Boat ramp etiquette!

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Boat ramp etiquette!

Postby THIN MAN » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:55 pm

This is for anyone who doesn't have a clue about proper boat ramp etiquette. I know that nobody on here does these things, but if you do here are a few tips.
1. Practice backing you trailer at home, not at a crowded boat launch!
2. If there is a line at the ramp, GET AT THE BACK. Public ramps are first come first serve!
3. While waiting your turn untie and prep your boat at this point, not while you are sitting on the ramp!
4. If the ramp has room for two vessels, use one side or the other not STRAIT DOWN THE MIDDLE!!!
5. Once the boat is in the water move it to the side so others can use the ramp while you park!
6. If you must use the battery from your tow vehicle to operate the boat you will need to refer back to tip #5!
7. Now here's where it gets tricky people! Once you return to the ramp from your time on the water, you will be getting in another line so pay close attention to who was there when you arrived so you don't step on anyones toes!
8. If you didn't use tip #1 lets hope the launching process warmed you up for the loading process!
9. Load your boat onto the trailer as quickly as possible and move it out of the way. Once clear of everyone else you can unload your gear and tie down the boat!
10. Once out of the water you discover the boat is on the trailer crooked, you will need to refer back to tips 1-9!

Sorry for the rant guy's, just needed to vent.

THIN MAN
For we were born yesterday,and know nothing,
because our days on earth are only a shadow.

JOB 8:9
THIN MAN
hunter

Postby Whompus Cat » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:19 pm

i have another one, dont stand there and criticize someone, give them a hand...last weekend i had a group of folks watching and criticizing myself, and the people in front of me for using an electric winch to pull his boat up. the men were like 60 or 70 years old. i didnt know but my girlfriend was standing there and they were talking all kinds of smack about us doing this and that wrong...it made me fighting mad when my girlfriend told me, just for they fact that they could help someone instead they act like they know everything about a boat. little do they know i have worked at two different marinas and have probably docked and operated way more boats than they will ever touch...if im not busy with my boat i am always helping someone that needs it...it might come back to ya, thats my two cents
Whompus Cat
Membership permanently suspended

Postby NCSUDucker » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:31 pm

Good post on both parts....

I might add, don't get in line if the line is short and you need to undo straps, stow gear, etc...just pull to the side.

One more, how bout turning off those brights as you back down the ramp.

Ducker
A good friend will bail you out of jail...A TRUE friend will say, "Damn that was fun!"
NCSUDucker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Duck U 2 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:31 am

I have seen some true comedy at boat ramps. Many, many stories!

I'm w/ Ducker on turning off the brights. I just run my parking lights when backing down.

Here's tip. If the ramp is iced up back down with the truck in neutral. You will possibly need 4wd to pull out.

Bill dance did a show once on how to teach your "wife" how to back a boat. I really think Bill was wanting to teach the guys who don't know how it's done.
Not everyone grew up around boats or spends every weekend on the water as some of us do. A little paitence and a helping hand goes a long way. We're all out there to have a good time. Not get bent out of shape.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:09 am

I get a kick out of watching some of the shenanigans that go on at the boat ramps. If the fishing gets slow, I just anchor out by the ramp and watch!!! :laughing:
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby Monroeduck » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:36 am

Witnessed this one first hand on the rock. If you are just taking your boat out for a quick spin to test out some repair, that doesn't allow you to park your truck and trailer on the RAMP cause you planning on comming right back.

:pissed:
Monroeduck
hunter

Postby Whompus Cat » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:07 pm

you guys are right, there is plenty of comedy, i've seen fires, people fall in and everything...i wont never forget some old folks were spot fishing a couple years ago about this time. they were having motor trouble so they sprayed break cleaner on the starter and what not to try and clean the gunk off. then they used a screwdriver to try and start it, causing a fire. the guys started flipping out so one of them got a five gallon bucket of saltwater and poored it over the fire, and outboard motor... i couldnt laugh at the time but i sure did after they got out of the marina...
Whompus Cat
Membership permanently suspended

tip1

Postby greenheadguy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:40 pm

I like Tip 1, i hate it when unexperienced boaters try to put in at a crowded boat ramp in the morning, i watched a guy one time back up and pull up about 10 times.
greenheadguy
hunter

Postby fish&fowl loco » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:07 pm

Seen this last year don't unhook your baot before you back down the ramp when it's cold. Your buddy may stop before you get to the water and boat may land on ramp.

Ducker is correct about the lights and if you have a GM with the day time lights just push the park brake till you get one click the lights will go out and you can still drive. :umm:
If mergansers were pintails I would be a happy man
fish&fowl loco
hunter

Postby TARHEEL3ID » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:51 pm

how about a little reminder. If you are trying to unload you boat alone, make sure that you have the parking brakes set. About 15 years ago on Badin I saw a guys truck and trailer in the lake. He didn't set the brakes and about a foot of the cab of his truck was sticking out of the water.
TARHEEL3ID
hunter

Postby Gopack » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:54 am

And if you're putting your sailboat in at Ebenezor ramp on LAke Jordan:DON'T
1. Rig it in a parking space, not in tie down spot.
The next car/truck I see park in a Truck/Trailor parking space 2 spaces from the ramp because,".....it's conveinient". 1 thought, 3.5 Magnums!!!!!! :pissed:
And also the ramp isn't the corner watering hole to share stories of how your hunt went with buddies,get the hell out of the way!!
Gopack
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting