Food Plots

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Food Plots

Postby Hunter_the_hunter » Mon May 20, 2013 8:41 pm

I have a pond that varies in depths from about 8 feet to 12 inches and it is currently producing reed grass that grows at the bottom of the pond and the ducks seemed to love it this past season. I am wondering if I will need to plant anything else in and around the pond to expand the variety of ducks for next season. All I saw last season was ring necks woodies and mergansers. Any help appreciated!
Hunter_the_hunter
Newb

Re: Food Plots

Postby KAhunter » Tue May 21, 2013 11:41 am

Can you manage the water, ie drain it then flood it again? You can try some arrow arrum and other natural stuff in the shallower areas that stay wet all year.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby Hunter_the_hunter » Tue May 21, 2013 2:47 pm

No the water is not manageable it holds water yearround. Would that affect me being able to plant anything?
Hunter_the_hunter
Newb

Postby KAhunter » Fri May 24, 2013 9:09 am

try arrow arum, duck potato, bulrush. Contact wildlife nurseries they have all the stuff you need.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting