North Dakota Freelance - Any Interest?

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

North Dakota Freelance - Any Interest?

Postby BKScripto » Tue May 07, 2013 6:57 pm

I live in the piedmont area of North Carolina, in between Charlotte and Winston Salem. I've been dreaming of a freelance hunt in North Dakota for a few years now; I just can't get any of my hunting partners to commit, they don't have the fever as bad as I do I guess :)

I'm looking to pack up gear and dekes to hunt potholes mainly, but also want to take a field set up for both ducks and geese. Looking at the Garrison or Devil's Lake area. Last of October, first of November time frame.

I thought if anyone was interested we could get together and plan it out over the summer.

Anybody around the area that would be interested?
BKScripto
hunter

Re: North Dakota Freelance - Any Interest?

Postby mayhem96 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:36 pm

I would love to go someday. I have several friends that have gone and they all say it's a blast :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby H2OfowlND » Sat May 11, 2013 5:07 pm

IMO - stay away from the DL area, it's all posted up for guiding outfits. The Garrison area is in the 'Oil Patch', so get looking for hotel rooms now! There are camp grounds around the area, so you can use those too if you pull something up.

How I know this, I'm from ND and hunted it all my life.

Mike
H2O
H2OfowlND
hunter

Postby Quack Wacker NC » Sat May 11, 2013 8:58 pm

Try to stay about 1 hr away from DL area like he said its a mess , where abouts do u live between Charlotte and Winston
Quack Wacker NC
Forum Moderator

Postby BKScripto » Sat May 11, 2013 9:05 pm

Thanks for the info, guys.

Quack Whaker, I live in Statesville.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby QuackHead89 » Mon May 13, 2013 6:02 pm

If you were talking DecemberI'd be interested. With school I can't do any trips really until mid december, unless its Thursday-Sunday type deal. I actually think I've decided on an Arkansas trip for the end of December right now.
QuackHead89
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Mon May 13, 2013 6:14 pm

The best time to hit NoDak is late October/early November. By December everything is froze up so I'm told.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby QuackHead89 » Wed May 15, 2013 6:12 pm

That makes sense. I know a guy that did a Nodak trip the week before the second split of NC opened and they smashed them. Best of luck to you.
QuackHead89
hunter

Postby layoutchase » Thu May 16, 2013 11:31 am

Freelance Info -

I did it last year and hunted the Devils Lake area. My partners backed out on me the week before departing so I went alone...

Drive time from Edenton NC to Devils Lake (avoid Chicago) 30 hours.
It's about 5 tanks of gas, depending on your truck, to get out there.
Forget about field hunting around devils lake. They're are plenty of Waterfowl Production Areas.
You'll have to drive alot, and walk a bit to check out the hidden places.
I shot limits over one dozen decoys everyday. Mostly BWT and Gadwalls, but shot 16 species in 6 days. Only killed two greenheads, though.
Stay at a state park, if available. Grahams Island SP has tiny cabins for rent. The bath house may be closed though.
Don't hunt the indian reservation.
Most potholes are get to about 4 ft deep, so walk your decoys out, don't toss them. And smaller potholes make fore easier retrieves.
Hotel prices range from 80 to 120 per night.
Most roads are dirt and stay off of the "No Winter Maintenance" roads - they're a wreck.

If you need more info, PM me. Trip of a lifetime. I'm going again in November.
It's mine...and full off errors and lies. Check it out, though!
http://northcarolinaduckhunting.blogspot.com/
layoutchase
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Thu May 16, 2013 11:42 am

layoutchase wrote:Freelance Info -

I did it last year and hunted the Devils Lake area. My partners backed out on me the week before departing so I went alone...

Forget about field hunting around devils lake. They're are plenty of Waterfowl Production Areas.
I shot limits over one dozen decoys everyday. Mostly BWT and Gadwalls, but shot 16 species in 6 days. Only killed two greenheads, though.
Stay at a state park, if available. Grahams Island SP has tiny cabins for rent. The bath house may be closed though.
Most potholes are get to about 4 ft deep, so walk your decoys out, don't toss them. And smaller potholes make fore easier retrieves.
Most roads are dirt and stay off of the "No Winter Maintenance" roads - they're a wreck.

Not bad...invite me...I won't back out :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Thu May 16, 2013 12:29 pm

layoutchase wrote:Freelance Info -

PM sent my man!
BKScripto
hunter

Postby gvegas88 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:27 pm

Did it last year with just the dog. Hunted all private land (knocked on doors) in north central ND. Second week of october. Smoked the ducks/geese/sharptails like you wouldn't believe. It's nuts out there. Shoot me an email if you guys have questions.

-T
Tyler
gvegas88
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Fri May 17, 2013 12:05 pm

gvegas88 wrote:Did it last year with just the dog. Hunted all private land (knocked on doors) in north central ND. Second week of october. Smoked the ducks/geese/sharptails like you wouldn't believe. It's nuts out there. Shoot me an email if you guys have questions.

-T

PM sent
BKScripto
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting