good deals on decoys

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

good deals on decoys

Postby stealfeathers » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:44 pm

Where do yal find the better deals on decoys online or in stores??

I usually buy decoys used off craigslist. I figured there would be a bunch on there about this time with all guys tryin out duck hunting for the first time this year......

If i have to buy new/online i guess i will, but if yal know anybody thinning out their spread pm me.

Thanks in advance
stealfeathers
hunter

Re: good deals on decoys

Postby wanapasaki » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:02 pm

Still waiting on bass pro and cabelas to have their end of season fowl sale, but you can get some sweet deals on there. Keep an eye on those two
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:10 pm

Ive checked cabelas a few times but wasnt aware they had a sale every year. Thank you saki
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:14 pm

Depending on where you are located, your local stores will run sales around Christmas time. I know Neuse Sports Shop and Springhill Outfitters do these sales to make room for spring merchandise.
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:16 pm

Got a sale paper from Rogers Sporting Goods today for a spring closeout sale. Some duck & goose decoys at good prices, free shipping on certain ones.

www.RogersSportingGoods.com
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:28 am

Thanks dingbatter. Taxidermist, i have never seen any good sales at nuese even when things are on sale. I think they try to take advantage of being the only hunting store in the area. Shells are ridiculous there as well.
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby TCH » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:08 am

I have never been a big fan of Neuse either although I do like their bow techs. Macks prairie wings has free shipping on orders over $150 right now. The websites you can find decoys for less than others usually make up the cheaper prices with high shipping costs from my experience.
TCH
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:19 am

I don't need any more decoys, but over the years I've thinned out the trash and bought better quality decoys. Looking back I think of the money I wasted buying cheap imported chinese crap being pushed by the main outdoor box stores. Save your money and buy G&H or something of similar quality. With reasonable care they will last you for many years. I mean, if your going to buy decoys, buy the best you can afford. Sometimes just because they have a "crap sale" doesn't mean your getting a good deal. You're just buying crap at a lower price. :lol3:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:31 pm

Had a buddy go pick up a gun at academy today, he called and told me game winner decoys were on clearance. I had him pick me up 2 dozen blue wings for 15 bucks a dozen. I dont know their quality but figured id try em being how cheap. Anybody know the quality?
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby Doubleplay » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:39 am

stealfeathers wrote:Had a buddy go pick up a gun at academy today, he called and told me game winner decoys were on clearance. I had him pick me up 2 dozen blue wings for 15 bucks a dozen. I dont know their quality but figured id try em being how cheap. Anybody know the quality?

Read the post above yours^^^^^
Doubleplay
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:21 am

Well i have ghg blue wing teal and all the paint chipped off the drakes. i also have ghg b.b's and they had to be repainted So according to me ghg isnt high quality. I still like their decoys, and they look good as far as their mold.
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:43 am

stealfeathers wrote:Well i have ghg blue wing teal and all the paint chipped off the drakes. i also have ghg b.b's and they had to be repainted So according to me ghg isnt high quality. I still like their decoys, and they look good as far as their mold.

BIG difference between G&H (American made) and GHG (cheap China made)
2 totally different companies
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:25 pm

stealfeathers wrote:Well i have ghg blue wing teal and all the paint chipped off the drakes. i also have ghg b.b's and they had to be repainted So according to me ghg isnt high quality. I still like their decoys, and they look good as far as their mold.

You're right GHG isn't quality. They are Chinese made crap. G&H on the other hand is US made quality.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby wampmagooder » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:56 am

I really liked their herters. Hate they quit making them
wampmagooder
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:37 pm

wampmagooder wrote:I really liked their herters. Hate they quit making them

They were great decoys, they stopped making them due to everyone buying Green Head Garbage
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby pelletslinger25 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:58 pm

Ill keep my eyes posted for when those FA HD Gunner series u got go back on sale. I seperated my deeks lastnight and noticed those game winners i got as a gift, the side walls of the deeks are really week. 2 drake mallards were cracked and junked. But all those FA mallards i baught are heavier duty and look new. i just dont like the hens, the drakes look good though. the HD Gunners look way better. i think im gonna keep getting those. ill just slowly replace the beatup deeks with the FA HD Gunners.
pelletslinger25
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting