got my pintail back.

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

got my pintail back.

Postby stealfeathers » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:21 pm

stealfeathers
hunter

Re: got my pintail back.

Postby Shurshot » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:57 pm

Well, to be perfectly honest, it lacks a lot of detail I personally would have wanted to see in such a nice specimen/mount. It's not that it's not acceptable, rather I would expect more from a taxidermist that mounts birds- If indeed that was the case. I'd look at other taxis next time, even if they were more expensive. Nice bird though.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:14 pm

The same taxidermist did these. Im not disagreeing with you about the pintail, but what detail is it lacking? It was shot early and wasnt in full plume. I honestly dont care just am curious what you have to say.
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed May 01, 2013 7:29 am

Positive criticism...........
Poses do not look natural
Head/neck and wing appearances seem to be off
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Wed May 01, 2013 7:38 am

X2 on the head pose...

I would have wanted to see the wings "cupped up" more. You can definitely tell it was shot early in the year though. It seems like if it was a great taxidermist, he would be able to touch it up somehow. I got my first Wood Duck mounted by a guy and regret that. It was not neat and the position was not realistic. Lesson learned though :thumbsup:

The Mallards look good :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Wed May 01, 2013 8:05 am

EBD's observation is right in step with mine. Neck could be a little more proportionate to head, left wing have more angles instead of a rounded look, right wing and tail section feathers spread out more, and a little added flexibility in the overall pose. I like what you had in mind but I think the execution could have been a little better.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Thu May 02, 2013 12:57 pm

Well, i knew something was off when i realized the wood ducks on my wall look better than it. They are my great grandpas mounts and are 20 years old atleast. But its the memory that counts. Shot this bird on a public crouded impoundment and he was flyin sky high. When i hit the mallard call they cut back. Then i finished the deal with my whistle. My first mountable pintail drake.
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Thu May 02, 2013 1:58 pm

Congrats on the trophy
Mount is not terrible. Just room for some improvements.
Proudly display it :thumbsup:
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Sat May 04, 2013 8:38 pm

First, I'd like to share my thoughts on people critiquing other guys' mounts. Stealfeathers is obviously proud of the mount, since he posted a pic of it. I usually don't comment unless the poster asks for it except maybe a congratulations to the poster on his harvest. To me, it just makes the person who was satisfied become unsatisfied with his mount.

With that said, early season specimens are difficult because half the feathers usually wind up on the shop floor. I've got to where I recommend customers not mount less than fully plumed birds. I broke a guy's heart last season when he brought in his first redhead. He was PROUD and I was happy for him. After inspecting the bird, it was a young one that still had lots and I mean lots of brown feathers in the neck area and the tail feathers were still "notched". I advised him that I wouldn't spend $300 on that bird and showed him why. He went back and forth on it for a few minutes but ultimately sided with my "professional" opinion. Now, he is/was a repeat customer and I hope he will come back. But, I knew that if I mounted that bird for him and even if I did a great job on it, he would look at it in the coming years and be disappointed that he got such a poor quality specimen mounted.

As for the OP's mount, the taxidermist did a fairly clean mount. The part that is lacking is the anatomy. The wing shape and neck attitude are incorrect for the pose and like 90% of the bird mounts I see, the neck skin is not pulled forward as it should have been. If those two areas were correct and the feet were injected better, you guys would have loved that mount. The grooming of the feathers isn't bad at all and the paint looks good on the bill and feet. I see quite a few competition mounts at every show that I attend that don't even come close to that mount. The mallards have the same exact issues. If whoever mounted those birds will spend just a little time studying reference, he/she will be able to turn out top quality mounts. That is the exact reason I spent $2000 on my reference aviary and live birds and many more thousands of dollars attending shows and competitions. Now, people complain because I take too long and/or charge too much.

Again, not a bad mount...but realize there are just a handful of taxidermists in NC who consistently turn out bird work better than that.
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Mon May 06, 2013 9:26 pm

Thanks for the input. May have something to do with this was the first pintail he has ever mounted. Also, it was pretty cheap and very fast turn around. The taxidermist has never been to a school, he is all self taught and will tell you he is still learning. He had a problem with some of the feathers trying to pop up after they were glued or something like that. Thanks for the input though.
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:23 am

It's definitely clear it was shot earlier in the season but that thing has one heck of a sprig :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Tue May 07, 2013 8:12 pm

Sprig was off a diff bird that ate the wad at about 10 yards
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:44 pm

stealfeathers wrote:Sprig was off a diff bird that ate the wad at about 10 yards

I was about to say...that's rare to see a huge sprig like that early in the season!
mayhem96
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting