Turkeys anyone?

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Turkeys anyone?

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:56 pm

How has everyone been doing this spring? Any luck?
mayhem96
hunter

Re: Turkeys anyone?

Postby trigger22 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:08 pm

Been mighty slow for me. You?
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:10 pm

Hunted two days with a friend who had never killed one. After 5 gobblers and 5 mishaps, she finally shot one this morning. A lot of fun. :thumbsup:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby jcz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:18 pm

Started out red hot!! Was on birds all youth week but couldn't close the deal. Opening Saturday started with a bang. I shot one and my 10 year old daughter shot one that afternoon. Had my 8 year old son out today and we took a little nap only to wake up to a gobbler about to molest my decoys. I nudged him to get him to get ready but the birds saw him moving. Last time I saw that joker he was throwing up a rooster tail as he rounded the corner.

Looked like the road runner getting the hell of dodge.
jcz
hunter

Postby Quack Wacker NC » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:59 pm

Killed one Friday morning, 11 1/4 beard 1 inch spurs, been hit an miss
Quack Wacker NC
Forum Moderator

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:08 pm

Anybody know how to cook the damn things? I took half a breast and put it in a crockpot with veggies and seasonings and just got through feeding it to the dogs. But then again, why would anyone want to eat a field buzzard anyway. I spotted a nice gobbler behind the house this afternoon. I may bust him in the morning. I usually cut off the beard and give the rest to the po' folks or throw 'em in the ditch. I just thought I would try eating one of them. Big mistake. :no:
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:24 pm

I'll take every one of them you shoot. Best tasting game there is IMO. Cut up in strips, roll in salt/pepper/flour mixture and drop in hot grease. Taste like the offspring of chicken and pig ;)
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:21 pm

Alright then. I'll go shoot another one and fry it. Everything is good fried, maybe even a field buzzard! :grooving: Dogs may not like it though. They ate the mess out of one tonight. :wink:
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby Parkerswaterfowl » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:33 pm

Smoke one with hickory chips with some dry rub better than the grocery store
Parkerswaterfowl
hunter

Postby Bloke » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:38 am

Dingbatter 2 wrote:Anybody know how to cook the damn things? I took half a breast and put it in a crockpot with veggies and seasonings and just got through feeding it to the dogs. But then again, why would anyone want to eat a field buzzard anyway. I spotted a nice gobbler behind the house this afternoon. I may bust him in the morning. I usually cut off the beard and give the rest to the po' folks or throw 'em in the ditch. I just thought I would try eating one of them. Big mistake. :no:

Check out the recipe forum. I put one in there a week or so ago. Basically the same except you coat it in some spicy mustard before you bread it and throw a little creole seasoning on it after it comes out of the grease. Best wild game out there besides elk to me.
Make sure their toe nails are wet
Bloke
hunter

Postby Bloke » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:29 am

Well I hate to admit it but I missed a gobbler for the first time on Saturday. The weather was terrible and no birds were gobbling. We ended up just picking a good looking spot at around 8:30 after hearing nothing. Put the decoy out and sat down. The decoy was a little father than I would like but at 38 yards it shouldn't have been a problem. My buddy and I backed up and sat down. I was pulling up my face mask and a bird gobbled randomly and he was only about 150 yards away. I couldn't believe how lucky we were. I pulled out the slate and scratched it, got cut off by him. Scratched it once more and he cut me again. Sat down the slate and pulled the gun up and waited. 1 minute later my buddy says "I see him". When he came into view he was in full strut walking staight to us. There was actually a coon walking towards us and the turkey was behind the coon. The gobbler caught up to the coon and ran him up a tree which I thought was pretty funny. Any how he walked straight in to my modified B-mobile, never hung up a bit. I put the bead on his head and like a dummy I didn't cluck with my mouth call to get him to stick his neck out. Got excited I guess and rushed the shot. Clean miss and I was pissed at myself. Either way it was an awesome hunt. From the time we sat down to the time the turkey was in front of us was no more than 4 minutes. I am usually calm and collected under pressure like that but he had me tore up.
Bloke
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:45 am

Been very slow so far........the daggum wind blows 100mph every day. I had turkeys all over me all during march gobbling all day long every day and running to anything that sounded like a hen clucking, our season comes in WAYYYYYYY too late. Friday is the First calm day that we are supposed to have and the birds should behave better. Love this cool weather hanging around though. Loved hearing the story bloke, sorry about the miss. If you hunt long enough it's going to happen. I missed one at 5 steps one time. If you don't get tore up over a turkey strutting in then something is wrong. :thumbsup:
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby Bloke » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:06 am

I agree with you on the season timing. The birds were gobbling a month ago. I have a draw this weekend so hopefully we can work something out on those educated birds. :no: The day I stop getting tore up is the day I stop for good. Hopefully I will have something to post after the weekend. Good luck with the rest of your season Mauler.
Bloke
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:58 pm

I agree with you on the season timing. The birds were gobbling a month ago. I have a draw this weekend so hopefully we can work something out on those educated birds. :no: The day I stop getting tore up is the day I stop for good. Hopefully I will have something to post after the weekend. Good luck with the rest of your season Mauler.

Birds have been going crazy since the middle/end of February like they always do. I wish our season came in a month sooner than it does and went out when it actually comes in. I mean April 13th???? I always want to go to one of the meetings that the state has as to how and when they set the seasons but when I call the ncwrc I always get the runaround. And good luck on the draw and the rest of your season. Hope you blow one down this weekend! :thumbsup:
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:08 am

I missed one opening day. The birds were gobbling their heads off and then the hens across the street started yelping. I knew the gobblers were going to make their way over to them. I look and a bird flies down (2 year old bird). I look 200 yards away and there is a strutter on the hill. I wait and a big bird flies down fifty yards from me. The two big toms needed some coaxing but they finally came in. The mature bird was strutting, spittin' and drummin'...doing everything you want them to do. They come into the deeks and I shoot twice and miss :no: :no:

1. I wasn't confident because I hadn't patterned my gun enough
2. I found out my choke tube had actually expanded somehow
3. I just like blaming my misses on something other than me

I have been on birds every time I have gone which has been 5 or 6 times. Last week had some birds coming but it got too late and they flew up to roost. I went back to that spot the next morning and two birds stayed about 55 yards out. I was not comfortable with the shot. Two days ago I was blowing my duck call and a bird gobbled behind my neighbor's shed. Threw in a mouth call and that bird and a far off bird gobbled. This one bird double gobbled, triple gobbled, gobbled at crows, when I would cut, yelp, and gobble...he was hot. He gobbled about 55 times but I never saw him.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:42 am

Unfortunately I haven't had the time to go but 6 guys at my club have killed 7 gobblers as of last weekend with 8" being the shortest beard. Hopefully I can free up a weekend to go before season ends.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby QuackAddict95 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:59 am

shot one with a 10 inch beard and 1 inch spurs last friday. He was strutting when i shot him so half of his fan got shot off. He still doesnt have anything on the one i shot last year. 12 inch beard with 1 1/2 inch spurs
QuackAddict95
hunter

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:17 pm

Ill be going tomorrow, good luck to everyone hitting the woods.
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter

Postby wampmagooder » Thu May 02, 2013 2:48 am

I'm with DM, our season comes in a month too late. Birds were going crazy in march just like the always are, then the season came in and all the hens were already in breeding mode and that makes it almost impossible to call a big bird in. It becomes deer hunting which is not nearly as fun. Maybe one of these days the ncwrc will grow some brains and give us an earlier season. I'd be happy if we just had a bow season during march.
wampmagooder
hunter

Postby merganser murderer » Thu May 02, 2013 4:23 pm

wampmagooder wrote:I'm with DM, our season comes in a month too late. Birds were going crazy in march just like the always are, then the season came in and all the hens were already in breeding mode and that makes it almost impossible to call a big bird in. It becomes deer hunting which is not nearly as fun. Maybe one of these days the ncwrc will grow some brains and give us an earlier season. I'd be happy if we just had a bow season during march.

i havent had any problems....i like a little challenge.
merganser murderer
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon May 06, 2013 6:16 am

so the duck season ends too early and the turkey season doesnt start early enough. Do they get any seasons right??
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:21 am

KAhunter wrote:so the duck season ends too early and the turkey season doesnt start early enough. Do they get any seasons right??

Coyote season because it never ends :lol3: :lol3:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Thu May 16, 2013 3:31 am

so the duck season ends too early and the turkey season doesnt start early enough. Do they get any seasons right??

Turkey season has never been right. There is no logical reason at all why it would come in "IN THE MIDDLE OF APRIL" this far south. I've killed my fair share of gobblers. But it just isn't nearly as much fun when you have to start "deer hunting" turkeys because they've quit gobbling or there is 5 hens with every male bird around. I was riding around in late January and watching turkeys strut and gobble. I could be wrong, but I'd say that this year was probably the worst harvest year ever for nc. Out of all the people I know personally, only 2 birds were killed that I know of.
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Thu May 16, 2013 7:42 am

DuckMauler wrote:

Turkey season has never been right. There is no logical reason at all why it would come in "IN THE MIDDLE OF APRIL" this far south. I've killed my fair share of gobblers. But it just isn't nearly as much fun when you have to start "deer hunting" turkeys because they've quit gobbling or there is 5 hens with every male bird around. I was riding around in late January and watching turkeys strut and gobble. I could be wrong, but I'd say that this year was probably the worst harvest year ever for nc. Out of all the people I know personally, only 2 birds were killed that I know of.

Quite the opposite for the Lodge Creek Calls gang here in NC. I have a buddy that tagged out, his wife tagged out, and then his nephew tagged out all on the same farm. Mark killed 1, several other guys killed a bird, so it was a good spring for them :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu May 16, 2013 12:19 pm

mayhem96 wrote:
DuckMauler wrote:

Quite the opposite for the Lodge Creek Calls gang here in NC. I have a buddy that tagged out, his wife tagged out, and then his nephew tagged out all on the same farm. Mark killed 1, several other guys killed a bird, so it was a good spring for them :thumbsup:

Yeah i know a bunch of people who have killed birds. Its been a pretty good year for most of my buddies. Same thing goes for duck season. I have an idea or too on how we could adjust the duck season a little (within the same season parameters) but I dont see any reason that its totally wrong or any reason to go into february. Never gonna please everybody, just have to hope for the best.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Next

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting