Sunday Hunting Bill Introduced

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Sunday Hunting Bill Introduced

Postby wahoowilly » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:35 pm

Seeing some stuff about it on other boards. What y'all think?
wahoowilly
hunter

Re: Sunday Hunting Bill Introduced

Postby peter lates etheridge » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:47 pm

saving turtles,and terps, killing babies ,bannining gill nets, got the lottery still need money to build schools , hake it is what it politics :huh:
peter lates etheridge
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:47 pm

Hopefully change is coming. It is long overdue. Needs to be wide open and not just private lands though.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby wood duck commander » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:11 pm

All for it.
wood duck commander
hunter

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:57 pm

I wouldnt mind it at all. For most, sat and sun are the only days people get to hunt, I know I would get to go a lot more.
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:51 pm

if it's only for private land, they can keep it.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby berettaarms92 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:51 pm

I am for it, but I'm not sure that I would take advantage of it as much as others. Working on a farm the hours are sun up to sun down, unless I go duck hunting and wake up even earlier, then go to work, it gets very tiring. I would love an extra day to hunt, which I would take advantage of some, but it sure is nice to lay in bed all morning until church at 11:00! Anyway, check some of these reasons to not pass the bill this guy has come up with. I got a chuckle out of a couple!

http://www.mccleesconsulting.com/sunday ... rolina.htm
berettaarms92
hunter

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:16 am

berettaarms92 wrote:I am for it, but I'm not sure that I would take advantage of it as much as others. Working on a farm the hours are sun up to sun down, unless I go duck hunting and wake up even earlier, then go to work, it gets very tiring. I would love an extra day to hunt, which I would take advantage of some, but it sure is nice to lay in bed all morning until church at 11:00! Anyway, check some of these reasons to not pass the bill this guy has come up with. I got a chuckle out of a couple!

http://www.mccleesconsulting.com/sunday ... rolina.htm

I love how he makes it sound like sunday is the only day people can enjoy the outdoors without fear of being shot by hunters. :no:

Many wives are against sunday hunting :lol3: Im sure if you asked them most of them would support a saturday ban on hunting as well!
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter

Postby Redheadprostaff » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:52 am

Dont agree with it at all, every animal deserves a day of rest. Part of respecting what you kill kinda thing. You folks think duck hunting pressure is bad now just wait. I think there is a reason that we havent adopted it in the past because of hunting pressure. I feel we are being to greedy now days. Used to in the early 80's the seasons were only a week or two long and folks complained then. Now we have several splits that are from a week to a month long and folks still complain. When this issue was big a few years ago and Ted Nugent spoke at the Dixie Deer Classic about it he had more than a few folks get up and walk out on him. He knew he wasnt in Michigan anymore. So I know im not the only one that feels this way. I dont know about the bigger part of folks on this board but church and with my family is where I'll be on Sundays. Sorry to offend if I have but I was raised to never hunt on Sundays and I intend to keep it that way.
Grassy Island Crew
Duck hunting long before IT WAS THE COOL THING TO DO AND "THE DUCK COMMANDER" !!!
Redheadprostaff
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:27 am

Redheadprostaff wrote:Dont agree with it at all, every animal deserves a day of rest. Part of respecting what you kill kinda thing. You folks think duck hunting pressure is bad now just wait. I think there is a reason that we havent adopted it in the past because of hunting pressure. I feel we are being to greedy now days. Used to in the early 80's the seasons were only a week or two long and folks complained then. Now we have several splits that are from a week to a month long and folks still complain. When this issue was big a few years ago and Ted Nugent spoke at the Dixie Deer Classic about it he had more than a few folks get up and walk out on him. He knew he wasnt in Michigan anymore. So I know im not the only one that feels this way. I dont know about the bigger part of folks on this board but church and with my family is where I'll be on Sundays. Sorry to offend if I have but I was raised to never hunt on Sundays and I intend to keep it that way.

That is good and all, but that is also your choice. My choice would be hunt on Sundays if I could (Probably not all of them, but some). I agree that the animals need a day of rest, but why not make that day Wednesday when everyone is at work? In KY, there are several public areas that are closed on Monday and Tuesday but open the rest of the week. That gives the birds the rest they need and allows people to hunt Wednesday-Sunday. When people have to work Monday-Friday or even Monday-Saturday they should be afforded the opportunity to be able to hunt on Sunday if they choose to do so.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:20 am

Also, since were only allowed a 60 day season, its not like there are more days the birds are hunted, just gives more people an opportunity to hunt on weekends. Season would be shorter unless they decided to close hunting on another day. I would imagine most public impounds would only allow hunting on saturday or sunday, not both IF it were made into a public land thing.
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:26 pm

