Silencers Legal For Hunting

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Silencers Legal For Hunting

Postby ibedamn » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:15 am

Last week, state Senator Shirley Randleman (R-30) introduced Senate Bill 201, which would allow for the use of lawfully-possessed suppressors while hunting. This pro-hunting reform is important to help protect hunters from hearing loss while hunting. It will also help to reduce noise complaints during hunting season. S201 has been referred to the Senate Committee on Agriculture/Environment/Natural Resources, and while it has not been scheduled for a hearing at this time, it may be taken up very soon.

What do yall think?
ibedamn
hunter

Re: Silencers Legal For Hunting

Postby Redheadprostaff » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:31 am

Sounds like a winner to me, Ive been killing doe's for years with a 22lr and it tends to be pretty quiet. Nice to know it may be possible to screw on my can to pop one with. Might make the other ones stick around so I can bag another one. Just keep in mind alot of weapons when using a can lose quite a bit of FPS therefore the possiblilty of cripples using small calibers is very possible. Make sure of shot placement. The cans for larger bore rifles are still quite noticibly loud. Might as well be shooting a 22 without a suppressor.
Grassy Island Crew
Duck hunting long before IT WAS THE COOL THING TO DO AND "THE DUCK COMMANDER" !!!
Redheadprostaff
hunter

Postby Bloke » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:17 am

Lawfully possessed suppressors are so expensive that I do not think this would impact 90% of us. There is a $200 fee on top of whatever the silencer itself costs. Find a class 3 dealer, put a big red X on your self to the local law enforcement and fed. :hi: Doesn't sound very appealing to me. I am all for it if they want to pass it but there is no way I would take advantage of it. Some light reading in regards to obtaining a "legal" suppressor. http://www.silencerresearch.com/Silencerguide.pdf
Make sure their toe nails are wet
Bloke
hunter

Postby sampsonhuntin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:27 am

So can we shoot early without getting caught now?
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby daveusa99 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:04 pm

While I would love to see this, I am sure NC Fish & Game will have issues with it as they can't locate and find poachers as easy if this were allowable. They are sure to make that case. I hope they are over ridden but I would think they would be able to make a convincing enough argument to push it. For those interested in obtaining a suppressor (its not called silencer to the BATF) the best way is with a gun trust which you can find online for like $45. Without a trust, if ANYONE has your suppressor even your wife when you are not home, they can be arrested. However, with a gun trust you can add your wife and family members under it and they are all legal to possess it with a stamp of course. Plus the trust allows you to leave it to your kids, without it you cannot. Wait times to get one are estimated between 9-12 months. Just something to think about.

A suppressor would indeed solve the "waking up the neighbors" problem while duck hunting.
daveusa99
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:24 pm

I don't know of anyone that makes a suppressed hunting shotgun, or a suppressor that would work on a standard hunting type shotgun. I was told a couple years back that Remington was working on it. I'm not sure how it would work on a shotgun...it looks like it would be so big you couldn't see over it. Nice to have if it did work.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:31 pm

ibedamn wrote:I don't know of anyone that makes a suppressed hunting shotgun, or a suppressor that would work on a standard hunting type shotgun. I was told a couple years back that Remington was working on it. I'm not sure how it would work on a shotgun...it looks like it would be so big you couldn't see over it. Nice to have if it did work.

I can see everyone walking through the marsh with shotguns like on "No Country for Old Men." :lol3: Can you imagine the public impounds? Birds of all sorts would be falling out of the skies a half hour before shooting time with no shots heard.
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:41 am

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2012/1 ... -of-quiet/

They are called urban shotguns. There was an article in DU years ago on them for shooting geese in metro areas.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:16 pm

gooosehunter wrote:http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2012/11/06/long-ass-shotgun-suppressor-32-inches-of-quiet/

They are called urban shotguns. There was an article in DU years ago on them for shooting geese in metro areas.

I remember reading about that. But, I'm not sure you would consider that gun to be a suppressed firearm like the ones I am familiar with. It would be fun to try it.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:25 am

I can see it now. On full moons we can hunt at night, shoot birds wayyyy before daylight, shoot birds wayyy after dark...... shoot deer on the side of the road any time...... :thumbsup: :beer: and shoot game wardens any time they check us! :clapping:

The downfall.........we wouldn't wake up angry lake owners at 6am when we're blasting pier mallards in front of their docks :fingerhead: I kinda like being yelled at! Not being screamed at while duck hunting on high rock just wouldn't feel right to me :sad:
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:42 am

A nitrogen cooled suppressor would do the trick. As I understand it the teams are developing this technology now.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby puppypopper » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:51 pm

The took the hunting out of the bill.

Here is the link to the new bill.

http://www.ncleg.net/Applications/BillL ... 5&SeqNum=0

Here is what the origianl bill did say.

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED 1
AN ACT TO ALLOW HUNTING WITH A SILENCER OR OTHER DEVICE DESIGNED 2 TO MUFFLE OR MINIMIZE THE REPORT OF A FIREARM. 3
The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts: 4
SECTION 1. G.S. 113-291.1(c) reads as rewritten: 5
"(c) It is a Class 1 misdemeanor for any person taking wildlife to have in his possession 6 any: 7
(1) Firearm equipped with a silencer or any device designed to silence, muffle, 8 or minimize the report of the firearm. The firearm is considered equipped 9 with the silencer or device whether it is attached to the firearm or separate 10 but reasonably accessible for attachment during the taking of the wildlife. 11
(2) Weapon of mass death and destruction as defined in G.S. 14-288.8. 12
The Wildlife Resources Commission may prohibit individuals training dogs or taking 13 particular species from carrying axes, saws, tree-climbing equipment, and other implements 14 that may facilitate the unlawful taking of wildlife, except tree-climbing equipment may be 15 carried and used by persons lawfully taking raccoons and opossums during open season." 16
SECTION 2. This act is effective when it becomes law. 17
FILED SENATE
Mar 5, 2013
S.B. 201
PRINCIPAL CLERK
puppypopper
hunter

Postby goderick » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:05 pm

Silencers make hunting easier on the ears, but some control control groups ... “These devices are already legal for hunting exotic animals, ...
Was it only by dreaming a assisted knives that I could find out what I thought?
Joan Didion
goderick
Newb

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting