Big water or back water?

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Big water or back water?

Postby THIN MAN » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:26 pm

What does everyone prefer to hunt, big water or back water?

As for myself, I don't have a definate preference yet. I've hunted both and enjoy the diffrent aspects of each. Not looking for spots here guys just curious.

THIN MAN
For we were born yesterday,and know nothing,
because our days on earth are only a shadow.

JOB 8:9
THIN MAN
hunter

Postby gvegas88 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:39 pm

Back water for me, only because I am not equipped to take on big water but I have hunted big water and loved it.
gvegas88
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:49 pm

back water if you can get to it without pressure.

Granted for sea ducks it is big water and I enjoy the heck out of that.
Monroeduck
hunter

Postby DarkThirty Killer » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:56 pm

big water! If nothing else I tend to see more ducks and when ducks come by close, alot of times they are lower and will swing back for a better look. I like the open water on alot of the lakes, because it seems ducks get used to hunters in the backwater, and will investigate dekes on the edge of big water. Also more opportunity for a mixed bag, its not a guarantee, but I don't think buffleheads will be circling the timber. :mrgreen:
There is no such thing as a cripple being too close!!! If so, you might never see it again. I'm not going to take that chance!!!
DarkThirty Killer
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:00 pm

I like backwater. I have a 14 ft jon boat and a 1973 short shaft 9.5 hp that can get us in some shallow stuff. Hence the name stumpjumper. And if it`s to shallow I will get out and pull the thing. Alot of guys around where I hunt laugh at my little boat. They don`t laugh when I come back to the docks with birds in the boat. :thumbsup: Besides the backwater seems to get less pressure. Not enough room for more than 1 boat.
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Duck U 2 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:06 am

I like big water when the ducks are really in, but I also like back water when the ducks are in. I guess after hunting swamps alot, it's a real treat to go down to the coast and hunt large open areas. You typically see more ducks.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby diverduck » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:09 am

BIG WATER, I didn't know there was anything elece.
diverduck
hunter

Postby Yellowdog38 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:00 pm

Big Water I like to have a couple of swamp hunts each year, but it can't compare to the sound.
Yellowdog38
hunter

Postby fish&fowl loco » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:56 pm

I like both , you need more decoys for big water

The most important thing is to know when to hunt small or big water and weather plays a big role.
If mergansers were pintails I would be a happy man
fish&fowl loco
hunter

back and big

Postby greenheadguy » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:03 pm

it all depend on what im going for but my favorite to hunt is backwater creeks and rivers , i love the sound of woodies or mallards coming up the creek.
greenheadguy
hunter

Postby pamlicohunter » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:08 pm

To me there is nothing that gets the blood boiling more than to see 30 to 50 bluebills dive bomb your spread, but a locked up flock of mallards in the trees are hard to beat. Most of my early season is done in the swamps and the late season is done in the big water.
pamlicohunter
hunter

Postby NCSUDucker » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:46 pm

I don't discrimnate....but there is something about watching those divers roll in :salude: so you can drop the :hammering: ...dang thats a fun smiley

Ducker
A good friend will bail you out of jail...A TRUE friend will say, "Damn that was fun!"
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Whompus Cat » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:07 pm

im in the same boat with stump jumper except smaller, i hope to get into a few good holes this year that cant be reached by foot or a boat larger than 14 feet, but will definatly hit the divers in janurary
Whompus Cat
Membership permanently suspended

Postby deepriver » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:21 pm

were the ducks are at is were I like to hunt.
deepriver
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:50 am

back water all the way... greenheads with them orange legs down dropping right in you face, teal buzzing through looping around and coming right in, ringnecks coming in like a 747, cant beat it
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting