Sunday Hunting

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Sunday Hunting

Postby gary.brock1 » Thu May 23, 2013 5:10 pm

I am sure there are differing views on Sunday hunting. However, as a military member who has had the privilege to hunt numerous states, the Sunday hunting law is quite constricting. For those Delta Waterfowl members, you probably received the email notifying members that the Sunday hunting bills were held up in the committee. I did email the committee members and received one response so far from Senator Jackson's office. I have pasted it below. I hope at a minimum that hunting on Sundays can become a basic freedom for all state hunters and not a legislated restriction. I am not here to debate religion, I am simply attempting to inform my fellow hunters on issues relevant to our passion.

Senator Jackson will not support Sunday hunting in North Carolina due to personal reasons. While he fully recognizes this may be an inconvenience to some, he hopes that everyone will understand that to him Sunday hunting, and Sunday voting for that matter, should not take place. Everyone deserves a day to rest.

Sincerely,

Jimmy Johnson
Legislative Assistant
Office of Senator Brent Jackson
North Carolina General Assembly
(919) 733-5705
gary.brock1
Newb

Re: Sunday Hunting

Postby Paul26 » Thu May 23, 2013 7:29 pm

I find it incredible that an elected official would say that...even if it is his staffer. what in the hell does his personal preference have to do with what is fair and right for the people of NC? Wow.
Paul26
hunter

Postby CountryRN » Fri May 24, 2013 7:34 am

I am a little conflicted on this one. There are many times that Sunday is the only day of the week I would have an opportunity to hunt so I am not against it. On the other hand I do believe that everything does deserve a day of rest.
NC voted to let us bow hunt on Sundays a couple of years ago and I have been once or twice.
ImageCyberscouting Image
CountryRN
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Sat May 25, 2013 6:07 am

Sunday hunting is wrong for waterfowl...period, unless the feds give more days, and I really don't care to hear all the old, worn out pleas about the working stiffs, etc. I could care less about all the other species...you can hunt them all you want 24/7 for all I care. But Sunday hunting for waterfowl the way the bill is written will cut my season by over 15%, because I have absolutely NO access to private land. Ans most of the "working stiffs" out there don't, either, and will gain nothing from the bill.

As for how the legislator votes, that's part of his candidacy when he runs. If his constituents don't like it, they can vote for somebody else next time. Every time somebody runs for office in this country, he is elected...supposedly...for his personal views. If his views most closely coincide with yours, he's your man. If not, you vote for his opponent. Basic politics.
wahoowilly
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting