Hello

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Hello

Postby LaserCougar » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:30 am

Hey all, my fiance and I are considering a move from the west side of Michigan to North Carolina after we are married in August.. I've become an avid duck hunter over the past few years and would love some input & suggestions as to the duck hunting climate in NC. I don't want to know your favorite spot but any general information such as hunting pressure, local and state land opportunities, duck numbers coastal vs inland? Field hunting success? Management units (duck bingo)?

Cheers,

Anthony
LaserCougar
Newb

Re: Hello

Postby Willie » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:37 pm

You'll be severely disappointed in the hunting here compared to what you have up north.
Willie
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:24 pm

LaserCougar wrote: I don't want to know your favorite spot but any general information such as hunting pressure, local and state land opportunities, duck numbers coastal vs inland? Field hunting success? Management units (duck bingo)?

Cheers,

Anthony

Hunting pressure: high, probably get worse when Sunday hunting is allowed.

Local / State land opportunities: public land is over crowded with to many hunters who have to few of places to hunt due to increasing lease rates for private land. This will probably get worse when Sunday hunting is allowed.

Field hunting success: Low due to excessive pressure on birds on public land and waters, this will probably get worse when Sunday hunting is allowed

Management units: I don't know what this is, but from what I have posted above you probably get the picture.

Oh btw we do not allow hunting on Sunday, at least as of right now.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:59 pm

I hunt locally in NC for fun
I travel out of state to kill ducks
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:33 pm

Welcome to NC. Since you evidently need a place to live, and like to duck hunt, this would make a great wedding present from the inlaws. :thumbsup:

http://www.nclandandfarms.com/nc-land-f ... ub-f.shtml
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby LaserCougar » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:11 am

Dingbatter 2 wrote:Welcome to NC. Since you evidently need a place to live, and like to duck hunt, this would make a great wedding present from the inlaws. :thumbsup:

http://www.nclandandfarms.com/nc-land-f ... ub-f.shtml

Now we're talking! :thumbsup: Thanks for the feedback guys.

Anthony
LaserCougar
Newb

Postby stealfeathers » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:19 pm

You will learn to appreciate a good hunt when you get one here in nc. I know before i moved here i was disapointed when i didnt shoot my limit by 0830. In nc you are doing good if you have two or three by 0900. Speaking as a, fellow public land hunter. If you are truely an avid waterfowler you can work hard and get some good hunts, if not you will most likely sell your boat and decoys after the first year and pick up fishing. Welcome to nc!!!!!!
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:04 pm

[quoteWelcome to NC. Since you evidently need a place to live, and like to duck hunt, this would make a great wedding present from the inlaws. :thumbsup:

http://www.nclandandfarms.com/nc-land-f ... ub-f.shtml][/quote]

Holy Jinkers Batman! And I thought my $275 turkey lease was expensive :fingerhead:

As everyone said.........hunting here is hard, very hard......even private land hunting which is few and far between unless you know someone or have a couple hundred grand laying around. When I get out of nursing school, my #1 goal is to get out of central nc. But if you are a dedicated hunter you will have the occasional good hunt here. You will have to be at your spot 3 days in advance and spend many nights in your boat to do it. Good Luck!
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:43 pm

I think all of the guys above have pretty much summed it up. The hunting is fair at best. Nothing like it is where you are moving from.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby sneak boat » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:14 am

I will second, third, forth, fifth, and six all of the above. Decent hunts are possible but usually require many hours of scouting. Public lands for the most part you will see more UNETHICAL hunters than ducks. Many of them just don't don't use their brain and I sometimes question if some of them have one at all. Anyway, welcome and good luck. A few guys on here will help you out but many are just total dushbags.
sneak boat
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting