the salt.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby fowlhntr » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:32 am

So thats what those guys were doing.Pouring out those 100 lb. sacks of LIME!!!!! :eek: :yes: :bow:
fowlhntr
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:57 am

You will need a 55 gallon drum of bug spray and a big flat shovel too. The spray won't help much, but at least it will make you think you are doing something. The shovel makes a good "skeeter swatter". A couple of good whacks and it's sure to break a wing or maybe one of their legs. :hammer:

Oh, they are good eat'n too. We steam up the legs with plenty of butter. I've seen them on the menu at the local restaurants. They call them "snow crab legs" so the tourists will eat them. :lol3:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:11 am

Dingbatter 2 wrote:You will need a 55 gallon drum of bug spray and a big flat shovel too. The spray won't help much, but at least it will make you think you are doing something. The shovel makes a good "skeeter swatter". A couple of good whacks and it's sure to break a wing or maybe one of their legs. :hammer:

Oh, they are good eat'n too. We steam up the legs with plenty of butter. I've seen them on the menu at the local restaurants. They call them "snow crab legs" so the tourists will eat them. :lol3:

:lol:
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:01 am

Dingbatter 2 wrote:You will need a 55 gallon drum of bug spray and a big flat shovel too. The spray won't help much, but at least it will make you think you are doing something. The shovel makes a good "skeeter swatter". A couple of good whacks and it's sure to break a wing or maybe one of their legs. :hammer:

:bow: :bow: :beer:
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:18 pm

What is in the bug spray that gets rid of the salt? And is that good for the enviroment ?
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:36 pm

Deet and it is not only great for the environment it also tastes good on grilled cormorant
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:25 pm

I bet it would go good on some "Salters favorite" loon steaks. Hard to beat a good loon steak.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:03 pm

Can you use deet and lime together ?
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:07 pm

Yes that is the best way. You will have some residual leftover lime. Take your deet spray and spray it all over your face and then get a handful of lime and rub it in real good. It will repel skeeters and serve as face paint but looks better than the cheap stuff the duck commander wears.
trigger22
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:44 pm

You guys are mean!
Last edited by wood duck commander on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:54 am

In that case you might want to use more lime, to get more of a green camo effect. Green and Black would make a good camo pattern. Don't worry about reapplying cause it is a one time and done treatment. :hi:
bigsprig
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:50 pm

Never tried lime, I like Sulfur. It has a nice olive drab color to it that I use as face paint
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:28 pm

Man don't try it that stuff is toxic!
Last edited by wood duck commander on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:29 pm

Man you guys are awful !
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:38 pm

trigger22 wrote:Delicious....

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just need a high-five.