In the WRC impoundments, the birds are given 5 days (actually 6, because you can only hunt a half day on the hunting days) of rest EVERY week, and that would not change under this bill. The birds in public waters would also still get their day of rest, because you won't be able to shoot anything on Sunday, unless it's private property, either owned, leased, or with written permission. What will happen is that the big boyz with all the bucks will get the full season they and the rest of us now enjoy, and the rest of us will get 9-10 days less (more rest for the birds). Oh...and there will be 2-3 fewer draw hunt days, too, further increasing the days of rest for the poor, over pressured birds.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby Splashin' Divers » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:42 pm

I like the idea of Sunday hunting. I think they should ban hunting on Saturday! Would make a lot less pressure on the birds for the week day hunters!
Splashin' Divers
hunter

Postby tsmart » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:49 pm

Redheadprostaff wrote:every animal deserves a day of rest.

Most animals rest S-F while everyone is at work.
Me thinks 6 days per week in enough rest.

PungoShoresOutdoors wrote:Season would be shorter

No, it would still be 6o days long.

T.
Free Pillowcasr & Whompus Cat !
tsmart
hunter

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:10 pm

tsmart wrote:
Redheadprostaff wrote:every animal deserves a day of rest.

Most animals rest S-F while everyone is at work.
Me thinks 6 days per week in enough rest.

T.

Yea, I know, what I meant is that if they keep the splits the way they are, it will be over earlier because of the 9 or so sundays would eat up the days faster.
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:30 pm

Redheadprostaff wrote:Dont agree with it at all, every animal deserves a day of rest. Part of respecting what you kill kinda thing. You folks think duck hunting pressure is bad now just wait. I think there is a reason that we havent adopted it in the past because of hunting pressure. I feel we are being to greedy now days. Used to in the early 80's the seasons were only a week or two long and folks complained then. Now we have several splits that are from a week to a month long and folks still complain. When this issue was big a few years ago and Ted Nugent spoke at the Dixie Deer Classic about it he had more than a few folks get up and walk out on him. He knew he wasnt in Michigan anymore. So I know im not the only one that feels this way. I dont know about the bigger part of folks on this board but church and with my family is where I'll be on Sundays. Sorry to offend if I have but I was raised to never hunt on Sundays and I intend to keep it that way.

100 % agree, leave the season structure as it is.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:55 pm

tsmart wrote:

T.

still 60 days but they won't be stretched out over as long of a period time. and those of us that do not hunt private land will lose hunting days.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:05 pm

We really don't know how many days we are getting, it can change every year depending on conditions on the breeding grounds. Don't think that a 60 day season will last forever, it may be cut back to 30 or 45 if conditions get real bad like in the 80's.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:19 pm

I would like to have the choice to hunt on Sunday... not sure if I would a lot. But I still would like the choice, so I am for it.
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:59 pm

I'm for it. If you can kill things with scales on a Sunday, why not things with feathers or fur? I've never heard of anyone worrying about giving fish a day of rest. :wink: If you don't like it then don't participate. No one is forcing you to do anything. It's called individual choice.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:44 pm

Dingbatter wrote:We really don't know how many days we are getting, it can change every year depending on conditions on the breeding grounds. Don't think that a 60 day season will last forever, it may be cut back to 30 or 45 if conditions get real bad like in the 80's.

even if it's only 10 day season, those of us that do not hunt on private land will not have as long of a season as those that do
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:42 am

ncbufflehead wrote:
Dingbatter wrote:We really don't know how many days we are getting, it can change every year depending on conditions on the breeding grounds. Don't think that a 60 day season will last forever, it may be cut back to 30 or 45 if conditions get real bad like in the 80's.

even if it's only 10 day season, those of us that do not hunt on private land will not have as long of a season as those that do

Bingo!
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:50 am

Just to stir the pot, what about hunting from a "private" blind in public waters? According to some local laws, private blinds have a certain distance around them that is closed to hunting except by the blind owner. How would that be interpreted? :hammer:

...or, hunting from a blind located on private property next to public waters?
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:26 am

Number of days will be the same. Splits may change some but you will not lose days. With enough opposition they may exclude waterfowl hunting (all migratory birds?) from Sunday hunting. But right now you cannot hunt on Sundays at all! For those that only hunt public lands (waters?) why do you care what happens on private lands? You couldn't hunt it without permission anyway, regardless of whether it was a Sunday or any other day. :huh:
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby johnpaul » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:46 am

If Sundays are included in the 60 days and can only be hunted on private lands then us public land guys will loose those 9 or so sundays so our days will be limited to 51 days of hunting.

I have mixed fillings and most likly could make it work. I would go with a guide or paid private imp hunt and local swamps on sudays and then public land during the week. I imaging they will exclude Migratory birds when its all said and done.
johnpaul
hunter

Next

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting