Crabbing

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Crabbing

Postby KAhunter » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:00 am

I am gonna cyberscout and try to get some info on crabbing lake mattamuskeet. Going to our place in Tyrell county next weekend with the gf for an engagement party in edenton. She loves crabs so i wanted to take her down to the lake and show her around and do a little crabbing. Can someone point me in the right direction as to a good place to go? I have heard the culverts on the causeway can be good but i know they can get busy so i want to maybe try some other spots that may be less crowded. Thanks.

PM if you dont want to give away any good spots.
Last edited by KAhunter on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Re: Crabbing

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:06 am

Go to the culverts in Hyde county :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:13 am

Went just this past weekend. Culvert pipes along 94, lake landing canal, area around the old lodge inside the refuge, and any other canals along the lake. Be sure to have your license and follow the rules according to crabbing at the lake because I have been checked by the gw just about every time I have gone. We did find one little honey hole that no one else was using off the beaten path that had some crabs in it so big you would call bs if I gave you the size. Go looking for some bears also because they are out and about. We saw 6 fri evening and 4 sat am.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby TooTall » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:49 pm

Downtown Greenville on a Friday night. Lot of crabs to choose from...

However if you're looking for big crabs, I have to second EBD. Mattamuskeet has some bruisers.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:17 am

BTW
You are welcome for the info/reply to your post......
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:45 am

Yeha i am gonna try and find some out of the way places at the lake with the gf this weekend. Hoping to catch a few for the pot!!
EBD - Thank you SOOOO much. You knowledge and expertise with everything to do with hunting and fishing is just so amazing to me. I really really dont know how I would go on without your guidance. I mean really, its awe-inspiring. Haha sorry i didnt thank you immediately. :huh:
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

KAhunter
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:21 pm

Just making a point. I don't consider myself old, but you younger generation dudes lack any appreciation or manners. A simple thanks goes a long way in my book. This is one of the reasons why I don't post much up on here. I guess it is an entitlement thing......
Glad I was able to help you out a little bit and be honest--- you had no intentions of posting back to this thread to thank myself or others. The only follow up post would be a bragging "look at what I caught" post
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:35 pm

I do appreciate the help and I am looking forward to going. Hoping to find a little sweet spot on my own. I dont really ask much on here (and i try to say thanks if i do) nor do i post bragging pics too often nor am i am young guy (28 is still youngish i guess) or without manners or appreciation. I am not sure how you lumped me in with all of that but think what you want.

KAhunter
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:50 pm

Well we caught a few but the rain moved in. Was a good time either way and they tastes great

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

KAhunter
hunter

Postby ncdrumchaser » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:33 pm

man were they swimming today! did really well on the biguns! our kids had a blast. made it back to manteo to steam them up for a early dinner, then watched the fire works with good friends! crazy thing though......we only saw one other couple from NC (creswell) all Pa, Oh, Va.and West Va. happy fourth!
becuase you leave at 2 am to hunt ducks... makes me glad we have blind laws!
ncdrumchaser
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting