coast trip

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

coast trip

Postby billnconnie » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:12 pm

Went to the coast (Cedar Island) for the first time last year. Could not believe how many ducks I saw! Have already set up a trip for the last weekend in December. Will this be a good time to go ?
Bill
billnconnie
hunter

Postby Whompus Cat » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:06 pm

from what i know it depends on fronts we get fomr the north that push cold temps and birds down, sometimes they migrate the best early, sometimes later in the jan. season, sometimes like last year not much at all, we had a very mild winter...
Whompus Cat
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:01 pm

Who's taking you out? If you go in the Island's Choice store, you can see some of the birds I mounted.
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby billnconnie » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:10 pm

Ira Day I believe is his name, he sure knew were to set us up for bluebill last year.
Bill
billnconnie
hunter

Hog island

Postby greenheadguy » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:28 am

A buddy and mine hunted out around Cedar island last december during a brut of a storm , it was our first time hunting out there so we didnt know what to expect, we had guys running through our decoys multiple times, some people are just jerks but i digress, we ended up shooting 3 blubills there weren't that many birds down there at the time.
greenheadguy
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:23 am

It can get right rough down there when the wind blows hard.
Need to be careful where you hunt too due to tha large amout of "feeding" that goes on down that way....
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby billnconnie » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:49 pm

It was blowing 20 to 30 MPH last year when we went down, Made it tough because when you stood up to shoot the wind would blow you over if you were not careful.
There is just no way we will see as many ducks as we saw last year. Ira was really good about getting us on the ducks, even with the wind blowing so hard.
We got our limit both days.
Bill
billnconnie
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting